Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke with a DC area rep yesterday and was told that SC development team looking at !-81/I-66 area for one SC and then a site further south for another one--perhaps Roanoke/Christiansburg area... Hopefully next year?
I spoke with (probably the same) DC rep and he said that they are looking at maybe Staunton as it is a good intersection of interstates (I-81, I-64). No word on timing, of course ;)

Western VA (and WV) is traditional coal country. Our former governor (yep, the one who was indicted), tried to levy a blanket tax on all hybrids and EVs but luckily that didn't fly. We need a SC presence (or two) in the area to encourage people to travel through the western half of the state, which is quite beautiful (but I'm a bit biased). I travel back and forth to Charleston, WV and right now, I would have to rent a car to make it that distance (with the elevation changes and the unpredictable weather along the way). I did see a black Model S driving around Charleston the last time I was there, so there's hope yet!

- - - Updated - - -

Western VA (and WV) is traditional coal country. Our former governor (yep, the one who was indicted), tried to levy a blanket tax on all hybrids and EVs but luckily that didn't fly. We need a SC presence (or two) in the area to encourage people to travel through the western half of the state, which is quite beautiful (but I'm a bit biased). I travel back and forth to Charleston, WV and right now, I would have to rent a car to make it that distance (with the elevation changes and the unpredictable weather along the way). I did see a black Model S driving around Charleston the last time I was there, so there's hope yet!
Actually, he has been convicted, not just indicted ;)

swengl: We need to start a campaign to get Tesla to add a couple of SCs along I-81 to their 2015 plans. I live in Roanoke and just got my Model S. I figure I can easily make it to Glen Allen or Charlotte, but Woodbridge or Bethesda would be risky. I also own three hybrids and paid that wonderful "fee" in 2013 that McD implemented. Wouldn't it be ironic to get one of our states "Friends of Coal" license plates for a Tesla? I know of three other Model S's around here.

Staunton as it is a good intersection of interstates (I-81, I-64)

IMO, Staunton would be an ideal location for owners that are heading N-S on I-81 (for a future corridor buildout, especially since N-S travel on I-95 between Northern Va and Boston is just one big parking lot during the summer months (I think it was techmaven that may have said it, if not pls. let me know)) and for others getting ready to head west into the mountains for skiing and The Homestead.

Last edited:
That sounds like a plan! I actually used Tesla's Supercharger suggestion site to recommend on in Lexington, near the intersection of 81 and 64. We have at least 2 other Model S owners here in Lynchburg. I like the Friends of Coal idea except that part of the proceeds probably go to a coal company, but the irony would almost be worth it ;)
swengl: We need to start a campaign to get Tesla to add a couple of SCs along I-81 to their 2015 plans. I live in Roanoke and just got my Model S. I figure I can easily make it to Glen Allen or Charlotte, but Woodbridge or Bethesda would be risky. I also own three hybrids and paid that wonderful "fee" in 2013 that McD implemented. Wouldn't it be ironic to get one of our states "Friends of Coal" license plates for a Tesla? I know of three other Model S's around here.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that Lexington/Natural Bridge would make a good spot. It might help tourism in the area as well (who doesn't want to go see Foamhenge??). There is a KOA campground near Natural Bridge that has outlets, if someone were in a tight spot for a charge.
This would be awesome - Natural Bridge area could work great too.. I have a 170 acre farm in Shawsville (family owned) and hate taking the van down to Christiansburg. Harrisonburg, Stanton or Natural Bridge would all be awesome!

Actually since 27% of the electricity in Virginia comes from coal, EVs could be looked at as "friends" of the coal industry since they increase consumption. I would think the politicians in the coal-producing regions of Virginia would recognize that and support EV's more but maybe they're conflicted given their ties to the auto dealers. More likely they assume that people who buy EVs are generally not proponents of burning fossil fuel to make electricity (I have installed 50 solar panels on my home since buying a Tesla).

I like the Friends of Coal idea except that part of the proceeds probably go to a coal company, but the irony would almost be worth it ;)

Attachments

• foc.jpg
    foc.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 170
I don't really mind us being on coal for a bit longer. Mostly because coal doesn't have the same issues that oil has... Namely fighting over land/ideology to get it. And clean coal has come a long way since the early days. My issue with it is more about being sustainable and the damage it does to the environment through the act of strip mining. So of course we need to move on to something else, but if I had to pick a battle it would be oil first.

I much favor Staunton over Lexington. If the SC is at Lexington, folks from the D.C. area dropping off kids at JMU, UVA, Bridgewater, and Mary Baldwin will waste a bunch of miles going further South to Lexington and then back tracking again. Staunton is also convenient to those sight seeing in Shenandoah National Park. The D.C. area is the primary population zone feeding traffic to the Shenandoah Valley, and I think travel patterns from D.C. should be favored.

You are probably right and its still support the schools further south (Virginia Tech, Radford University, Roanoke College - etc. Been doing college tours this year with the daughter and I drive my daughter nuts when I ask how many electric car charging stations they have -- to date no one has been able to answer the question or followed up. I'm taking notes - tells me they don't really want my money.

One thing you learn early in sales is when someone asks a question about something you don't have - you find out why they want it and when and where they want it and how many they are willing to buy!

I was at least hoping for a witty answer - why Mr. X we will add one of those to your daughters dorm room and send you an invoice!

Supercharger growth - Page 14

It has been spotted however briefly new supercharger maps being pushed to the website. They apparently had to retract the update for now... but not before the cat was let out of the bag! I have cropped out the segment of the NA map (and blew it up) so you could see the good news!

VA.PNG

It looks like instead of deciding between a couple of the cities we suggested they have said screw it, and stuck quite a few out along I-81!

Looks like Lexington, Staunton, and Charlottesville (as opposed to just one of those locations or whatever)
Farther down we have Wytheville and Bristol (possibly, unclear which side of the border that is actually on). Either way you will be able to safely make it down into Tennessee. If you are coming from WV, you can go south through 77 (although NC needs another charger to really make it south through the mountains). You should also be able to cut through 64 from Charleston to Richmond! I am quite excited by this map for the prospects of VA since it seems like they didn't take any compromises here and just gave us plenty of options.

So if anyone from the Supercharger team happens to read this, thank you!