Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers - Rivière-du-Loup, Qc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree 100%. This is the first long distance corridor in Canada that needs to be fully populated with Superchargers. Less-travelled routes can come later, but the TCH is important today.

I agree, but this has been discussed before on the main Canada East Supercharger thread and there are a number of owners in the Toronto region who disagree, who think that no chargers should be installed in the rest of Canada before the whole of Southern Ontario is populated like Southern California. So you're not going to get support from all Canadian owners.

owners in the Toronto region who disagree, who think that no chargers should be installed in the rest of Canada before the whole of Southern Ontario is populated like Southern California

Hey, did you hear, we're getting another charger in Ontario.
Ref:
Eastern Canada Superchargers - Page 260

Once that one goes in, maybe we'll feel better and "let you" have another. /kiddin' ;-)

I anticipate delivery of my SigX in March. I will need to get from Toronto to Moncton for Xmas 2016. It doesn't look good.

Let's be positive here, you will make it to Moncton, and you will be greeted with a lot of smiles and the innumerable questions about the car. :)
Seriously though, if you get a CHAdeMO adaptor, and Tesla adds one more charger along the way, it's looking possible.
Otherwise, book an overnight stay along the longest route section without a supercharger, drive the speed limit and enjoy the drive.

I anticipate delivery of my SigX in March. I will need to get from Toronto to Moncton for Xmas 2016. It doesn't look good.
Drove from Owen Sound to Nova Scotia last summer. Started from Ottawa because of a stop-over, since I had a conference there. (Thanks Doug G for the charge!) Made it to Fredericton at ten at night. Stayed overnight at the hotel there with a charger. Left Fredericton at 8:00 in the morning fully charged. But I did have a ChaDeMo adaptor so I side tracked a bit into Quebec to use the Chademo there. Now there is one in La Pocatiere so even better for next year even if the Supercharger in Riviere du Loup is still not in place. But I bet you could make it from Toronto to Moncton if you left early in the morning and stayed overnight in one of the two hotels in Edmunston with chargers ... One even has Tesla destination chargers!

I agree, but this has been discussed before on the main Canada East Supercharger thread and there are a number of owners in the Toronto region who disagree, who think that no chargers should be installed in the rest of Canada before the whole of Southern Ontario is populated like Southern California. So you're not going to get support from all Canadian owners.
Not quite like SoCal but at least one more in the Hamilton area. In the long run that will be better for everyone since it will help spur Tesla sales far more than having the TCH lined with SCs. That and a stronger C$.

Back to the topic at hand - "SuperChargers - Rivière-du-Loup, Qc" - does this 292 days in 'Permit' stage - not seem like the longest piece of Red Tape Ever?

2-7-2016_11-04-53AM_Rivière-du-Loup_Qc_292-days-in-permit-stage.jpg

When compared to Port Macquarie, Australia, that was in permit stage all of about 4-5 days, it seems like the Coal and Oil Lobby, have sent all their Top Brass, Lobbyists, and Security Forces, all out to Quebec to stop this charger station from moving forward!!

2-7-2016_11-06-48AM_Port-Macquarie_Australia_5-days-from-permit-to-construction.jpg

Can anyone explain what are the things that happen between Permit stage and Construction stage, that would cause such a long delay, at least - on this site? (if not all others as well?)

Thanks for 'Getting it' Peter! Correct - that was the question: and - as this is from the phone app, which as I know my phone does good screen captures - a couple different ways, does the Tesla Screen have the ability to do a screen capture of it?
I haven't seen it mentioned for a while, but a couple of years ago I read on TMC that holding both bottom buttons on the steering wheel takes a screenshot. But the catch is you can't ever see it - it just stores it on the car where only Tesla service can retrieve it. So that's the rumour but I've never heard of someone actually taking a screenshot and then seeing Tesla retrieve it, so it might not be true. Everyone just uses their phone to take a picture of the screen if needed.

Can anyone explain what are the things that happen between Permit stage and Construction stage, that would cause such a long delay, at least - on this site? (if not all others as well?)
The "Permit" status on supercharge.info is supposed to mean that a specific address has been identified and Tesla has submitted a building permit application. I couldn't find specific evidence about that in this thread, but I think I recall someone saying it was mentioned on one of the French-language EV forums. The location is supposed to be Hotel Universel. So either someone made a wrong assumption and Tesla has not actually submitted a building permit application, or it's taking a ridiculously long time to get the permit approved, or the permit is approved and Tesla hasn't started construction for some reason. Not very helpful, I know - bottom line: we just don't know what's going on. I'd really like to see this one opened soon too, along with a few more farther east to cover the drive to Halifax.

