Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers super-slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I thought it was just me. The other night I stopped at the Dedham' MA supercharger (I stop there maybe once a month) and I was at ~40-50 kw charging. I have a refreshed limited 60kwh S, and that is a rate much lower than I've seen. it was about 10pm, I was the only one there, and battery was not cold / overly hot. I figured it was being limited, but hadn't seen anything on the boards.

FWIW, I have a Sig 2012 Model S with 45k miles on it, and have never noticed any change in SC behavior since then (and I've used the SC network quite extensively for roadtrips, probably 8k miles total).

Really? My Sig started having all kinds of issues supercharging starting this summer. Many owners of brand new Tesla's are also complaining:

Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates

My wife experienced extremely slow charging in Manteca the other night when she was with her sister(I wasn't there).

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

At any rate, that was it and she's done with Tesla. She'll never drive it again unless it's short trips where she doesn't have to charge. As a result, we will not end up buying another Tesla even if they end up fixing whatever the hell has been going on because she won't believe and will veto the purchase. Unfortunately, once she's made up her mind on stuff like this, you can't ever change it.

Yep. I did warn Tesla in a post that this would start affecting sales and they really need to fix it ASAP.

Anybody on 7.1 or older that hasn't updated yet? Are you seeing normal charge rates? Could they have changed the ramp rate in the software to prolong battery life?

All my experiences with the crappy charge rate were on 7.1. Haven't supercharged on 8.0

Reactions: Bengineer
Did a trip up the coast wed/thurs in Petaluma. Going up we got 230kw/hr when below 50 percent, next day coming back, same station with zero other tesli charging, only ramped up (very slowly) to 150kw/hr charging..we had to wait for 30 plus minutes just to get enough charge to top off. This should have been an easy 20 minutes to restore the 90 percent load I wanted to have before heading south again.

I've personally experienced over 333kw/hr charges in Napa just over the bay. So yes, this seems rather reduced or throttled, call it what you will.
Those numbers don't make sense. Do you mean 333km/hr?
It would be nice if the system would report if the car is reducing/throttling due to battery temp or if the SpC was throttling/reducing due to issues on the "shore" side.
The charging screen shows the real-time charging rate in kilowatts.
As a rough rule you'll get a rate of about 95kW until the battery is 50% full, then it will progressively taper down as the battery fills further.
By the time the battery is nearing full the rate can be very low, like 15 or 20kW.
That's why you're always better off leaving a supercharger at 60 or 70% if it's not too far to the next one.

There is an additional Supercharger problem as to now unreported. Yesterday, on a drive from Nashville to Memphis, I ran into rain and snow between Nashville and Jackson Tn where I planned to charge. I started out with about 45 miles of "margin", but by the time I got to the Jackson Tn supercharger, I was down to 11 miles of energy left. I plugged into 2A. It would not charge at all. After a few minutes, I moved to 4B, still no chargeing. Then, I moved to 1B. Still no charging. AND.. No other tesla was there. I phoned Tesla assistance. The tech did not know, but phoned the supercharger people for an answer. I was told to "just wait and charging would start eventually". And so it did. Over a 20 minute period, the miles-to-go weint from 11 to about 20 miles. Then, over another 5 minutes, the charge went to the normal 92kw rate. Then, another 20 minutes and I had a text to continue my trip. THIS ANOMOLY NEEDS TO BE DOCUMENTED IN THE TESLA MANUAL OR BETTER YET! REPAIRED?

I plugged into 2A. It would not charge at all. After a few minutes, I moved to 4B, still no chargeing. Then, I moved to 1B. Still no charging. AND.. No other tesla was there. I phoned Tesla assistance. The tech did not know, but phoned the supercharger people for an answer. I was told to "just wait and charging would start eventually".
Can you be more specific? What did the instrument cluster say at the time?

Yeah, I'd like them to update the expected charge speeds and communicate this to us. I generally only get speeds between 40kw-80kw now. Over the last 3 months and supercharging at many different stations, I have not topped 90kw. A few times I have had to wait 20 minutes for charging to begin. Battery gauge on dash wasn't showing limitation due to cold and I had been driving for over an hour each time. I tried numerous stalls, and no other Teslas were present. Not sure what's going on these days. Didn't have any of those issues at those same chargers when I first got the car. Definitely a more recent development.

