Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers needed at the N.C. beaches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one in Wilmington, and one "coming in 2019" up near Duck. That leaves a lot of uncovered space in the 322 mile coastline with no good way to even get from one to the other. I want one near Morehead City, one in the southern beaches between Sourthport and Shallote, and one in Hatteras. They could be destination sites with just a couple of chargers. And while you are at it, Kinston would be nice. Thanks Tesla !

Reactions: RichNot
Would be nice... I travel to Southport frequently but have yet to take the Tesla. Mainly cause I have all the kids and luggage, so we have to take the ICE. One day....

Boundary House location in Calabash has a very fast charge: 110-130mph charging rate reported in comments by Tesla owners (I used it a couple of years ago and it worked very fast). Need Chademo connection though.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

yeah my model 3 no go on chademo. CCS and/or Chademo support would be nice. i've never seen anyone using the one at boundary house.

This wont prevent me from taking sparky to the beach but its in the very nice to have category.

Thanks, and Plugshare has some more J1772 including Southport. I'm just greedy.

And since I am on the topic, we need an SC in Boone NC, in Lewisburg WV, and Lynchburg VA, which would make local ski trips easier.

I'm just trying to be helpful.
If you are coming up 29 to go skiing, check out Two Sisters Tap Room in Altavista where there are 3 Destination chargers and 1 universal. The BBQ there is outstanding (and they have (I believe) 16 beers on tap).

I'm going to be spending a month in Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle and would definitely appreciate better charging options. There is a shopping center in Bogue that has a couple Tesla chargers that seem to be always populated by locals or ICEd. The hotel I'm staying at has a 14-50 outlet, but that's not a reserved spot. I was hoping to find an Air B&B with charging, but had no luck.

If anyone does want to offer me a place to stay with charging at or below the government per diem rate ($94/day) I might take you up on that!

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I'm going to be spending a month in Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle and would definitely appreciate better charging options. There is a shopping center in Bogue that has a couple Tesla chargers that seem to be always populated by locals or ICEd. The hotel I'm staying at has a 14-50 outlet, but that's not a reserved spot. I was hoping to find an Air B&B with charging, but had no luck.

In the past when I've gone out there, I've just plugged in with a 110V outlet for the few days I'm there since most of the time I'm just at the beach. There is a pair of HPWC's by the Lowe's Foods before you go over the bridge to Emerald Isle. They are free and I've never seen them ICE'd.

Reactions: mrwuffles and SigNC
There is one in Wilmington, and one "coming in 2019" up near Duck. That leaves a lot of uncovered space in the 322 mile coastline with no good way to even get from one to the other. I want one near Morehead City, one in the southern beaches between Sourthport and Shallote, and one in Hatteras. They could be destination sites with just a couple of chargers. And while you are at it, Kinston would be nice. Thanks Tesla !
I also need one near Morehead City. I can get there from my home and back, but will need a Supercharger in the area during my 4 day stay. I'll have to use gas fuel for the trip instead.

Yea we travel to Ocean Isle NC, and Depardieu SC (just north of Georgetown, SC) over the summer. Unsure about charging situation at house with regards to outlets etc.
The issue for me, between both those areas and 95, is a ghost land and we try to avoid myrtle like its the plague.
From atlanta, those are the only 2 locations that seem problematic -- there are a few along 95, but not sure if i want to bank on level 1 charging for 3 days

Yea we travel to Ocean Isle NC, and Depardieu SC (just north of Georgetown, SC) over the summer. Unsure about charging situation at house with regards to outlets etc.
The issue for me, between both those areas and 95, is a ghost land and we try to avoid myrtle like its the plague.
From atlanta, those are the only 2 locations that seem problematic -- there are a few along 95, but not sure if i want to bank on level 1 charging for 3 days
Yeah in that area we're between the SC in Barefoot Landing and Leland. We go to Sunset Beach where we have one L2 on the beach and one in Calabash which were just enough last year. You have to get to the beach side charger either early or late. As you probably know there in another L2 in Ocean Isle. I'm kind of torn, I don't really want more people visiting down there !!!!

yea, have a relative building a new house at the beach, i'm hoping south carolina code requires a 14-50 in the garage but haven't searched it enough.
I don't think he has interest in installing one.....
There is no code or requirement for that in SC. If he is building a new house at the beach, then installing an EV charger or 14-50 outlet is peanuts cost wise

• Informative
Reactions: jsight