Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers - Scotland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at current and future supercharger locations, why no Glasgow?

Stirling, Perth, Dundee are all around 40 miles of each other. Stirling is 38 miles from Edinburgh. From Stirling, the next nearest supercharger on the west coast is 54 miles away at Abington. Glasgow is completely bypassed, despite being just as much of a gateway to the north and northwest of Scotland, not to mention the largest city in Scotland by population.

No sales presence, no service centre, no supercharger.

But the M9/M80/M90 corridor looks over-served by comparison.

Looking at current and future supercharger locations, why no Glasgow?

Don't suppose anyone here will know the answer to that ... could be that Tesla haven't found any landlords in that area that are interested, or demographics indicate its not a priority compared to other areas.

I don't know how Tesla handles Budget for Superchargers, but the rollout of stalls compared to "payback" - measured in terms of percentage-and-hours-of-stalls-use, currently, must be a lousy return on investment, so its a future-market-share thing. So must be some limit on how many they can actually build ...

I don't charge much (in fact "hardly at all") at non-Supercharger locations, but when I have done its only a problem of time, so needs some planning. When combined with shopping or destination charging it is fine. CYC charging in Scotland is free I think? and with CHAdeMO you get about 50% of speed of Supercharger so ... "doable"

Yes I also thought after Edinburgh .Glasgow would be a good location for a dealership or at least a supercharger.when I was considering a tesla I thought I would use the Abington supercharger all the time approx 30 miles away. but since discovered several local free 43 kw chargers within 5 miles of my home but can only charge at 18kw through onboard charger . never needed to use the supercharger network yet but good to know it's there if needed and growing in size all the time.

The last place I would want a Supercharger is close to home.
I use a Supercharger as a splash & dash whilst enroute to somewhere else.
So the best place for Superchargers for me is on major routes, outside conurbations.
I'm not going to spend much time at these places, grab a coffee, stretch the legs, have a pee - that's it.
The idea that Superchargers are the only places Teslas can/should charge is wrong and so their expansion should not be based on a 'demand' created by the poor charging strategy of owners (or unlimited free charging!)

The last place I would want a Supercharger is close to home.
I use a Supercharger as a splash & dash whilst enroute to somewhere else.
So the best place for Superchargers for me is on major routes, outside conurbations.
I'm not going to spend much time at these places, grab a coffee, stretch the legs, have a pee - that's it.
The idea that Superchargers are the only places Teslas can/should charge is wrong and so their expansion should not be based on a 'demand' created by the poor charging strategy of owners (or unlimited free charging!)

So somewhere on the motorways around Glasgow should certainly be on the cards ASAP. The location in Fort William is needed urgently as well... not just for people like me living on the West coast that need to do big trips to and from the central belt... but for tourists as well.

The huge blank area over the West of Scotland is pretty poor really.

So somewhere on the motorways around Glasgow should certainly be on the cards ASAP. The location in Fort William is needed urgently as well... not just for people like me living on the West coast that need to do big trips to and from the central belt... but for tourists as well.

Yes, I very much agree that the west of Scotland is poorly served. Excellent for going up the centre line of northern Scotland via Perth and Aviemore but out west it's a different story. People travelling to the west coast from other parts of Scotland or from England will pass the outskirts of Glasgow so it would be useful to have some Supercharging there. Fortwilliam is a good suggestion too.

The outskirts of Edinburgh benefitted from an early Supercharger site at the Airport but it's only 2 stalls so could do with upgrading or adding another site (perhaps near the SC as that's only 5 minutes away and is handy for motorway connections).

Tesla built a Glasgow Supercharger earlier this year - it's at the Eurocentral Dakota hotel, so a perfect location relative to the big Central Belt population centres. Trouble is there is some issue preventing it getting wired in to the grid.

I've seen a rumour that they may put Superchargers in at the Newbridge Service Centre. I doubt it's their preferred option as it would presumably need to be closed outside office hours, a bit like the new Manchester/Stockport chargers (which, last time I checked, weren't shown on the Nav map, presumably because they have limited availability).

I believe Tyndrum was looked at but ruled out due to grid supply issues.

Tesla will be well aware of gaps in their network but getting them filled is easier said than done. I believe the UK is particularly tricky due to issues with grid supply and rights of landowners. If you have local knowledge of a promising site you can always let them know: Charging Partners | Tesla UK