Details of Permit Stage - what it means or might mean?

The "Permit" status on supercharge.info is supposed to mean that a specific address has been identified and Tesla has submitted a building permit application. I couldn't find specific evidence about that in this thread, but I think I recall someone saying it was mentioned on one of the French-language EV forums. The location is supposed to be Hotel Universel. So either someone made a wrong assumption and Tesla has not actually submitted a building permit application, or it's taking a ridiculously long time to get the permit approved, or the permit is approved and Tesla hasn't started construction for some reason. Not very helpful, I know - bottom line: we just don't know what's going on. I'd really like to see this one opened soon too, along with a few more farther east to cover the drive to Halifax.

Peter - thanks for getting back to me with your thoughts at least. I guess Tesla's supercharging team is too busy to respond to this question with any details, as it likely varies from each place they go into!

Screen Capture

I haven't seen it mentioned for a while, but a couple of years ago I read on TMC that holding both bottom buttons on the steering wheel takes a screenshot. But the catch is you can't ever see it - it just stores it on the car where only Tesla service can retrieve it. So that's the rumour but I've never heard of someone actually taking a screenshot and then seeing Tesla retrieve it, so it might not be true. Everyone just uses their phone to take a picture of the screen if needed.
This is true. I was traveling and had an issue. Called Tesla and they recommended I hold down both keys to capture the screen. They then retrieved the screen on their side. They resolved the issue with their screen capture feature.

Nova Scotia news

I'd really like to see this one opened soon too, along with a few more farther east to cover the drive to Halifax.

Of interest to the eastern provinces, a fleet sales guy from Tesla has been prowling around Halifax in a dusty/salty S with Ontario plates. We sent up a meeting for him with NSPower, and I understand he's talking to folks at the airport about Teslas for an airport limo service.

If things pan out, a SC at Halifax airport would actually be a pretty good location, not just for airport limos, but for mobility around Nova Scotia and the maritimes in general.

Cool. If they do succeed in deploying a fleet of Model S taxis/limos in Halifax, I hope they will learn from the experience at Schiphol and install superchargers, even if they are for the exclusive use of the taxis.

Schiphol taxicab | Tesla Motors

As for a first pass at supercharger locations in NB & NS, the distances work out fairly well with one around Woodstock (that one's on Tesla's 2016 map) and one near Peticodiac at the junction of the TCH and #1. Those two would cover travel between Riviere-du-Loup to/from Fredricton or Saint John and Fredricton or Saint John to/from Moncton. Then the distance from there to the Halifax airport is 290km - doable but tight in bad winter conditions, but if you're heading to Cape Breton, it's not on the way. Truro would be better to cover both routes.

We need to keep talking to Tesla to get Super Chargers set up through New Brunswick, and down to you folks in Nova Scotia...gotta keep the momentum for Canadian Super Charger station installation going!

My family is coming through the Truro area this summer on our way to Newfoundland for a vacation...rp, thanks for the heads up about the Truro ChadeMo being only a 20kw charge station.

Truro (well, Glooscap Annex) does already have a CHAdeMO charger, unfortunately it's rather slow. 20 kW, IIRC. Rare as hen's teeth in Atlantic Canada.

Of interest to the eastern provinces, a fleet sales guy from Tesla has been prowling around Halifax in a dusty/salty S with Ontario plates. We sent up a meeting for him with NSPower, and I understand he's talking to folks at the airport about Teslas for an airport limo service.

If things pan out, a SC at Halifax airport would actually be a pretty good location, not just for airport limos, but for mobility around Nova Scotia and the maritimes in general.

While we definitely need to keep pushing Tesla for some NS superchargers, the situation has improved somewhat as there are now CHAdeMO stations in Truro (as mentioned already) and in Halifax proper. Not nearly as nice as real SpC's but still much better than the single beat-up L2 station at the health center we had to rely on before.

If they do decide to put some at the airport, hopefully they're at the ALT Hotel right across from the terminal rather than in the shared parkade. That place is $24 per day!