Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers - Rivière-du-Loup, Qc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for a first pass at supercharger locations in NB & NS, the distances work out fairly well with one around Woodstock (that one's on Tesla's 2016 map) and one near Peticodiac at the junction of the TCH and #1. Those two would cover travel between Riviere-du-Loup to/from Fredricton or Saint John and Fredricton or Saint John to/from Moncton. Then the distance from there to the Halifax airport is 290km - doable but tight in bad winter conditions, but if you're heading to Cape Breton, it's not on the way. Truro would be better to cover both routes.

I agree; those would be the best locations for most folks. If a Tesla limo fleet at the airport gets a SC in there through, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.
I'm worried however that the Tesla plan puts a SC in Houlton, not in Woodstock. Their map is not high enough resolution to differentiate the two (for me). If it is Houlton, then the TransCanada plan, uut beyond the current planning horizon could be kept to more like 200km links; Riviere-du-Loup, Fredricton, Moncton, Truro.

I should also clarify that while I did hear of interest in the airport limo fleet, putting in a SC is just my speculation (though your link to the Schiphol story suggests it would be advisable).

I agree; those would be the best locations for most folks. If a Tesla limo fleet at the airport gets a SC in there through, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.
I'm worried however that the Tesla plan puts a SC in Houlton, not in Woodstock. Their map is not high enough resolution to differentiate the two (for me). If it is Houlton, then the TransCanada plan, uut beyond the current planning horizon could be kept to more like 200km links; Riviere-du-Loup, Fredricton, Moncton, Truro.
Rivière-du-Loup to Fredericton is 378 km. And superchargers should normally go on the routes between cities, not in the cities. Other than that, I agree.

If you are staying at the ALT at YHZ overnight they will give your parking card a credit equivalent to the outside lot fee so you can park inside and charge up for about $8 - a fair deal. Although I have not personally used it, I have been told that the ALT has their own J1772 downstairs outside for their guests only (free), you need to get the person at the front desk to unlock it.

Truro is not a big problem heading out from Halifax if you are full at YHZ, but Moncton is a real problem and there is no way around it. 70km /hour at Timmies or 40Amp HPWC at the New Amsterdam is very slow. Some kind of CHAdeMO or SC really is needed in Moncton.

Reactions: Jaff
Happy anniversary! Rivière-du-Loup has been on Permit status for one year. Winter is now over so they can start digging. Unless Elon thinks we do not need that SC. Quebec has only one SC ( Montreal does not count as it has less power, when it works!). I got my car 2 years ago and at the time, it was a matter of months to get a few in Quebec. It took forever to get Drummondville. Magog has been announced. Will it make it before RDL? Tesla is like politicians: promisses, no deliveries. As I say in french: " Ouate de phoque"

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I hope they get RDL up soon...we're passing through on the way to a tour of Newfoundland in a few months, and it sure would help if that Super Charger station was up and running!
I am heading down to Nova Scotia in late June and plan on going through the Augusta Maine Supercharger because I have no illusions that the RDL one will be online. If the Magog SC is working by then it would be nice. I love the car, love the company, but one reason I bought my S when I did and did not wait was because I thought the build out going east would be finished, going by the Tesla SC map. (That was before finding this forum, which would have enlightened me.) That said the drive last year through RDL using just the available chargers was not too bad. Just timed charges for meal breaks and did not rush. Much less stressful drive east than my ice drives in previous years. Stayed overnight at a hotel in Frederickton and woke up to a full charge and was on my way. Did have a ChaDeMo adaptor to use in Truro, NS and also for a side trip to Maine. The Nissan dealer in Bangor has a ChaDeMo and they were very friendly, and I used their charger coming and going on two consecutive days.

If you are staying at the ALT at YHZ overnight they will give your parking card a credit equivalent to the outside lot fee so you can park inside and charge up for about $8 - a fair deal. Although I have not personally used it, I have been told that the ALT has their own J1772 downstairs outside for their guests only (free), you need to get the person at the front desk to unlock it.

The ALT hotel at YHZ has the strangest parking policy I have ever encountered. What they do is provide you with a credit of up to $15 per day toward the public parking fees at the airport. It's a one-time deal too, so you basically have to leave your car parked for the whole day in order to make use of it. If you leave the parking area and return, you will not get another parking credit. When I stayed there they had printed instructions ready to lay all this out for guests. And they do indeed have a 30A EVSE available for guest use. However, I'm not sure how this works with the parking policy described above, as the EVSE is located alongside the hotel and the parking credit only applies toward the parking garage fee.

