Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers super-slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I charge at my local SC in Cincinnati I never get over 200 miles/hr (and there's rarely anyone else there). When I'm on the road I get 300+. I'm thinking they are throttling local chargers, which I get.

If you want us to be able to relate to your numbers, you will need to report the kW rate you are charging at. MPH charge rate is the AVERAGE for the charging session. Since we don't know where you are in the charge cycle, it is pretty meaningless.

I find when the connector gets hot the power is throttled back. There is a temp sensor in the connector to prevent it from getting too hot. I think the connectors are having trouble with the wear and tear of a lot of use. So if the cord end or the car inlet side is dirty or worn charging starts out at a high rate but after 10 to 20 min the connector gets hot and the charger starts to throttle. Feel the handle if the charge rate starts dropping.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Tarrytown

Attachments

• IMG_9812.JPG
    IMG_9812.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 128
Tarrytown

Can somebody PLEASE tell me why people keep posting these pictures of their charging, with no explanation whatsoever? Apparently their point is supposed to be obvious from the picture. So you are charging at 82 kW. Do you think that's ok? Do you think that's low, since the title of this thread is "Superchargers super-slow"?

I don't get it.

Reactions: David99
Yes, to augment the prior post on Tarrytown with a picture to answer it. See below. Would have been more descriptive but was at a light and only had the time to add the location. Figured it would be obvious from the message above (and now quoted below). Have a nice day.

And you're getting that where? Paramus? I haven't seen 300 there.

Tarrytown

Last edited:
Reactions: BerTX
Understand that 2A and 2B are the same charger. If there is a problem with the charger, that can't solve anything. You need to move to another numbered stall to get a different charger set.

This is exactly what i wanted to prove. That it's not a cable issue on the same charger, but many chargers are operating at a lot lower rate, despite not being shared, not being in the cold, battery not being close to full...

This is exactly what i wanted to prove. That it's not a cable issue on the same charger, but many chargers are operating at a lot lower rate, despite not being shared, not being in the cold, battery not being close to full...

Ah, ok. You'll need to give your state of charge in your first post, since at higher SOC, a kW rate of 40ish would not be unusual. Since we don't know this number, we don't know if this rate is "rediculous".

Then, after verifying that 2A and 2B are the same, then move to the other chargers and see if it has that same rate. All we know from your testing is that we should avoid charger set #2 at that location. To know if that site is being throttled, and not just a weak charger set, we'd need more data.

I just completed a substantive road trip – Boston area to Ocean City MD via Morristown NJ – about 1,000 miles total. This was my first road trip in a while and I was so disappointed with super charger performance that I sought out this thread to better understand. My last big trip was probably six months ago. Bottom line – supercharging seemed much slower than I recall. I did capture a couple of instances which didn’t really make sense to me.

1) East Brunswick,NJ (Daytime Picture) ~50 miles remaining, temperature 60 degrees, 4 stalls, 3 occupied including me
2) East Greenwich, RI (Nighttime Picture) ~60 miles remaining, temperature 50 degrees, 10 stalls, only me

Here are the detailed stats

EastGreenwichRI.jpg EastBrunswickNJ.jpg
EastGreenwich EastBrunswick

Why so low a charge rate in a large empty East Greenwich SC (61kW)?
Why are mi/hr lower in East Brunswick (218 vs 246) with higher charge rate (70kW vs 60kW)

I wish I had captured more details and will over the next few weeks – but the experience was very inconsistent and disconcerting.

Any additional thoughts?

Last edited:
  • Informative
I just completed a substantive road trip – Boston area to Ocean City MD via Morristown NJ – about 1,000 miles total. This was my first road trip in a while and I was so disappointed with super charger performance that I sought out this thread to better understand. My last big trip was probably six months ago. Bottom line – supercharging seemed much slower than I recall. I did capture a couple of instances which didn’t really make sense to me.

1) East Brunswick,NJ (Daytime Picture) ~50 miles remaining, temperature 60 degrees, 4 stalls, 3 occupied including me
2) East Greenwich, RI (Nighttime Picture) ~60 miles remaining, temperature 50 degrees, 10 stalls, only me

Here are the detailed stats

View attachment 216322 View attachment 216323
EastGreenwich EastBrunswick

Why so low a charge rate in a large empty East Greenwich SC (61kW)?
Why are mi/hr lower in East Brunswick (218 vs 246) with higher charge rate (70kW vs 60kW)

I wish I had captured more details and will over the next few weeks – but the experience was very inconsistent and disconcerting.

Any additional thoughts?

I'm right there with you. Had much higher charge rates when I first got the car (highest I saw was 115kw). Now I cannot top 85kw, and normally charge significantly lower than that. Supercharger stops now take me about an hour and a half when I used to spend 45 min max. That's with a battery between 10-20% SoC, warm after hours of driving, and no one else at the Supercharger. Trying numerous other stalls produces the same result.

Many will try to single you out or blame you, as if this is some issue unique to you. But it isn't. There are a lot of people talking about this and I'm not inclined to believe they are all incorrect. Especially when it's happening to me too.

I'd really like an explanation from Tesla, or at least an acknowledgement. So far their response has been silence. Each time I report the issue the person on the phone offers the same brain dead response I've heard a million times. When they realize I know what I'm talking about and I've already checked off the basics, they claim to be passing the issues on to the engineers with a promise that I'll get a call back with an explanation. That hasn't happened yet.

Long distance travel has become so painful now I either avoid it or have to take more drastic measures like resorting to ICE.

Totally team Tesla here, but please address this and let us know what the f*ck is going on. Thanks.