Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers pushed back to 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Audi dealerships in Sask have 50 kW CCS chargers, since Tesla isn’t doing a thing for us here it looks like my next EV just might be the e-tron.

Look at how accommodating other manufacturer dealerships are to EV owners who wish to use their fast chargers. PlugShare checkin comments seem to indicate most dealers have them because the manufacturer mandated to sell the vehicle or have them for service only. Often they’re turned off, blocked in by dealership cars, or broken. Just cause they’re physically there doesn’t guarantee they’ll be available.

Look at how accommodating other manufacturer dealerships are to EV owners who wish to use their fast chargers. PlugShare checkin comments seem to indicate most dealers have them because the manufacturer mandated to sell the vehicle or have them for service only. Often they’re turned off, blocked in by dealership cars, or broken. Just cause they’re physically there doesn’t guarantee they’ll be available.

Hey Internet dude, I watch your videos and I can see how angry you are. I know you live in Regina, I grew up there as well. It is remote to Tesla, but I am hoping they will do something by Q2 of 2019.

Do not be fooled by other established manufactures; EVSteve is exactly right. These chargers at these "established" dealers are never done with the attitude of accessibility. It is done on compliance only. Besides putting these chargers at dealerships really are for the dealer to be able to service those EV's and be able to get charge into them without having to drive off-site to some far off location. That is also part of it. Do not view them as "everyday charging means." They are not.

Now had you said that Audi had set up a charging station like the ones they set up in Europe under the "Ionity" brand; and that they put up a location with 6 or so stalls. Then I would say you are onto something and you have options. The Tesla is still the best automobile that happens to be electric on sale in the open marketplace. And they produce some really kick-ass cars.

I hear your pain, i am trying to convey the importance of supercharger sites in your neck of the woods to Tesla. I have written to them a number of times; Tesla monitors the forums here on the charger threads; so I am always trying to convey to them the importance. I know you have too with a couple of videos and the one where you cancelled your model 3 reservation. I get it. I keep hoping for our Tesla friends in Sask., and Manitoba.

Unfortunately, I think the only real influence is demand at the moment. Hopefully, something will happen by summer. Tesla is less likely to build out before the cars are there. In Markham, I'm fortunate to have 2 superchargers in very close proximity (which I've never used) that opened last year. I took this as a gauge of the number of Model 3 reservation holders. Turns out I was right. There are a handful of new Model 3s just in my neighbourhood now and I always see a Telsa or two when driving around town.

Oh you guys are optimistic... 2019??? Maybe in Quebec but certainly not here in Saskatchewan.

I know of multiple people who are not buying Teslas because there are no SCs here despite Elon tweeting in 2016 that we'd have one at least in Swift Current SK by the end of 2017. I also cancelled my Model 3 reservation that I've had since day 1.

My Tesla enthusiasm level decreases each year... April marks 4 years of Tesla ownership for me and I won't buy another until there are SCs closer. It looks like VW may beat Tesla with regards to Level 3 charging here... at least they have a CCS L3 charger in Medicine Hat (closest one to SK). If that happens my next EV might be a VW, even though I hate to give that company any $$.

While I understand your frustration, I do not necessarily believe that "...VW may beat Tesla with regards to Level 3 charging here..." It has taken Tesla many years to achieve what it has for the SuC network. It is, by far, the best in the world. Why would VW have ANY incentive to put large numbers of CCS chargers in Canada when Tesla hasn't as yet? VW has sold almost no EVs in Canada and likely won't sell significant numbers for at least another two years, given their supposed plans to introduce full BEVs. Just my opinion, but I think Tesla has been, and will continue to be, way out front on the charging network infrastructure front.

Reactions: m3snowy
While I understand your frustration, I do not necessarily believe that "...VW may beat Tesla with regards to Level 3 charging here..."
I can reach 3 VW/Audi Level 3 CCS charging stations within a full charge range from where I live, and zero Superchargers. The nearest Supercharger is nearly 500 miles away. VW/Audi is doing WAY more than Tesla here regarding fast charging.

It has taken Tesla many years to achieve what it has for the SuC network. It is, by far, the best in the world.
Sure but that means nothing to me here. Locally VW/Audi is kicking their ass for the L3 charging network buildout.

Why would VW have ANY incentive to put large numbers of CCS chargers in Canada when Tesla hasn't as yet? VW has sold almost no EVs in Canada and likely won't sell significant numbers for at least another two years, given their supposed plans to introduce full BEVs.
Apparently VW/Audi isn't letting sales #s slow down their L3 rollout.

Just my opinion, but I think Tesla has been, and will continue to be, way out front on the charging network infrastructure front.
That's because you live in California.

If you want a feel for what it's like here, only supercharge once a year only after you've gone 500 miles from your home.

I can reach 3 VW/Audi Level 3 CCS charging stations within a full charge range from where I live, and zero Superchargers. The nearest Supercharger is nearly 500 miles away. VW/Audi is doing WAY more than Tesla here regarding fast charging.

