Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers in western Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news.

I just used the Strasburg supercharger for the first time for a "Western VA Brewery Field Trip" this last Saturday. Total mileage was ~367 miles from my place in Ashburn, VA. The Strasburg charger is about 60 miles from my place, so I topped off to about 245 rated miles there. The route continued down to Staunton for 2 stops at local breweries, then on to Afton (south on I-81 then 64 East about halfway to Charlottesville), where we hit two more.

That's a 240+ mile round trip back to the supercharger. With the speed limits along that corridor (70MPH, traffic does 80), some elevation change, and colder weather, that's a non-starter for a single charge.

Fortunately, there's a NEMA 14-50 in Staunton in the public lot right behind the breweries there. I was able plug in for ~2.5 hours and put about 70 miles back in to the pack. That allowed me to make it back with about 35 miles of range to spare.

Had there been a supercharger in Lexington, the whole trip would have been a no-brainer. I would have saved the initial ~40 minute top-off in Strasburg, and not have had to hope the stall adjacent to that single 14-50 was free in Staunton.

While Lexington is only ~110 miles from the Strasburg supercharger, it's at the junction of 64, so I think it's a very useful location in addition to Wytheville.

Will have to use the opening of the Lexington charger as an excuse to go hit the breweries again....

Breweries and Wineries are great places for Destination Charging. Spread the word and recommend that these places become part of the Destination Charging program.

As of Nov. 23rd, a permit is pending but not yet issued in Wytheville, VA. I keep in touch with the the officials and will report here when the permit is approved and issued.

Lanny

That (possibly) excellent news. Another intersection covered, and within reasonable distance of several other Superchargers. I think that the region needs some more, but making things possible is a good first step to making things easy.

Do you have an address. If we know the address and that the permit is in process, Blueshift will put a blue dot on Supercharge.Info. That would put Wytheville on the map!

I don't have the address and I want to wait until a permit is actually issued. I've seen at least one Supercharger get close to permitting and still not happen. :mad:

No indications that is the case here, but...

Lanny

I don't have the address and I want to wait until a permit is actually issued. I've seen at least one Supercharger get close to permitting and still not happen. :mad:

No indications that is the case here, but...

Lanny

Thanks for all the help.

The standard on Supercharge.Info has been to put down a "blue dot" as soon as an address is known and the review process has started. Sometimes, this can help with public comment in support of the approval, sometimes it just helps feed the curiosity of the Supercharger obsessed on TMC.

Keep up the great scouting!

New Supercharger station is up and running at:

880 North Lee Hwy
Lexington, Va. Holiday Inn Express parking lot

IMG_2375.jpeg

Just read an interesting fact... the elevations of Wytheville, VA and Asheville NC are very similar (2200-2300'). The distance between these two superchargers is roughly 170 miles so accounting for an extra 20-30 range miles for the trip up I-26 around the TN/NC border, this should be an easy trip in an 85 or 90 KW/hr Model S. Anyone made this trip?

We have driven from Wytheville to Asheville Superchargers in a convoy of two 70Ds in January going through Boone, NC without charging. Should be easy with an 85 in summer.

As another data point, I just did Asheville to Wytheville in my 60 charged to 99% (190RR) and arrived with 10 miles remaining.
Lots of elevation change but was able to stick to the speed limit +5 for the first half of the trip then more "spirited" on the last bit. Warm temps (80s) with AC on full load, 5 humans. Beautiful drive too!

A SC in Bristol would be nice especially for winter weather driving in the 60, not many other plan B charging options along the way.

Reactions: Drucifer
I recently drove from Asheville SC to Wytheville SC. Left Asheville with 245RM and headed up I-26. When I got to Johnson City I was at 310 Wh/mile (reasonable considering the elevation changes). I arrived at Wytheville with about 50RM and 340Wh/mile. Johnson City to Wytheville has a 700 foot rise in elevation.