Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a couple of years there are going to be so many Supercharger locations in California that people won't even bother starting a thread about a new location, it will be a non-event. Us old timers will fondly look back on the days "long ago" (meaning maybe 5 years) when a new Supercharger site was celebrated and owners anxiously monitored the construction progress. That will seem like ancient history. :cool:

Call me an old timer. Our Model S is over four years old and there were about six (6) superchargers in the entire country then! They also weren't as busy, but I'm not complaining.

IMG_1391.JPG

Tell me about it! I swear those 90 kW superchargers were better than what we have today with the queuing, throttling, etc.

Reactions: gaswalla
A little birdie (not saying it was correct but it seems quite educated) told me that the San Dimas Supercharger will be going into the Costco Center which is right on the San Dimas / Glendora border.

Lots of food, etc. However parking can sometimes be a little packed there. Will be curious to see where they put the chargers if this is indeed the spot. Usually near the tire shop at Costco is the lightest parking.
c.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Lump and emupilot
We have a large flock of very noisy parrots here in Pasadena. Any chance they ever speak to you?

RT
One of the employees at the Pasadena gallery told me it was going somewhere on Lake Ave. My first reaction was that there's not a ton of open parking space on Lake, other than in the lots behind Shopper's Lane or whatever it's called. Take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: RubberToe
It's hard to put it anyway near old town Pasadena or near lake. There not a whole lot of spaces or parking public parking structures to use. Getting to them off the freeway would be hard too.

Off Madre or Rosemead might be more reasonable. Like the Metro Parking Space. Or north side of 210 off Fair Oak or Lake there might be spaces?

One of the employees at the Pasadena gallery told me it was going somewhere on Lake Ave. My first reaction was that there's not a ton of open parking space on Lake, other than in the lots behind Shopper's Lane or whatever it's called. Take that for what it's worth.

I'll start regular scouting of the area. The store fronts on Lake have ample parking behind them. If you go to Google maps look at Hudson (1 block West of Lake) from California Ave going North to Walnut. Any one of those parking areas would work. Pretty easy freeway access too. Exit Lake, then to get back on you go North on Hudson, right on Walnut, left onto freeway.

Rosemead offers more room, but for an urban charger closer to old Town is better. Lake serves both long distance and urban chargers.

That lot behind the store is the Absolute best spot. I can't imagine what that lot would cost to buy or lease.

RT

I just took a gander at Tesla's supercharger site and see there is now a site planned for Beverly Hills! 2018. Well, I guess this proves the theory of density charging. BH is nowhere near any traveler's route. Not even at it's closest border, and not without going through a lot of congested streets.

If you look carefully the entire 210 freeway once east of Pasadena is a wasteland -

the SC in Rancho is in a hugely traffic dense area - I wish Tesla would put these things in EMPTY places - like a JC Penney/Sears/K Mart lot - most of the city based SC's are in busy locations - stick them in Commuter Lots - train station - places there where are no people.

I'm assuming they are not in government lots because government is impossibly slow to ddeal with - but the rate at which Tesla is putting them in - should not be a problem.

Once the Model 3 comes online in larger numbers I fear the chargers will be overwhelmed.

Once the Model 3 comes online in larger numbers I fear the chargers will be overwhelmed.

Fear not. TL;DR version: All is yet quite well.

It will take at least a couple of years to get 250,000 Model 3s produced. Approximately half of those are for non-US markets (e.g, the rest of the world). Of the remainder, approximately 40% will end up in California.

250K * 50% * 40% = 50,000 cars. By, say, early 2020. Statewide.

Keep in mind:

1. CA is the #7 economy in the world (give or take a spot). Lots of innovation and still some instances of progressive governing going on.

2. The CA-only portion of the VW Dieselgate scandal is $800M. It was $1.2B, and somehow $400M disappeared - colour me shocked. Anyway, to further set context, $800M is approximately 3000 supercharger sites. There aren't even 500 SC locations in North America yet. And while not a dime of Dieselgate money will go toward a SC location, that $800M is specifically earmarked for chargers and the maintenance thereof and it will buy tens of thousands of them statewide.

3. The state's 2 largest utilities have committed to 12,500 L2 and L3 chargers statewide.

4. Large-scale installations are afoot - see JPL's 50 L2s, and Costco's commitment to 12-16 L2s (Lomita) at least for new construction.

5. Proven models (see Aerovironment's $19.95/month unlimited Chademo plan) have been successful elsewhere (see Oregon Coast), and it's just a matter of time before some firm solves the puzzle in CA. Canada's deployment of at least 1 EV charger per gas station up north in some fairly remote areas (e.g., 125 miles north of Edmonton) is impressive.

6. At $0.20/kW, few Model 3 owners who have home charging will use SCs instead of home charging - especially when they figure out the practical urban limitations upon range that can easily account for 30% less range and therefore 30% more cost for which to budget. As a result, those who don't have home charging will be quite vocal in getting it either at home or at the office or where they shop, work out, or eat. We already see this proliferation in the Beach Cities at grocery stores, gyms, restaurants and bars, along with office buildings.

7. Businesses will become more aware of HPWCs being a differentiator, not to mention SCs urban and otherwise - once they have them, their business shows up in the Nav - and that's worth money.

Limitations:

1. From an overall perspective, most of the non-Tesla fast chargers are singlets and that's just not practical for scale.

2. Neither CCS nor Chademo have emerged as the standard for fast charging yet. Rumor has it that CCS has the edge, and that's what the Chevy Bolt includes, but the Nissan Leaf has Chademo. Bleh.

Summary:

CA supercharging sites are in no danger of getting overrun by Model 3s anytime soon. Tesla has the capability to stay ahead of demand for a while yet.

The pain will be felt by Bolt and Leaf owners as their ranges increase. I already saw a brand new Bolt owner try to plug in at SpaceX and it was somewhere between comical and painful. Fortunately, the kindly but firm security guard who 86d the offending fellow did note that there were J-1772s quite nearby, and patiently directed him thereto.