No

Sure but that means nothing to me here. Locally VW/Audi is kicking their ass for the L3 charging network buildout.

No

Apparently VW/Audi isn't letting sales #s slow down their L3 rollout.

No!

Where are these 3) VW/Audi Level 3 CCS charging stations that you can already get to?

Electrify Canada isn't even planning on coming to SK, at least according to their site.

Or are you saying there are 3 VW/Audi dealers near you? Do they actually have working, public CCS chargers? Which in looking at PlugShare two are only 22kW (You're going be there a while :eek:), and the other is "coming soon" and will probably only be 22kW as well... So they aren't going to be very helpful for trips.

Reactions: SammichLover
Wrong, wrong, and maybe.
Are you in Swift? Fine, yes you could reach 3 fast chargers, all CCS ONLY! These chargers, when the ETron will be released, won’t be for public use as much. By that time, there will likely be a Supercharger network crossing through Saskatchewan and Manitoba and W. Ontario, so don’t imagine that you will be able to charge on those soon unless you buy yourself an EGolf.

We don’t currently own a Tesla but here in B.C. the Tesla coverage is good as long as you are on the transcanada highway from Victoria to Calgary. However if you get off the main track and go into the kootenays or other popular travelling and touring areas then CCS and Chademo are much better developed and growing much faster. There are 14 Supercharger locations in the province and over 80 CHademo/CCS locations. In the next 18 months that will grow by another approximately 50 covering much more of the interior and North. In this province a model 3 is a nice car to travel the main Trans Canada strip. But if you want to actually tour the province you will need something like the new Leaf e-plus, a Bolt, Jaguar I-pace etc. With the Chademo adapter not working for the model 3 it is very much a limited use car with proprietary charging here. We now know 5 people in our little town waiting to buy an e-plus Leaf. Who actually would have as their first choice a Tesla Model 3. Die hard Tesla fans that are facing the reality of getting their second choice because of the lack of an adapter for the model 3. (One actually bought a Bolt but has said he’ll probably buy a model Y now).

I get that Superchargers are expensive but I am guessing that a Chademo adapter would not be that expensive (don’t know) and it is a good work around.

We don’t currently own a Tesla but here in B.C. the Tesla coverage is good as long as you are on the transcanada highway from Victoria to Calgary. However if you get off the main track and go into the kootenays or other popular travelling and touring areas then CCS and Chademo are much better developed and growing much faster. There are 14 Supercharger locations in the province and over 80 CHademo/CCS locations. In the next 18 months that will grow by another approximately 50 covering much more of the interior and North. In this province a model 3 is a nice car to travel the main Trans Canada strip. But if you want to actually tour the province you will need something like the new Leaf e-plus, a Bolt, Jaguar I-pace etc. With the Chademo adapter not working for the model 3 it is very much a limited use car with proprietary charging here. We now know 5 people in our little town waiting to buy an e-plus Leaf. Who actually would have as their first choice a Tesla Model 3. Die hard Tesla fans that are facing the reality of getting their second choice because of the lack of an adapter for the model 3. (One actually bought a Bolt but has said he’ll probably buy a model Y now).

I get that Superchargers are expensive but I am guessing that a Chademo adapter would not be that expensive (don’t know) and it is a good work around.
You're forgetting the obvious option. Model S or X with Chademo adapter. Sure they are more expensive, but there are definitely some used Model Ses on the market that are fairly reasonable.

Rumor from Reddit about V3 Superchargers:

Some additional info, bad news first, then good news:

No current v2 are slated to upgrade to v3 (sorry, apparently it does not make fiscal sense to do this due to needs for taking a site offline to increase grid power capacity and removing v2 hardware which would be scrapped of they do this).

There are currently hundreds of sites that have planning and permit speced and ready to begin work on v3 deployment in the US, ALL new Supercharger sites (not to be confused with Urban chargers, those will still continue to be deployed in urban centers using v2 tech currently) will be coming online with v3 tech and capabilities.

So that probably explains the delay in a lot of the Supercharger sites that Tesla has planned. They didn't want to invest in old V2 equipment.

So that probably explains the delay in a lot of the Supercharger sites that Tesla has planned. They didn't want to invest in old V2 equipment.
I don't know that waitiving for V3 Scs totally explains the delay as many of these SCs were originally scheduled for 2017 or even earlier. And some of the units scheduled for 2017 have come online recetly, or are under construction, and will not be V3 SCs - Mississauga and North York being two examples in the Toronto area.

I sent Tesla a request for 1 Destination Charger on James Bay Highway 109 Service Stop 381 km. So I could make it to Radisson QC and visit La Grand-2 Power Gen. Station this summer. I also sent in a request to Electric Circuit to install a L2 station there.
Google Maps
About - SDBJ
Did the rest stop approve? Also, it would just be better to get a Circuit Électrique charger installed at both for practicality purposes. Have you thought of Manicouagan instead. There’s already an appropriate charging base so it shouldn’t be a problem charging there.