TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Superchargers & Service centers doubled by end of next year - really?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mkjayakumar, Apr 4, 2016.

1. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Bartender, can I please have what Mr. Musk is having?

Doubling of Superchargers and Service centers? Really how is that possible? May be if you throw a lot of money at it then.. maybe.. Tesla could conceivably double the number Service centers in 20 months, although hiring competent techs is not going to be easy. And then the question of where is the money going to come? Opening Service centers are huge capital expenses.

But how are they going to double the number of Super chargers? That is not necessarily a problem that can be solved with just money. Right now they are around 250+ in the US (and 600+ world wide). How it is possible to add 250 more in the in US just 20 months? That 12 SCs every month through December of next year. Identifying locations, contracts with business, permits, approvals and then construction. Only the last item on that list can be sped up by throwing money at it. The rest will take whatever time it takes and Musk doesn't have a magic wand on that. Unless there are some negotiations going on with a national chain that is under final stages.. but I doubt it.

I applaud Musks' intentions, but as we have seen too many times in the past, he is a little too optimistic and we are all used to parsing his comments as well intentioned aspirations and goals rather than any commitment. But even with that filter this 'doubling' message seems to be on the wild side.

Another 150 Superchargers between now and then would be a great achievement and I would be more than satisfied with that. But then again I have been wrong in the past and will be happy to be wrong again on this.. but I doubt it.

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

Oh ye of little faith. Of course, it is done "Telsa Time", but I have full confidence it will happen. Tesla has a team that does nothing but work out locations of future Superchargers, and another team that does nothing but work out Service Center locations, along with the required leasing, contracting, etc.

That map of "future locations" is pretty well worked out. Stay tuned.

3. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

I'm more interested in the promise that every mid-sized metro area will have stores and service centers (IIRC). It'll be quite a trick to get the NADA to go along with that in Michigan. Even if Tesla goes forward with the lawsuit they're making noises about, I'm sure it will end up in the Supreme Court. I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt they can win the case in less than two years, let alone start construction. Here's to hoping they put something in Sylvania, OH (not Toledo -- I want it *just* across the border just to spite MI's political officials).

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

For one thing we don't know how far along they are in finding new sites for either service or Superchargers. These are not new problems, they could have already identified sites for most of the doubling.

For the superchargers however, keep in mind that Elon was always taking about number of stalls, not sites. That means its possible that a significant number of the new superchargers will be at existing sites, like the one in Delaware that recently tripled in size. We have no idea what the leases that Tesla signed stipulate, but its a good bet that a fair number of them have clauses for expansion in them. Remember this is not something that is coming out of the blue.

Lastly in look at their past performance, two years ago there were only about 100 Supercharger sites, now there are over 600. As long as they stay on pace they could easily double the number they have now just by increasing the number of stalls at the average site. Service Center data is harder to come by, but if my knowledge of the north east is typical, they've more than doubled the number of service centers in the last two years as well.

5. zambono

zambono Member

They did just get $300M, which in turn should allow them to get a couple Billion loan. Thats how to do it.

6. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

in the grand scheme of things the superchargers aren't really a big cost i think. They are teslas single largest competitive asset (apart from maybe not having competing interests by also selling ICE vehicles).
    yeah i know tesla has all these fancy patents on drivetrain technology, fancy touchscreens whatever. But BMW can do a bit of heavy RDnE and probably come up with something like that. However, they will not build charging stations everywhere and try to best themselves with their EVs in order to avoid competition with their diesel/petrol cars.