Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers open to all other EVs later this year (2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a separate topic, I take umbrage with much of ABRP's trips. One thing I don't think it factors in well enough is the time it takes to actually get off the highway and drive to the SuC (and reverse afterwards). There are many "five minute stops" that ADD several minutes of surface street with signals navigation.
ABRP's accounting for intersections does not appear to be as good as Waze or the built-in navigation, but it does take slower surface street speeds and intersection delays into account (or at least it seems to). And, it has a setting that allows you to customize the "delay" you experience at a Supercharger site. If you don't think the default 5-minute plug/unplug delay it adds in is sufficient, you can always bump that number up to something you feel is more realistic.

Most of the superchargers are in larger markets with the most non Tesla EV already on the road. They will have a higher load once non Teslas are allowed access even for day to day use.

I 💯 guarantee people will be topping their Plug in hybrids at superchargers so they can get home without using gas.
You are absolutely correct.

We've observed an under reported health condition: Gas Range Anxiety (GNR). It is predictable and common in owners of PHEVs. Once they notice their car displays electric miles in comparison to gas miles, drivers become obsessed with avoiding use of the gas engine. They will go miles out of their way to find a level 2 charging spot and even bully limited range electric only cars out of their charging location to take over an EVSE. We've seen GRA PHEV owners sleeping in their car while plugged into a level one charging location.

These owners will compete with each other about how long they been able to drive without buying or even using gas. One will claim they have driven for 2 weeks only on electricity. Another will say they've gone a month only on the batteries. Still another will say they have not had to buy gas since having bought the car. GRA is becoming a problematic obsession which we have started to report to the Centre for Disease Control (CDC.)

I will share the national statistics as they become available. Until then, please treat plugin hybrid owners as gently as you can. Even if you are a LEAF owner with a limited number of miles left, recognise that GRA is a medical problem and the plugin hybrid owner may not be in control of their actions. It's not personal. Do not approach. Simply find another charging location. Leave potato chips or donuts nearby

• Funny
Reactions: moa999
1626816208312-png.7552

This is an epically bad decision. Tesla will regret this. This decision is ONLY a negative for all current Tesla owners AND future Tesla owners.

SC network is already unable to keep up with the Y/3's coming onto the road. The SC build out has been way slower than planned. So now Tesla owners have to share those limited spots with Nissan Leaf's and whatever else crap out there?

Alienating Tesla owners is not a good move. There is not a single positive to this decision for Tesla owners.

There are two main reasons why Tesla was ahead of everyone else:

1. Tesla SC network making it relatively easy for Tesla owners to charge on trips.
2. Autopilot/FSD.

Now they've removed one of them. Now I am seriously considering changing my Cybertruck purchase to a Rivian R1S. Since now I can charge the Rivian at SC's and the Rivian has room to sleep/camp in unlike the Cybertruck.

Once the SC change happens, Tesla forums will be flooded with people waiting in line for slow charging non Tesla vehicles taking up spots. You wait and see.
Amen!
Hell no!
Nuf' said,

What is the date and location for that full station video ?
The article was posted in March, 2022 and it looks like the footage was shot on March 12, 2022.

The only location information I can find is "in Louisiana, just off Interstate 10" so it could be one of five (solely based on the Supercharger map): Lake Charles, Iowa, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, or Slidell.

And because I apparently have too much time on my hands, I have narrowed it down to the Lake Charles location based on the stores in the background (Marshalls, Bed Bath and Beyond, Ross, and Carters) and the parking lot.

I need to get a hobby...

Last edited:
I was in Lake Charles in early May. It was packed - a slow V2 that had one dead stall when I was there, with a continuous wait of one or two cars. The whole I-10 corridor is in need of upgrades and more stations. Fortunately, Iowa, Louisiana recently opened 17 miles to the east, and Beaumont, Louisiana is coming soon 60 miles to the west, so things should improve.

Useful if they eventually start telling you in the vehicle which stall to go to.
Okay, let me see if I get what you are suggesting:

So in the event that Tesla implements a system whereby they can direct you to a specific stall (which I think would be a very welcome addition), perhaps based on which stalls are likely to give the best speeds, that they would need a way to detect whether a given stall was blocked or not?

Then yes, this would be a good addition as it would avoid cases where you were directed to a blocked stall. Actually I think that some charging stations may already have this. I have seen "Blocked" status on some stations within Plugshare. Not sure how that works or if it even means what I think it does, but it is helpful.

Okay, let me see if I get what you are suggesting:

So in the event that Tesla implements a system whereby they can direct you to a specific stall (which I think would be a very welcome addition), perhaps based on which stalls are likely to give the best speeds, that they would need a way to detect whether a given stall was blocked or not?

Then yes, this would be a good addition as it would avoid cases where you were directed to a blocked stall. Actually I think that some charging stations may already have this. I have seen "Blocked" status on some stations within Plugshare. Not sure how that works or if it even means what I think it does, but it is helpful.
Yep, exactly. The technology can't be that expensive, at least compared to the price of the rest of the station. Think how many they have to have in some of these huge parking garages.

Yep, exactly. The technology can't be that expensive, at least compared to the price of the rest of the station. Think how many they have to have in some of these huge parking garages.
It seems to me that what Tesla really need (and I'm amazed they have not done this) is for the cars to automatically negotiate queueing at busy superchargers. Right now, its all pretty much physically get in line (if there is an obvious way to do that) or try to figure out who comes next based on who was parked someplace close to the SC before you arrive. Why can't the cars do this? And tell you in the app when your "number" is coming up so you can get coffee etc while you wait your turn? And how long your wait time is (approx)? The cars already know they are going to charge, and that they are close to the SC, and they can all communicate with the mothership to coordinate the queue.