TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers on PlugShare

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Mr. PlugShare, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

A lot of you reading this thread will probably see there is nothing new with what I’m saying.

It concerns adding in construction Superchargers to PlugShare. When PlugShare started adding Superchargers on the site, they were approached by Tesla. Tesla indicated that Supercharging sites could only be added by the moderator(s), the reason that no user can add “Supercharger” type plugs, so then most users use the ordinary Tesla HPWC plug, or even CHAdeMO plugs so that it shows as a fast charger.

Usually, when adding an ordinary charging location (other than Supercharger) that is coming soon or not active yet, PlugShare has a tendency to let it pass 99% of the time. Seen the deal with Tesla, PlugShare either removes premature Superchargers or otherwise they turn them into restricted wall outlets with the name being either the city they’re in or otherwise, the name of the mall/business it is at, like in this case of Lenox Square - Atlanta. They cannot be edited. PlugShare’s basic message: DO NOT MANUALLY ADD SUPERCHARGERS! 0720D360-6E37-4EE0-B436-5D13A69D33C8.jpeg

Often when a Supercharger is online, it takes several days for it to appear on PlugShare, due to its’ presence on Tesla’s website, then for PlugShare to actually see the it on “the list of Superchargers to add”. The process takes on average a week or so, but can sometimes take much longer than that for the Supercharger to “officially” appear. The problem with this is that is as soon as a Supercharger goes online, any which user can go and add one on PlugShare. Then obviously, PlugShare restricts the Supercharger, but then some other user has restricted chargers off his filter, so then he/she adds another Supercharger location in addition to the already existing one, like here, at Lenox Square again. EF821E5D-CE5C-42C0-A7DC-A407B7AEAB8A.jpeg D6D53153-2D5B-495B-BC5D-1741454BCB5A.jpeg

I wish that there was somewhere on PlugShare I could place this so that it would have a higher effect, except that PlugShare has actually found us a few Superchargers, so is it actually that bad to add Superchargers manually?

I think this is sort of a good discussion here. I know a few TMC users have found Superchargers through PlugShare, as have I. Any thoughts?

2. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

Since Tesla cars with navigation know where all the Superchargers are, listing them on Plugshare is less useful than it is for other kinds of charging. Plugshare can help with listing amenities or user issues with the Superchargers, but it isn't really a priority. I use Plugshare a lot when looking for L2 charging away from home but, for finding Superchargers, supercharge.info and Tesla's map are my go-to websites. I use supercharge.info so much that all I have to do is type "s" into my browser address bar and it comes up as first choice!

• Like x 3
  3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I agree with @dpgcolorado. I don’t know what the OPs relationship is to Plugshare, but that site/app is irrelevant for superchargers. No one else cares how or when Tesla superchargers are added to it. I use it when I’m going to a strange city and looking to see if there’s a level 2 charging station convenient to where I’m parking for several hours, or staying overnight, but there’s just no reason to look at it to find where superchargers are. The Tesla web site, in car nav, and supercharge.info are much more useful for that.

• Like x 2
  4. paulkva

paulkva Member

I agree PlugShare isn't helpful for finding superchargers, thanks to Tesla's maps and supercharge.info, but it has been helpful to me when I want to know how busy or reliable a supercharger location might be. Of course it's only as good as the data users enter into it, but in my experience any supercharger I've looked at on PlugShare has a decent number of recent check-ins.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

upload_2018-10-1_7-26-1.png

Someone added this to Plugshare some time ago. "... to keep it off the public's radar". If you want it off the public's radar, don't add it to Plugshare!
    As a result of this one not being visible to many (due to filters), someone added it again (the green icon right next to it).

So now there are two inaccurate locations, one marked wall outlet and one marked Tesla HPWC, when in action fact neither are available.

6. cwoernle

cwoernle Member

Can a PlugShare app's route map be shared/uploaded to the interface screen in a Model 3 using Version 9 software?

7. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Hall of shame:

Daly City, CA is now on Plugshare officially, but a few days before there were *three* user added ones, all with incorrect details:

upload_2018-10-21_12-36-9.png

Some people have filters and so on, so they may not see some locations (e.g. restricted locations, or wall outlets) - but when you go to add a location you get a message like this - bright red text! How hard is it to miss?

[​IMG]

Anyway, all is good now. Thought I'd contain my rants to this thread!

upload_2018-10-21_12-38-42.png

• Like x 1
  8. mociaf9

mociaf9 Member

From a human factors perspective, Plugshare is going about this the wrong way. Instead of restricting the type of connector someone can add to a site, they should allow them to choose a supercharger but then when someone tries to submit they should be redirected to a page telling them not to add supercharger sites in construction or "coming soon" as they will be added by moderators only once they are fully functional. The end result is the same, i.e. the user can't submit a site with the supercharger connector. But instead of forcing them to try to work around the limitation which isn't made explicitly clear this allows them to "fall into a trap" where they are more likely to learn and understand not to attempt to evade the limitation.

• Like x 2
  9. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

lol :p, just the last 2 days! 177003C6-BF9F-4F44-9D8B-F6069F047EDB.jpeg

• Like x 1