Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason not to Supercharge is the absurd rates: approaching $.60/kWh, making it multiples of utility rates.

Early rates were in the $.20-.$35/kWh, which quickly increased (doubling!) to where it's very close to equivalent gasoline prices. A very far cry from my 2015 MS with free lifetime Supercharging.

So much for not wanting to profit from Superchargers.

@rxlawdude I think you need to be careful there. You say $0.60/kWh is multiples of utility rates. But is it really? I don't think so.

Take me for example, people say Oregon has some of the cheapest rates, we do, but they tend to quote the energy cost which is $0.07/kWh. They forget to include the distribution and transmission charges as well as base charges and taxes. Once you take that all into account it costs me just over $0.14/kWh to charge at home. (Non-TOU plan.) The closest Supercharger to me charges $0.32/kWh, just over double my cost at home. (But is way faster than I can charge at home, so I would be paying for the convivence of the faster charging.)

In California the PG&E peak TOU rate is currently $0.49/kWh. (Off peak, in winter, is $0.28/kWh.) If you go with their EV plans the peak rates are $0.58-$0.60/kWh and the off-peak is $0.24/kWh. (I don't know if those figures include the base charges and all of the taxes and fees or not.)

So Tesla charging almost $0.60/kWh during peak times is not absurd or multiples of utility rates, the peak charge is barely double the at home off-peak cost. (And don't forget that they have to deal with demand charges and other fees that homeowners don't have to deal with.)

So while Tesla has started charging much more, I think their rates are reasonable. (They are probably breaking even or making just enough profit to allow them to expand the Supercharger network.) Do competitors, like EA, charge less? Yes, but they have fewer, less reliable, stalls; most of which are lower powered.

How much do you pay at home to charge during peak hours?

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Supercharging is very important to me in So Cal. We drive a lot here, and I do have a level 2 at my home. That said, I also have free supercharging on my S, and a supercharger 3 miles from my house, and one block from my business - so my fuel expenses on my S are close to zero dollars, no small deal in these days of $7 per gal gas. I have a Model 3 that charges at home at night, so that minimizes my fuel expense on that car, too. So I can drive all I need to, and spend almost nothing for 2 vehicles on fuel. Yeah, I love the Superchargers...

Reactions: Falcon73
@rxlawdude I think you need to be careful there. You say $0.60/kWh is multiples of utility rates. But is it really? I don't think so.

Take me for example, people say Oregon has some of the cheapest rates, we do, but they tend to quote the energy cost which is $0.07/kWh. They forget to include the distribution and transmission charges as well as base charges and taxes. Once you take that all into account it costs me just over $0.14/kWh to charge at home. (Non-TOU plan.) The closest Supercharger to me charges $0.32/kWh, just over double my cost at home. (But is way faster than I can charge at home, so I would be paying for the convivence of the faster charging.)

In California the PG&E peak TOU rate is currently $0.49/kWh. (Off peak, in winter, is $0.28/kWh.) If you go with their EV plans the peak rates are $0.58-$0.60/kWh and the off-peak is $0.24/kWh. (I don't know if those figures include the base charges and all of the taxes and fees or not.)

So Tesla charging almost $0.60/kWh during peak times is not absurd or multiples of utility rates, the peak charge is barely double the at home off-peak cost. (And don't forget that they have to deal with demand charges and other fees that homeowners don't have to deal with.)

So while Tesla has started charging much more, I think their rates are reasonable. (They are probably breaking even or making just enough profit to allow them to expand the Supercharger network.) Do competitors, like EA, charge less? Yes, but they have fewer, less reliable, stalls; most of which are lower powered.

Keep in mind these are residential fees. In California business’ feel the pain much worse. Not by kWh but with kW demand charges.

is every single supercharger in LA .60/kwh or just a select few?
The $.60 (okay, $.58 ... I rounded)/kWh was in San Diego County, in a town called Santa Isabella. San Diego Gas and Electric has the highest electric rates in the lower 48. I home charge for $.19/kWh routinely, so I was rather shocked at the 25% jump at that location in less than a year. I only Supercharge on road trips, so haven't closely checked the slope of the rate increases.

Many Supercharger locations had time-of-use (TOU) peak and off peak rates, with late evening and overnight rates lower because solar net generation covered most daytime demand and smaller demand at night required limited use of hydrocarbon fueled peaker plants. Ironically, the Investor Owned Utilities caught on and flipped the TOU rates, making 9a-5p the off peak times, and the evenings and overnight rates higher. ( SCE customers, no more Super-off-peak rates for you!) This results in a 40% plus increase when using the cheapest rate now available. (Plus, more EVs that are home charging at night flip the demand times.)

Many will question why this is a big deal, since gasoline prices have doubled. You can't invest your way to cheaper end-products anticipating more demand by oversizing refineries, and refineries have in fact been shuttered due to lower demand of products. Well, here's the result.

