Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers slowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 S 85D. I’ve noticed on some trips over the last few months that SC has limited charging to 32-35KW. I’ve also been kicked off a SC after a few minutes with the “check power source” message. When I get back to the car it reads service required and car may not start. Never have problems with home charging. Any suggestions appreciated! This makes road trips not so fun and kind of stressful!

Definitely something wrong here. I have seen this error message when my battery was extremely low. A wild guess with the little info it could be the DCDC converter not working. That will eventually kill the 12 Volt battery and disable the car entirely.

I also have a 2015 85d and have similarly noticed much slower super charger times since this past summer. I am an infrequent super charger user on US East Coast...typically 1 or 2 trips in summer. I have tried changing stalls, haven’t parked in same stall as where another car was charging (when possible) and noticed on a trip with 70 degree weather in summer and another one with 30 degrees in winter. I realize the cold likely impacted the winter trip and I don’t have the exact charge speeds but it sure felt slower than previous trips.

Tesla has reduced the supercharge speed on all older cars. This has been part of the regular software updates. Tesla recently changed the the way and rate at which the car charges in connection to the battery temperature. The battery now has to be warmer to get the full charge rate. Or the other way around, when the battery is cold, you are new seeing a lower charge rate compared to before the update. The same update also affects regen and normal charging on AC.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: cwerdna and rGin
On my car and many others reported on these fora, the previous full charge rate has been kneecapped and is NOT even close to what it had been. For example, my 85S max rate was 53 Kw and that was only a few seconds when charging for 2.5 hours from 11-98%.YRMV

Thank you very much

FURY

Tesla has reduced the supercharge speed on all older cars. This has been part of the regular software updates. Tesla recently changed the the way and rate at which the car charges in connection to the battery temperature. The battery now has to be warmer to get the full charge rate. Or the other way around, when the battery is cold, you are new seeing a lower charge rate compared to before the update. The same update also affects regen and normal charging on AC.

Thanks David. Makes more sense now. Am actually in process of trading in the S for a new 3LR. Gonna miss this S though. Absolutely love the car. Will be a sad day when I have to leave it at SC.

Definitely something wrong here. I have seen this error message when my battery was extremely low. A wild guess with the little info it could be the DCDC converter not working. That will eventually kill the 12 Volt battery and disable the car entirely.
That’s very interesting info. I noticed that the messages shortly after a swap of the 12V for a newer generation 12V. The mobile team mentioned its happening a lot to my year S. He has some trouble updating software when he finished the swap. Sounds like it could be related. Thanks very much for the info. I have a service appt this week and will report back. In terms of the slower charge speeds this may be intentional on Tesla’s part from what I’m reading below. Not happy about that one! Thanks again.

Reactions: David99
That’s very unfortunate. It makes trip planning a little tough and increases trip times. I would like to see my original 75KW speeds return! Thanks for posting.

That’s very unfortunate. It makes trip planning a little tough and increases trip times. I would like to see my original 75KW speeds return! Thanks for posting.

Yes my travel time has gone up significantly over the years. I spend twice as long charging as I used to. The reduction is supercharging speed is not the same on all cars though. The more use a batter has, the more it is reduced. My battery has 260k miles on it. That's why it is reduced so much. Other owners have reported slower charge speeds, but not quite as dramatic as I have. But either way, it is slower for all older cars now.

I plugged in last week, it started at 19kw, they have throttled me back 50%. Takes me 2 more hours to get to Richmond now. Max I have gotten since v9 is 75kw. Used to start at 125kw. I started at 39 last week. Its really bad on trips now.

That's really bad. I noticed sometimes for reasons not clear to me, the supercharge rate is reduced extra. It's not temperature, or shared stalls or state of charge. Just sometimes I plug in and it is super slow. Other times it's normal (which is still slower than when the car was new). I supercharge very often and have ScanMyTesla to check CAN bus data, so I can see what is going on. There are many factors that can bring the charge rate down, but those few times when it is extra slow I have yet to find a reason. I know it's the car because I can see the BMS only allows the extra slow charge rate.

55 minutes into charging, have gained only 148 miles.

I started at 30 miles left, charging started with 24kw. Went to 54kw at around 100 miles. Now at 183 miles its at 34kw.

To say the charging time has increased would be an understatement and it’s so sad to see this. My super charger is almost always full probably because it takes 2 hours+ to charge depleted to full.

Charging over 80% at a SuperCharger is a waste of time for most people due to the charge taper.
For the fastest trip speeds charge between 20 - 60% or 70% and then go.
That is usually enough to get to the next charger or your destination.
Charging to 100% is usually not needed, wastes time and ties up a charger stall.

Just came back from SF-LA-SF, a trip we have done for many times but haven't done in over 1 year.
Really painful and frustrating now with a 10% degraded 60 and much slower charge rates at the superchargers.
Was pulling about 26kW at 50%. Also, keep a lookout for the automatic limit reduction at high-usage superchargers.
I didn't pay attention at Harris Ranch and was limited, and when I started off I only had 149 miles and the navi said it would reach Gilroy with 5% and to stay below 70mph. After we got underway though it recalculated to around 10% and the warning went away.

Seriously considering splurging on a 370-mile model S. Or at least a 300 mile Y.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Charging over 80% at a SuperCharger is a waste of time for most people due to the charge taper.
For the fastest trip speeds charge between 20 - 60% or 70% and then go.
That is usually enough to get to the next charger or your destination.
Charging to 100% is usually not needed, wastes time and ties up a charger stall.

That's true in theory. For winter and especially for cars with smaller batteries there is little choice but to charge higher.

What firmware version? In 40.2.3 there are new battery diagnostics which are flagging some batteries for replacement.
I’ll definitely look. I have a service call on Wednesday so I’m hoping it’s something they can solve. Very disconcerting regarding everyone’s experiences with the SC network. This is not a great move on Tesla’s part. I charge at home 95% of the time but I don’t want to stress out on long trips. Thanks for the tip.

Seriously considering splurging on a 370-mile model S...
I know the idea may be tempting but it’s a really illogical idea. If you do that you are telling them what they did is just fine, actually more than that, you are rewarding them. And when they decide to chargegate and/or batterygate the 100 kWh packs (I’m pretty confident they will at some point) you will be in the same position again but they will have more of your $$$.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kmartyn and Kenz
To put this in perspective, cross country road trip in 2018 averaged 50-55 mph including stops. Never used more than 67% of the battery. Most charges were 55% or 140 miles or a little less.

Now with chargegate, I find the going from 30-80% takes 21% longer than it used to.

That turns out to be about a 10% decrease in cross country speed. Not fun, but not a big deal as long as you have 85Kw battery or larger..

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf