Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe we can get some folks to scout out the probable locations for the supercharger, since there should already be signs of construction and installation of the DC power apparatus):

Exit 104 (several truck stops and food places)
Exit 92 (several shopping centers on the west side of I-5)
Exit 89 (TA Truck Stop)
Exit 86 (numerous places!)

Any thoughts?

Another option is searching requests for electrical permits in local zoning offices but would have to search the specific county/jurisdiction in each of these areas.
Maybe we can get some folks to scout out the probable locations for the supercharger, since there should already be signs of construction and installation of the DC power apparatus):

Exit 104 (several truck stops and food places)
Exit 92 (several shopping centers on the west side of I-5)
Exit 89 (TA Truck Stop)
Exit 86 (numerous places!)

Any thoughts?

Here are the permit recap links for Henrico and Hanover Counties:

Henrico County Permits Monthly Reports: Monthly Reports | County of Henrico
Hanover County Permits Monthly Reports: Monthly Reports | Building Inspector's Office - Hanover County, Va. Government

Of course, it is possible that Tesla is not applying for this in their name, or the contractor just neglected to attach the name. Also, the most recent data is for July.

Caroline and Spotsylvania Counties do not publish any recaps online. The clerk for Spotsylvania County actually wanted a FOIA request filed for $20 to ask.

I haven't seen any evidence, but I haven't looked for a month or so at various interchanges from I-295/I-95 up to the I-95/207 interchange.

I noted (perhaps later than anyone else!) that Tesla is no longer showing "Summer" on the Supercharger map, which showed the VA Supercharger as grey. So "TODAY" does not show the VA Supercharger, and "FALL 2013" shows it as being active.

- - - Updated - - -

TECHMAVEN: Since I will be doing some amateur scouting on Friday on my way back home, would appreciate your thoughts on where you think the Supercharger will be. Seems Tesla is putting them near 24/7 food locations, so if that is the case, it eliminates a lot of possibilities like (perhaps?) Virginia Center Commons Mall.

I have not heard more from my source. However, you might want to check the couple of intersections north of Virginia Center Commons. I am actually heading to DC in my SUV this weekend, but I likely will not have extra time for scouting.

I'm driving home from Emerald Isle NC on Sunday and a supercharger in the Richmond area will cut one day from what is otherwise a two-day trip. But I'm not optimistic that the VA supercharger will be ready by then, even though summer officially ends in 16 days. As is its practice, I'm sure Tesla will stretch the calendar as far as it can:)

artsci: From what I have gleaned via the FaceBook Tesla Model S page, Tesla sends out announcements about 1 week prior to the Grand Opening of a supercharger. So I think you are out of luck for your return trip. But I am hopeful tomorrow I can spot some construction that should be well on its way to becoming a Supercharger!

artsci: From what I have gleaned via the FaceBook Tesla Model S page, Tesla sends out announcements about 1 week prior to the Grand Opening of a supercharger. So I think you are out of luck for your return trip. But I am hopeful tomorrow I can spot some construction that should be well on its way to becoming a Supercharger!

Thanks. Wouldn't be nice if I could be there for the opening and charge up as well!

We did a search a few months ago but of course did not find anything. The dot is centered over Kings Dominion so we started there. That wont be it! It has has just one or two restaurants a long walk from each other. And of course it would not be inside the paid parking. We went south one exit to Ashland and that looked pretty promising. Many restaurants, though not grouped close like a rest stop. We went north one and that also looked possible but not as many places. We did not look at the Glen Ellen place, it is next south of Ashland and looks like a great spot on the map being right at 295 and 95. Report back all your searches. I keep hitting the Tesla people in the mall but they have no info.

I just spoke to my source. I know where it is supposed to go. I don't know if I am allowed to share that information, or if sharing that information would mess anything up. As a result, at this stage, if you want to know what I know, please PM me and promise not to divulge anything yet.

It is apparently still in bid/permitting stage. Likely bidding stage is slowing it up.

Also, it's exactly where I recommended to Tesla for it be when I posted a suggestion at Supercharging
I don't know if I had any influence, but that's pretty cool IMHO.

Last edited:
I picked up my new Model S on Friday/Sat - long crazy story. Thanks to the terrific staff at Tesla!

Anyways, on my way home to the west end of Richmond, I swung by the location I think the new supercharger is at and took a picture:
MaybeRichmondSupercharger.jpg

Maybe that's the start? Maybe not. But it looks promising.

Last edited:
I picked up my new Model S on Friday/Sat - long crazy story, thanks to the staff at Tesla!

Hey, congrats on your new Model S! :cool: It's about time. ;-)

Anyways, on my way home to the west end of Richmond, I swung by the location I think the new supercharger is at and took a picture:
Maybe that's the start? Maybe not. But it looks promising.

Well, something's happening there. Please keep us posted if you see any definite signs of Tesla construction, thanks!