With the IOUs, infrastructure improvements have gravitated towards fire risk mitigation. Understandable because California is encouraging moves away from hydrocarbon power. Well, here's the result.

$.54/kWh 4-9pm M-F, including generation and distribution. Weekends $.40/kWh 4-9pm. $.21 all other times and days.

I work from home and don't need to charge at night like I used to as a pre pandemic commuter, so I enjoy the rough equivalent of $2.40/gal gasoline. I certainly don't expect this to last, especially with what the IOUs plan in their 2023 rate applications.

The latest Pasadena Municipal Services committee agenda included a reference to a planned DCFC site with 36 chargers. :oops: The City isn't going to be installing 36 DCFCs at any single site, and there is only one company I know of that might be planning something like this...

AR1.png
AR2.png

The City isn't going to be installing 36 DCFCs at any single site, and there is only one company I know of that might be planning something like this...
Plus they've already partnered with Tesla on 3 other sizable charging plaza locations, the Marengo Garage, the Arroyo parkway lot, and the location on S. Lake that is just starting to be built.

I don't believe these proposed chargers are located in a garage at all, just next to the garage? The garage behind these isn't a pay lot either, at the moment at least. That garage is usually pretty empty aside from when HD uses up a big chunk of their parking lot for christmas trees.

Always thought the weird parking lot island on the east side of this lot would make for a good EV charging spot. I guess since this space is currently unused it's more appealing to the city.

I just wish Pasadena would stop putting them in PAY garages

The $.60 (okay, $.58 ... I rounded)/kWh was in San Diego County, in a town called Santa Isabella. San Diego Gas and Electric has the highest electric rates in the lower 48. I home charge for $.19/kWh routinely, so I was rather shocked at the 25% jump at that location in less than a year. I only Supercharge on road trips, so haven't closely checked the slope of the rate increases.

Many Supercharger locations had time-of-use (TOU) peak and off peak rates, with late evening and overnight rates lower because solar net generation covered most daytime demand and smaller demand at night required limited use of hydrocarbon fueled peaker plants. Ironically, the Investor Owned Utilities caught on and flipped the TOU rates, making 9a-5p the off peak times, and the evenings and overnight rates higher. ( SCE customers, no more Super-off-peak rates for you!) This results in a 40% plus increase when using the cheapest rate now available. (Plus, more EVs that are home charging at night flip the demand times.)

Many will question why this is a big deal, since gasoline prices have doubled. You can't invest your way to cheaper end-products anticipating more demand by oversizing refineries, and refineries have in fact been shuttered due to lower demand of products. Well, here's the result.

With the IOUs, infrastructure improvements have gravitated towards fire risk mitigation. Understandable because California is encouraging moves away from hydrocarbon power. Well, here's the result.
Anyone who owns a home that can have solar should get solar. I live in SCE territory and put in solar 9-years ago. I pay about $100 for one year of net metering that covers my home and charging two Teslas. 10-years ago, SCE Tier 1 was $0.135kWh, Tier 1 is now $0.286kWh. Cost for solar was recovered in <3-years when I include annual gas for two ICE vehicles which was $5,800 when gas was $3.69gal average. Gas in my area is now $5.99average (it was $6.49 a month ago). Long distance travel highest annual SC cost I have had was $78. We always stay at hotels that provide free charging. Stop being a slave to utilities, free yourself from ever increasing utility rates and get solar if you can. Solar with batteries will also free you from any TOU penalties and power disruptions. It was an investment in myself that has never stopped paying me every year. I no longer care how much I drive with solar home charging.

I see Laguna Hills is back on the find us map as coming soon. That's good news. Lake Forest is a new one, but still no sign of the Laguna Woods previously planned location on the map. Mission Viejo is a new pin too, but they never did add Kaleidoscope, so it might be that one, but I hope it's a new site. These 3 all show Q1 '23 on the map.

We definitely need more sites in S. OC! I wonder how MV Mall is looking these days. Well, no better I'm sure.

Last edited:
I see Laguna Hills is back on the find us map as coming soon. That's good news. Lake Forest is a new one, but still no sign of the Laguna Woods previously planned location on the map. Mission Viejo is a new pin too, but they never did add Kaleidoscope, so it might be that one, but I hope it's a new site. These 3 all show Q1 '23 on the map.

We definitely need more sites in S. OC! I wonder how MV Mall is looking these days. Well, no better I'm sure.
where are the proposed charging stations in Laguna Hills and Lake forest?

Always nice to include a link: Lake Forest
Yes, indeed.

But some of us like me are stupid. Really stupid. I have tried to link items here and have the classic epic failure.

So, unless there is a step-by-step guide on this site, (which maybe you should show us stupid people where it is) maybe give the person the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you are one of those lucky souls who are omniscient. Not everyone is as smart as you.