Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been tracking Supercharge.info looking for new info on the Laguna Hills and Laguna Woods chargers, but nothing yet.

supercharge.info

These two locations would be most useful locally.

EV-Stations-MV-Area-2021-12-6.png

I have tried finding info about permits on the LH website, but haven't found an area yet that shows apps etc. Suggestions on how to dig for permits would be welcome. Otherwise I should probably just check all the shopping centers in these cities every week or so...

The fact that there's no Supercharger or even a usable Destination Charger (other than for 1 hotel's guests) within walking distance of the Irvine Spectrum is an absolute joke as well.

The Mission Viejo mall one is good to have, but it's overwhelmed when I've visited. They need way more than 10...

Reactions: corywright
The fact that there's no Supercharger or even a usable Destination Charger (other than for 1 hotel's guests) within walking distance of the Irvine Spectrum is an absolute joke as well.

I think the Irvine Company has pretty much made up their minds on this one. They're building out Chademo/CCS Chargepoint stations, not Superchargers. This is based on what they've done at other nearby shopping centers they own/manage.

Reactions: Falcon73
In addition to the planned Laguna Hills and Laguna Woods chargers I've been looking for, there are two other chargers slated for earlier openings (Q4 2021) that I don't see threads on yet. These are supposed to be in Tustin and Brea. Tustin has a site that just opened last month on another thread, but this is showing as a different one.

Tustin, CA - Target opening in Q4 2021

And here's the other Brea one:

Brea, CA - Target opening in Q4 2021

Does anyone know if there's a list of SuCs with Level 2 stations? Specifically in Southern CA.
One way you could do this is with something like plugshare or supercharge.info and a lot of manual work to hone in on locations with both.

Not something most people would be willing to spend the time creating. The data for locations is readily available for Superchargers and for L2 stations. I don't think you can filter to find only spots with both, though. If you filter with Supercharger and J-1772, you'll see a sea of the latter and a smattering of SpCh sites. Hone in on the SpCh sites and see if there's a J-1772 station in the vicinity.

Reactions: tengtengvn
One way you could do this is with something like plugshare or supercharge.info and a lot of manual work to hone in on locations with both.

Not something most people would be willing to spend the time creating. The data for locations is readily available for Superchargers and for L2 stations. I don't think you can filter to find only spots with both, though. If you filter with Supercharger and J-1772, you'll see a sea of the latter and a smattering of SpCh sites. Hone in on the SpCh sites and see if there's a J-1772 station in the vicinity.
Yes, that's what I did to find the L2 stations. I was able to update plugshare to add the L2 stations to Kettleman City SuC but the edit button isn't visible for the Manteca SuC. I think it'd help the owners with disabled SuC and other EV owners with Tesla to J1772 adapter.

Reactions: rxlawdude
You can't really read Tesla's map that way now. Not since the beginning of 2021 when they established their new mapping policies. Now sites that aren't advanced in development enough get removed from the map even if Tesla is still working towards a supercharger there. Removal therefore doesn't mean the location has been dropped or cancelled.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
You can't really read Tesla's map that way now. Not since the beginning of 2021 when they established their new mapping policies. Now sites that aren't advanced in development enough get removed from the map even if Tesla is still working towards a supercharger there. Removal therefore doesn't mean the location has been dropped or cancelled.
Huntington Beach wasn't removed, and as far as I know, they haven't even picked a potential site yet. No permits, no signs of any activity. Yet that site is still on the map.

that map is full of errors and is no longer meaningful. There are sites under construction that are missing.. and also recently opened sites missing as well
Sometimes it takes a few days or weeks for the map to catch up.

Also, I noticed something interesting, and maybe this is old news. In other ways, the map has improved in accuracy. For example, West Hollywood's pin is at the exact site of the upcoming supercharger, as opposed to being pinned at the center of the city. This could be useful: if a pin for a proposed location seems to have a specific location, we can search those sites for activity and permits.

Reactions: gaswalla