Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers - Rivière-du-Loup, Qc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Supercharger is easily accessible, however, here are a few tips:

1) If you arrive from the West, it's the easiest, but you can save a few seconds by taking the entrance to the lot that is closest to the Superchargers. So, after you go through the traffic circle and pass the entrance to Petro-Canada, go to the 3rd and last hotel lot entrance.

TO RDL from West.jpg

2) If you'll be traveling West after recharging, the hotel is on a divided boulevard, so you can't turn left out the lot. GPS will tell you to turn right and then make a legal U-turn when you have the left arrow or flashing green at the next intersection. This will work, but it is faster to drive West in the lot, then cut through or behind Petro-Canada in order to exit onto another street so you can cross the boulevard via the traffic circle.

From RDL towards West.jpg

3) If you're heading towards the Atlantic provinces after recharging, note that GoogleMaps and Waze give the correct side-street directions, but the car's tendency to recommend "main" streets means an additional two or three useless stop lights in the vicinity of the shopping center instead of a single stop sign.

From RDL towards NB.jpg

4) If you arrive from New Brunswick, you have to drive past the hotel and use the traffic circle to make a U-turn to get to the hotel. No way around it. What look like back possible back or side entrances from the East on satellite photos are blocked.

To RDL from NB.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: clea
I cruised through RdL this afternoon. I left Saint-Julie, Quebec at 9am this morning and arrived at RdL at noon. Great restaurant in Hotel Universel but not a great deal else walkable in the rain.

Charged 8%-100% and made it to Moncton tonight after L2 charging at Grand Falls Quality Inn and Amsterdam Hotel Fredericton, 2 and 1 hours respectively. I had to drive at 80 and/or draft a big rig just to make it.

Near 1,000km day today. Three hours of L2 charging and two range SC charges is a little much for one day but I'll be in Charlottetown in great time tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    671.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 101
I still think that the drive through Maine is easier with Superchargers in Brewer and Magog. Charlottetown and Halifax are accessible to Montreal / Ottawa / Toronto with only a single overnight stay to charge at the Amsterdam Inn in Sussex, NB.

Definitely true, depending on taste. However, in an 85 you can go from Montreal to Charlottewtown in a day if you leave early. About 4.5 hours total of recharging in Drummondville, RDL, Pointe-à-la-Croix (210 km/h CHAdeMO) and Bathurst (Suncountry 48A). GoogleMaps says 12:19 driving time.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Definitely true, depending on taste. However, in an 85 you can go from Montreal to Charlottewtown in a day if you leave early. About 4.5 hours total of recharging in Drummondville, RDL, Pointe-à-la-Croix (210 km/h CHAdeMO) and Bathurst (Suncountry 48A). GoogleMaps says 12:19 driving time.
Whereas I'd rate Montreal to Charlottetown in a 70D/48A charger in one day as not practical currently. I left Saint-Julie (30km East of Montreal) fully charged at 8:45am, which could have been earlier, but I still didn't get to Moncton until 12:30am. I rolled in with 1%. I charged briefly in Drummondville SC (16 minutes), Laurier-Station (CHAdeMO, 16 minutes), Rivière-du-Loup SC (1 hour), Grand Falls (48A, 2 hours), and Fredericton (48A, 1 hour).

Has anyone noticed that there is now Destination Charging at Municipalite de Notre-Dame-du-Portage in RDL? I just saw it on the map and I do not remember seeing it before. I am kind of wondering why they put that in now when there is a SC in RDL. Maybe they could move it to Woodstock!

Has anyone noticed that there is now Destination Charging at Municipalite de Notre-Dame-du-Portage in RDL? I just saw it on the map and I do not remember seeing it before. I am kind of wondering why they put that in now when there is a SC in RDL. Maybe they could move it to Woodstock!
Any hotel can ask to be a destination charger and tesla provide the charger for free in exchange of the electricity...

Any hotel can ask to be a destination charger and tesla provide the charger for free in exchange of the electricity...
From what I was told, Tesla does NOT provide the charger for free.
Maybe they used to, but not any more.
I think Tesla is "cheapening" up on a few things such as destination charging and removing the foam sound barrier under the frunk hood with newer cars. They seem to be doing anything to save a few bucks here and there.

From what I was told, Tesla does NOT provide the charger for free.
Maybe they used to, but not any more...

For years, including the in the recent past, there have been instances where Tesla has provided the Wall connector AND paid a portion of the installation costs. It is a case by case basis. Will the site serve many customers or fill a void? Will it be a good showcase for Tesla? (For example, having Teslas recharge near the entrance of an upscale hotel is good advertising)

Perhaps they have tightened the restrictions on the freebies, but I don't see why they would reject all proposals without evaulating them.

As for Grand Portage, it predates the nearby Supercharger by about a year.

EDIT : The Tesla destination charging page still includes this passage:
Attract Tesla drivers to your property by joining the destination charging network. Qualified properties will receive their first two Tesla wall connectors free of charge as long as they are installed in visible or convenient locations. Contact us for more information.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk