Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers - Tesla is playing games

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well we stopped by the Tesla Superchargers in Crestview Florida like we normally do every other week. Plugged in to the same stall we usually get. MSP was totally prepped for the charging. Told my wife that this should be excellent because 7 of the 8 stalls were vacant. Then the one guy pulls plug and we have it all to selves.

We have Unlimited Free Super Charging we got when we bought the MSP. We plugged in and lord and behold we got 118 mi/hr. We usually get 320 and toward the end get 180. It took us over an hour to go from 52% to 90%. Usually we spend 20-25 mins to fully charge.

Is it possible that Tesla is limiting owners who have Unlimited Free Supercharging to a slower rate?

So on a side note I was always wondering why the general public hates Tesla Owners so much. Today at the Supercharger I finally figured it out. The place was a trash dump. All around chargers was fast food trash. The were doggy poop bags everywhere. Worst yet there was dirty baby diapers thrown between parking places. Trash dumpster is like a 200ft walk from stalls. Good Grief !!!!!!!

People please don't do $hit (pun intended) like this!

M

How does it help Tesla to have you guys clogging up their Superchargers that they are planning to open to all EV's?

It doesn't save them money the way your internet provide saves money by limiting the data you consume. You are still going to consume the electricity, but tie up the chargers while doing it, so Tesla could end up lose money selling charges to people without unlimited charging.

Reactions: android04
to go from 50% to 90% takes around an hour as it has for about 3 years now. i dono how to translate mph to kW so i cant say much on that. Did you try a different stall? was it a v2 or v3 station, what was the ambient temp, how far had you driven since the car was last sitting around, did you navigate to the station or just drive there because you knew where you were going?

Chargers could have an issue. I thought for the longest I was capped at 100kW (performance S with free SC) but a few months later I started getting max charge again. Read on plugshare others had the same issue at that location.

Yeah the chargers age out. Seems like the biggest culprit is the cables themselves. Seems like they get somewhat brittle after some number of charging events, this leads to less optimal electrical connection, which leads to heat production, which the unit senses and therefore decreases max charge rate. Every once in a while, depending on lots of factors, Tesla comes thru and changes all of the cables. So, when this happens, try a different cable and if they are all the same, decide if a different location might be better for you.

PS why not install a plug wherever you park the car while you are sleeping?

Who knows? Hopefully it was an anomaly. I've been saying this for awhile, but It would be cool if there was a checklist displayed on the charging screen that would show whether or not the attributing factors for optimal charging to occur like:

• battery temperature/coolant
  • cooling system/fans
  • paired or restricted stall power
  • etc
I mean, it would help identify if there was something wrong with the Supercharger or our cars. I've had some instances when I get hit 128kW, sometimes only 72, and a few times I've gotten no more than 34kW...at which point I try another stall and that seems to be the solution. It always leaves me wondering if perhaps there's something wrong with my car.

Been retired for 20 years. I watch the news and get me a Starbucks....

Model S still less expensive than a Escalade or supercars my retired friends drive...

M

I have a gen 3 Tesla wall connector in garage. Used a few times in 3 years of ownership.
I see. That's a different story then. Visiting the Supercharger is just a reason to get out of the house, plus it's on Tesla's electric bill. Makes sense.

As for the charging speed, I bet it's just a maintenance issue. Just like partial PCS failure can slow down home charging, there are things that can cause the Supercharger to not deliver it's max amperage.

It's not a conspiracy!! LOL. 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: Gadget-X
Well that was a half joke... Was watching a YOUTUBE and Tesla is no longer putting homelink on some models of Teslas. Charging $300 to add. Also no charger anymore etc...$$$ Probably more of a business plan I guess. Some are wondering if they are going to take away the FSD some of us paid for... because of the Recall (update) whatever.

Have a great Tesla Day...

M