Reactions: apacheguy
Add me to the list too. I drove from FL to MA last May and each stop was just enough time to use the rest room and grab a coffee. In December when I went the other way, each stop seemed like it took twice as long. The trip north was actually very pleasant and relaxing, a brief stop every 2 1/2-3 hours. The recent trip was painful. Painful enough to make me question whether I want another Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Agree, starts out fast then dwindles. Super annoying. Change this Tesla, if it continues to get worse, I won't be an owner anymore. I dont even really rely on SC's that much either, but when I do, I dont want to sit there for 90m-2.5hrs thats for sure. I miss the days of 30/45m quick charging.

Reactions: apacheguy
I did a trip over the holidays to IA from NC, about 1200 miles each way with 7 or 8 SC stops each way as well. What I noticed was that supercharging took longer than indicated on the display or in the app. This was a bigger issue for me than the longer time alone. It was only an issue when going above ~80-85% so maybe as my 12 P85 has 65K on it it is taking longer to balance out and get the top end of the charge done. As an example, when the display would say 55min required to continue it would take around 1:15 to 1:30 to actually get the message that it was ok to continue and when it would say 1:15 it took more like 2 hrs. Again, the additional time is not necessarily the issue but more of the inaccuracy of the displays since that is what I was using to plan the stops. Still waiting to see what the SvC says about it from the logs.

Unbelievable, I started a similar thread a few weeks ago and was chewed out with people telling me I was lying. This confirms my suspicion that super chargers are a scam and not worth my time. They told me it was just an isolated incident. In a few months of ownership I have only dared to take my car on a road trip once due to the horrible first experience.

I'm trying hard to enjoy this car for what it is, but the constant lies from Tesla are beginning to infuriate me. Between surreptitiously limiting performance, lies about battery capacity, lack of promised auto pilot features, throttling superchargers speeds this is crazy.

Last edited:
Disturbing news. Doing our first 2600 mile round trip in March. ABRP showing 5+ hrs one way to charge.

Now thinking I'll either take an ICE, or pop for the $1800 to fly since it's questionable we'll have AP1 parity by then. Going to have to take a shorter run soon to get a better feel for this issue :(

There is an additional Supercharger problem as to now unreported. Yesterday, on a drive from Nashville to Memphis, I ran into rain and snow between Nashville and Jackson Tn where I planned to charge. I started out with about 45 miles of "margin", but by the time I got to the Jackson Tn supercharger, I was down to 11 miles of energy left. I plugged into 2A. It would not charge at all. After a few minutes, I moved to 4B, still no chargeing. Then, I moved to 1B. Still no charging. AND.. No other tesla was there. I phoned Tesla assistance. The tech did not know, but phoned the supercharger people for an answer. I was told to "just wait and charging would start eventually". And so it did. Over a 20 minute period, the miles-to-go weint from 11 to about 20 miles. Then, over another 5 minutes, the charge went to the normal 92kw rate. Then, another 20 minutes and I had a text to continue my trip. THIS ANOMOLY NEEDS TO BE DOCUMENTED IN THE TESLA MANUAL OR BETTER YET! REPAIRED?

I don't think it is the cold weather. Others users have reported similar behavior when connecting with less than 5% remaining and not all of them were in cold climates. Tesla updated the supercharger algorithm to significantly slow the ramp up at lower SOC. it is not clear why they chose to do this. It certainly did not use to be this way.

Agree, starts out fast then dwindles. Super annoying. Change this Tesla, if it continues to get worse, I won't be an owner anymore. I dont even really rely on SC's that much either, but when I do, I dont want to sit there for 90m-2.5hrs thats for sure. I miss the days of 30/45m quick charging.

Yep. Supercharging used to be much more reliable for me. Tesla has significantly degraded the capabilities of the SpC network. Unfortunate.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Just got a reply from my Service Center.

"I double checked with my technician and he did take a look at the logs on your vehicle. Everything is checking out fine with the car. He did say that there has been some health issue with some of the Superchargers causing much slower charging rates."

How wonderfully vague....

This is totally unsubstantiated, but perhaps they are finding damage to the packs with high charge and reducing the rate accordingly? Similar to pack performance limits but in reverse? What sense does it make to piss us all off?

Really the only "slow" part was toward the later portion of the charge profile, which was expected just not expected to be as slow as it was. All of the Superchargers I visited, maybe 4-6 in total, that required a charge above 80% required 25-50% longer than indicated to achieve the charge required. These were spread across several states as well and I was almost always the only Tesla there but if I did have others I was the only one on a pair of stalls.

I expect that supercharging would get slower as the battery ages but I would also expect the car and the display to anticipate this and correctly report the time required to achieve a given SoC. Maybe they haven't got enough vehicles with sufficient mileage on them to do this yet....