Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperChargers under construction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my not-so-scientific guess as to the dearth of known construction sites and permits for US Superchargers to-date in 2016: (Sorry Canada :redface:)

The necessary locations continue to shrink as more Superchargers are built. Accordingly, placement strategy becomes more and more paramount. Two years ago, it was not as important to coordinate locations because the east-west and north-south interstates had not been built out extensively with SC. It was necessary to build out a stretch of highway, and Tesla took what was available, figuring they would coordinate the linking as more highways were completed. For example, when Tesla completes Interstate 10 through New Mexico and Texas and also completes Interstate 25 from Las Cruces to Albuquerque, their planners will need to assess where to place SC along both highways for best (and least expensive) coverage. This involves coordinating the placements along Interstate 10 and Interstate 25 in tandem. I do not think that they would want to have a SC in Las Cruces AND El Paso (50 miles difference) if they can have them in Deming and Truth or Consequences. But if Tesla is having some difficulties in negotiating suitable arrangements in one of these communities, it throws off the whole game plan, sending Tesla back to the drawing board.

I have a feeling that as Tesla gets these crucial highway junction locations solved, we will begin to see a flurry of permits and construction emanating from them.

Just as an update, there are a grand total of 2 (two) SC's under construction across the entire US. We have talked about this before, but now the Model X is actually here and shipping. Supercharger progress has really slowed down a lot. A sales rep at my local showroom told me the other day that he was at a TM meeting where they announced a "doubling" of SC locations within the next year. The current progress does not suggest that.

Sorry, but I will continue to reiterate that you have no actual knowledge of how many superchargers are under construction or expansion. As well as the two you know about, within the last week we found out that Delaware and Harris Ranch are both being significantly expanded. And Buttonwillow opened. Maybe others that we don't know about, or maybe not. But I strongly assert that you do not have any proof at all of your negative assertion that there aren't any more.

-- update --
Since writing the above, I found that superchargers are soon to go active in Napa (maybe one of the two you said were in progress) and Santa Ana (which we only found out about today). There's a major expansion of one in Europe, only just discovered. Beatty, NV, went live a week ago. Slidell, LA, 10 days ago. Jackson, Mississippi, is under construction (maybe that's the other one you already counted). All this just from a quick perusal of the regional supercharger threads.

Last edited:
How does supercharge.net get their info? Are they 100% accurate with construction and permits?

I believe supercharge.info gets most of their info from posts to TMC, at least indirectly. People posting to and reading this forum send updates via email to BlueShift, who is also on this forum and maintains the site. Effectively it's crowdsourced, and while certainly not guaranteed 100% accurate and up-to-date, frankly it's the best source I've seen by far.

I looked at supercharge.net, and it has just one site under construction. ;-)

Sorry, but I will continue to reiterate that you have no actual knowledge of how many superchargers are under construction or expansion. As well as the two you know about, within the last week we found out that Delaware and Harris Ranch are both being significantly expanded. And Buttonwillow opened. Maybe others that we don't know about, or maybe not. But I strongly assert that you do not have any proof at all of your negative assertion that there aren't any more.

-- update --
Since writing the above, I found that superchargers are soon to go active in Napa (maybe one of the two you said were in progress) and Santa Ana (which we only found out about today). There's a major expansion of one in Europe, only just discovered. Beatty, NV, went live a week ago. Slidell, LA, 10 days ago. Jackson, Mississippi, is under construction (maybe that's the other one you already counted). All this just from a quick perusal of the regional supercharger threads.

Well, technically, you are correct. I have no actual knowledge. None of us do. There could be 50 other SC’s under construction out there that none of us know about. Then again, the people on this forum, especially blueshift, have done a remarkable job sniffing those out. Therefore, it is all about relativity. Comparisons, if that suits. We have been investigating and relaying information here for the last 3 years. Suddenly, there is a paucity of information available to us compared to before. Could we all be wrong? Yes. That would be awesome.