Swinging back to the OT, I'm willing to bet that the L3 charger recently brought online by the Electric Circuit Network in nearby La Pocatière has contributed in no small way to the continued Supercharger delays in RDL. Travelers are no longer left without L3 options in that region so Tesla probably figures there's no real hurry to bring RLD online (not that they were rushing to do so in the first place...)

Thanks for all of the information and updates guys...another question for those local in P.Q. ...do I have to have any sort of "membership card" to be able to use any of the the ChadeMo networks in Quebec, or, will a regular Master Card or Visa suffice?

...do I have to have any sort of "membership card" to be able to use any of the the ChadeMo networks in Quebec, or, will a regular Master Card or Visa suffice?

Check the Canada Chademo thread for more details. Briefly, there are now 37 CHAdeMO in Quebec.

31 are on the Electric Circuit network. This includes all that are on A-20 East of Drummondville. Do yourself a favor and join. $10 gets you a fob with $10 of credit as well as immediate access to the mobile app which can be used instead of the card. (I just use it as backup, though). Otherwise, you cannot swipe a CC. You would have to call, speak to a person and give your details for them to turn on the station. Much more of a hassle and on top of it you get hit with a $2/session surcharge. The Vernetwork card/app also works with the Circuit Electric.

More details on in the Canada CHAdeMO thread.

Thanks for all of the information and updates guys...another question for those local in P.Q. ...do I have to have any sort of "membership card" to be able to use any of the the ChadeMo networks in Quebec, or, will a regular Master Card or Visa suffice?
You can also just download the Circuit Electric app from the App Store if you use and iPhone or iPad. Shows all the Chargers and you can add to your Circuit Electric card.

Check the Canada Chademo thread for more details. Briefly, there are now 37 CHAdeMO in Quebec.

31 are on the Electric Circuit network. This includes all that are on A-20 East of Drummondville. Do yourself a favor and join. $10 gets you a fob with $10 of credit...

By coincidence, the Electric Circuit sent out an email yesterday stating that their cards (which cost $10) will no longer come with a $10 credit balance starting May 1st. So, to save enough for lunch during your next charging session, sign up in the next few days.

Dear member:

As of May 1, 2016, a $10 fee (plus applicable taxes) will apply when a new Electric Circuit card is ordered. The fee will be used to pay for the cost of the card, as well as for programming and mailing it. If you already have one or several Electric Circuit cards, you will not be required to pay the fee for your current cards, but it will apply to any new cards that you order.

The new fee will come into effect on May 1, 2016.

New members who receive their first Electric Circuit card would have to deposit money in their account in order to use the card to charge their vehicle at an Electric Circuit charging station.

Visit theelectriccircuit.com for more information.

The ALT hotel at YHZ has the strangest parking policy I have ever encountered. What they do is provide you with a credit of up to $15 per day toward the public parking fees at the airport. It's a one-time deal too, so you basically have to leave your car parked for the whole day in order to make use of it. If you leave the parking area and return, you will not get another parking credit. When I stayed there they had printed instructions ready to lay all this out for guests. And they do indeed have a 30A EVSE available for guest use. However, I'm not sure how this works with the parking policy described above, as the EVSE is located alongside the hotel and the parking credit only applies toward the parking garage fee.

Swinging back to the OT, I'm willing to bet that the L3 charger recently brought online by the Electric Circuit Network in nearby La Pocatière has contributed in no small way to the continued Supercharger delays in RDL. Travelers are no longer left without L3 options in that region so Tesla probably figures there's no real hurry to bring RLD online (not that they were rushing to do so in the first place...)

That is not quite how it works. The airport garage has a J1772 in it and the use is free. It is located near the entrance to the Alt from the parking garage. The policy of the airport garage - like any other I have ever been to, is that you pay for as long as you are there. If you leave and you come back you pay again. That is how they all work. The Alt gives you a $15 credit per night towards the parking fees. There is another charger that just belongs to the Alt that is not located in the parking garage. It is on the ground level at the hotel and you do not need to go into the parking structure to use it. I personally have not used it but I did confirm with the front desk that it existed and was available for use - and it is free for guests of the Alt. They do not expect you to be plugged in overnight using it, but likely one could.

I have a theory that the crew from Magog will proceed to Riviere-du-Loup, so hopefully construction will start in a month. No info on Quebec City, except at least there are three CHAdeMO in the region.

For the CHAdeMO off the A20 in Levis, in plugshare you can click on its icon and get good Google map directions. The car's nav, on the other hand, will get you lost.

Just going to add my voice to the chorus on this thread. I've got family in New Brunswick and I've done the drive out to Woodstock area twice in the past two years in my old school S60. It sure would be nice to have that RDL charger up in the next six weeks as my next trip is the first week of July. First world problem I know but damn it would nice to have that key Supercharger link available for those of us going out east.

Reactions: Jaff and rypalmer