Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Superchargers that have automatic charge connection"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

In the new "Full Self Driving Capability" option description on the S and X order configuration pages it states: "For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even have to get out of your vehicle."

This has been mentioned in a few other threads but I thought I would start a thread focused on this remarkable statement by Tesla.

Apparently Tesla really is planning on implementing "hands free" Supercharger cable operation in the future. When Elon talked about the "charging snake" about a year ago, he wasn't kidding. See

Reactions: jiehan
I've been posting about this as the real purpose of that snake charger since the video came out. It's not a goofy novelty for your garage ;)

They'll have to show the production model pretty soon because they need to be deployed at Superchargers on the route from LA to NYC before the demo trip is possible.

They're a necessity for Mobility App fleets, they'd have to be in place around a service area before service starts.

I'd expect a Supercharger Valet mode to be one of the earlier advanced features.

This also helps solve the problem of Tesla owners without personal garages (as is common in China or many big cities). A commercial parking garage could install a few snake chargers in out of the way spots. Teslas could use them in Valet mode on their own as needed. A few chargers serving many vehicles without human intervention.

Pricing out a new Model S and saw this:
"The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle."
I can't wait to hear of the first supercharger with this upgrade!

Pricing out a new Model S and saw this:
"The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle."
That is the same quote that I show in my post that started this thread, and it is why I started this thread.

But will it close the charge port for pre-automatic port closing vehicles?

Who says it will even use the charge port. Tesla has a patent on a method of hooking up both the charging and liquid temperature control from under the car. Which may be how they are thinking about being able to have higher power charging without cable or cooling issues.

wouldn't that preclude the car from being fully autonomous and therefore not the target of the automated charger.
Tesla never promised that any vehicle produced before the FSDC hardware was introduced in Oct 2015 would be "fully autonomous" or be able to autonomously charge.

So the earlier cars with non-powered charge port doors won't be charging on their own. Nor will they use some other charging method not related to the charge port. They don't have the necessary hardware.

Autonomous charging will be for the FSDC capable cars.

Tesla never promised that any vehicle produced before the FSDC hardware was introduced in Oct 2015 would be "fully autonomous" or be able to autonomously charge.

So the earlier cars with non-powered charge port doors won't be charging on their own. Nor will they use some other charging method not related to the charge port. They don't have the necessary hardware.

Autonomous charging will be for the FSDC capable cars.
pretty sure that's what I was implying, but check my sig :)