Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers on NJ Turnpike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ammulder

3,X,FSD Beta
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2019
Philly area
We haven't been on the turnpike so much lately, but my wife just stopped at a Supercharger at the Molly Pitcher Service Plaza (near exit 8 I think). She said there are only 4 stalls and they were all busy and there was a line. So she went on to the Robbinsville Supercharger just off exit 7 at a Quick Chek with 8 stalls.

How dumb is that? 4 stalls on the turnpike and 8 at a nearby convenience store? Shouldn't there be like 20 stalls at a turnpike service area?

The Turnpike Authority seemed to be shy about Supercharger installations at first. The 4-stall stations took more than a year to get initial approval back in 2015. New Jersey seems to be getting their act together now with plans for more expansions. I think we'll see new V3 installations happening at Turnpike service areas in the next year or two.

I haven't had any problems traveling the NJTP ... Robinsville is immediately off the highway and barely any detour aside from the long entrance entrance/exit ramp.

Well for one thing Molly Pitcher only serves the northbound traffic, so combined with Joyce Kilmer its 8 stalls. Keep in mind that those superchargers were built when the number of Tesla's was much much lower than it is now. I would also imagine that it is much more onerous to get approval for superchargers at a turnpike rest stop than it is at a privately owned convenance store. Particularly since superchargers are a proprietary solution that only serves Tesla's. In fact if I recall correctly, Tesla has to run the wiring for the other DC chargers at the service area as part of the agreement to let them be put in.

That being said, I would love to see the sites expanded, as well as superchargers added to the other rest stops. But between Robbinsville, Kearny, and Maple Shade, Tesla is doing a great job dropping them right off the turnpike.

There is one v3 supercharger soon coming up in Maple Shade, NJ between NJTP and I-295.

Also take I-295 if you are going south towards Delaware. There is Paulsboro, NJ is which is not heavily used. One can take I-295 until exit 46 and merge to NJTP. That saves on tolls as well.

There is one coming up in Deptford, NJ if you are going towards AC from Philadelphia/South Jersey region.

Reactions: preilly44
There is one v3 supercharger soon coming up in Maple Shade, NJ between NJTP and I-295.

Also take I-295 if you are going south towards Delaware. There is Paulsboro, NJ is which is not heavily used. One can take I-295 until exit 46 and merge to NJTP. That saves on tolls as well.

There is one coming up in Deptford, NJ if you are going towards AC from Philadelphia/South Jersey region.

Can't wait for the maple shade V3 to work. its just about perfectly located between turnpike and 295.

yea the turnpike chargers are rough in their current size and locations. I expect with the new bill that passed for essentially every service station to get them over the new few years.

In case everyone hadn’t seen the news about that: Electric Vehicle Bill Goes to Gov’s Desk - Insider NJ

According to the bill, By December 31, 2025, at least 400 DC Fast Chargers shall be available for public use at no fewer than 200 charging locations in the State, (b) at least 75 of the 200 or more charging locations shall be at travel corridor locations, equipped with at least two DC Fast Chargers per location, each capable of providing at least 150 kilowatts of charging power, and no more than 25 miles between the charging locations, and (c) at least 100 of the 200 or more charging locations shall be community locations, equipped with at least two DC Fast Chargers per location, each capable of providing 50 kilowatts of charging power or more, and 150 kilowatts or more where feasible. “

There is also a lot of work happening at all of the rest stops: Improvements coming to NJ rest stops that'll make you visit

As they completely close each station for the re-models it is a perfect time to install the EV charging. Well see what they do though.

Good stuff to come folks.