I mentioned current SC’s under construction. I did not mention ones that were recently completed. There are always new ones being permitted or opening. Therefore, SC’s such as Buttonwillow, Beatty and the others were not what I was talking about. Nor am I counting Europe. Santa Ana has just been permitted. For that matter, Santa Barbara was permitted 199 days ago. Again, according to supercharge.info, there are only 2 NEW superchargers under construction in the entire US: Napa and Fremont 2. That is a massive decrease from any other time over the last 2 years.

I do think you make an excellent point in that both Harris Ranch and Delaware are undergoing expansions. Expansions to me are just as good as new construction. In fact, if at key locations, could be even better. So, we can count this as 4, instead of 2.

So, in summary, in comparison to what WE have seen and investigated in the past, there seem to be a slow down, with very few new ones popping up. Either our investigative skills have suddenly deteriorated, TM is getting more cleaver at hiding them from us, or there are fewer under construction.

Just checking on the record at supercharge.info, it's clear that there has been a hiatus in the rate of supercharger completion at the beginning of each calendar year, followed by a gradual ramping up toward the end of the year. Though weather might have an influence on this, it seems that there is a conscious annual push to complete as many sites as possible by the end of the calendar year. Although that didn't really happen in 2015, where there was a pretty steady rate all year long.

If we finish 2016 without an increasing rate at some point, that will be soon enough to be concerned...

Looks like there has been a little uptick in upcoming SC activity. There are currently 6 under construction and 20 permits in place (that we know of). That is more consistent with what we have seen in the past. Here's to hoping the slow-down is over and this pace can be maintained for awhile.

Yes, maybe Tesla was holding back at year-end to see how much capital they would raise from the Model 3 reveal, and to see where the customers live who plunked down a deposit.

Now Tesla has nearly $400 million extra in the bank, so Supercharger construction might take off the rest of the year. Adding another 200+ Superchargers globally in the next 12-15 months before the Second Reveal might easily convince people on the fence to see that Supercharger placement is getting to be near ubiquitous. Presto! more deposits!

Reactions: X Fan
Big changes underway. In typical TM fashion, they are behind schedule, but at least moving now: 16 SC's under construction and another 18 permitted!! (yes, that we know of) Their goal is to double the amount of SC's this year (according to multiple different sales reps who were told this at a meeting). I doubt they'll get there by the end of this year, but soon enough!

Just checking on the record at supercharge.info, it's clear that there has been a hiatus in the rate of supercharger completion at the beginning of each calendar year, followed by a gradual ramping up toward the end of the year. Though weather might have an influence on this, it seems that there is a conscious annual push to complete as many sites as possible by the end of the calendar year. Although that didn't really happen in 2015, where there was a pretty steady rate all year long.

If we finish 2016 without an increasing rate at some point, that will be soon enough to be concerned...

There has been no hiatus since the begging that is as flat as the last few months. Just look at the chart on supercharge.info for North America.

Compare 1/1 to 5/22 of last year (52 superchargers) vs same period this year(14).

I know for a fact that a Supercharger is nearing completion in Bend, Oregon. My brother-in-law sent me a photo three days ago. It's located in the Fred Meyer parking lot where 97 rolls into the south side of town and business 97 splits off.

61535 S. Highway 97, Bend, Oregon 97702

It doesn't show up on the Supercharger map as a "coming soon", though, which leads me to believe there must be others under clandestine construction out there.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 68
I know for a fact that a Supercharger is nearing completion in Bend, Oregon. My brother-in-law sent me a photo three days ago. It's located in the Fred Meyer parking lot where 97 rolls into the south side of town and business 97 splits off.

61535 S. Highway 97, Bend, Oregon 97702

It doesn't show up on the Supercharger map as a "coming soon", though, which leads me to believe there must be others under clandestine construction out there.

Please post that picture in the specific thread:
Supercharger - Bend, OR

Many of us here in deep south are hoping every day for the big hole (all of Arkansas, west central AL, western TN) to be filled in. Any intelligence on this from anyone? (I see only 2 US states without SC - MT and AR).
Montana has 6 Superchargers. Currently, there aren't any Superchargers in Alaska, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Hawaii, North Dakota or Nebraska.