Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was not aware of other competitors combining continents, though the record shows I’ve brought up my objections in the past. Yes, there should be three different continental lists and a global list. You must have glossed over where I said I would be willing to drop my Mexican chargers and where I said there were competitors who are unable to go into Canada.
Perhaps we put it to a vote rather than start or continue a pissing contest. It’s rather an unseemly response to my original request for a reasoned discussion. Yes, we know you’re under pressure, but maybe compartmentalize.
Most people here have met me several if not many times, so I think they have a measure of my character. I have no idea who you are. I apologize if we’ve met. I think several people, @DavidB comes to mind, would be bothered by having a first place possibility snatched from reach by a record keeping decision, as I saw him as someone who could easily surpassed me. As it stands, it’s impossible without a trans-Atlantic flight, which I doubt he’d do without his dogs. I realize we all are not environmentalists, but do we really want to be espousing that which is being eschewed as incredibly polluting? Maybe we should institute a sailboat rule. Relax, it’s a joke.
We did meet once at the supercharger stop in Murdo in 2018 and then the Custer rally the following days. I still don't understand. We can sub-divide forever until everyone is leading somewhere, but I'll drop my engagement here. We now have leaderboards by continent. I apologize for the harshness. You did indeed began your post clearly stating you wanted a civil discourse and I clearly violated that. Depending on what is decided, I'll evaluate what changes to make to Tableau.

Yes, there should be three different continental lists and a global list.
Works for me. For starters I think we're going to do a Global, North America, and Everything Else, which is mostly Europe. We can refine in the future.

The new leaderboards are on the enhancement list for Tableau; since only one leaderboard can be on top of the TMC thread we have added an annotation for people who have chargers spanning continents. Under their global total is "a + b" where a is the North American superchargers, and b is all others.

Reactions: Shesmyne2"
@cpa nailed it, in my opinion.

Being the first to ever Supercharge (of the contenders), well before this game/competition/gentleman-and-gentleladies agreement ever started, I’ll throw my hat in the ring.

With a full-time job, scheduling, minimal route linkages, it was an extreme challenge to beat the @Bighorn almost four-ish years ago, @Half Dollar Bill officiated. Had lunch with both at a Mexican joint in Gillette.

@Bighorn was very gracious as a “player in the game”, and even brought his maracas and plugged in my car for my lead. We each held one when we were tied, and then I held both in his hometown of Sheridan, WY. We have pictures. He was over the top proud! that I had taken the title and recognized my feat (I think that was an 18k+ mile tour to the East Coast and back to NorCal). That lasted about three weeks. Wink.

My wife and and I had “just” been taking road trips when routes opened up. Madison WI, my hometown was opened up by Elon as the “first” route. Key West, because we could get there and it was always about getting to Mile 0.

While I think it is awesome that we can SuperCharge on so many Continents, most of us live on one. That one should count.

Regarding Turo and Europe, e.g., my wife had been to Mexico, Canada before I met her, and Italy since. When I take her to London, Scotland (where I spent 1.5 years before I was 4), Paris, Switzerland, etc, I want that to be a memorable trip. It would be nice to be in a Tesla for safety, but the goal is different. It won’t be the “game”, it will be experience / life / memories. Even though we both play this crazy game.

Not trying to change any rules, but I hope a little history helps.
NKYTA

@cpa nailed it, in my opinion.

Being the first to ever Supercharge (of the contenders), well before this game/competition/gentleman-and-gentleladies agreement ever started, I’ll throw my hat in the ring.

With a full-time job, scheduling, minimal route linkages, it was an extreme challenge to beat the @Bighorn almost four-ish years ago, @Half Dollar Bill officiated. Had lunch with both at a Mexican joint in Gillette.

@Bighorn was very gracious as a “player in the game”, and even brought his maracas and plugged in my car for my lead. We each held one when we were tied, and then I held both in his hometown of Sheridan, WY. We have pictures. He was over the top proud! that I had taken the title and recognized my feat (I think that was an 18k+ mile tour to the East Coast and back to NorCal). That lasted about three weeks. Wink.

My wife and and I had “just” been taking road trips when routes opened up. Madison WI, my hometown was opened up by Elon as the “first” route. Key West, because we could get there and it was always about getting to Mile 0.

While I think it is awesome that we can SuperCharge on so many Continents, most of us live on one. That one should count.

Regarding Turo and Europe, e.g., my wife had been to Mexico, Canada before I met her, and Italy since. When I take her to London, Scotland (where I spent 1.5 years before I was 4), Paris, Switzerland, etc, I want that to be a memorable trip. It would be nice to be in a Tesla for safety, but the goal is different. It won’t be the “game”, it will be experience / life / memories. Even though we both play this crazy game.

Not trying to change any rules, but I hope a little history helps.
NKYTA
Thanks. My apologies again. For North America, my vote would be to count USA and Canada. I think Mexico is too risky for us to encourage traveling there. Leave Mexico for those who want extreme adventure. The Trans-Canada highway is too cool and alluring to leave off the list.

For North America, my vote would be to count USA and Canada. I think Mexico is too risky for us to encourage traveling there.
Right now the "a + b" is North America and everything else. We could change it to be US/Canada and everything else.

Some have money.
Some have time.
Some have long range/fast charging cars.
Some have understanding spouses/significant others, some have not-so-understanding spouses/significant others.
Some have all the above; some have none.

I'm not sure how we make it "fair" for all. My wife did question the car thing - suggested we make it both car and driver. If you get a new car, you start over again - and get to experience the fun of the game from the beginning!!

You may have noticed I am a little shy of 400. My plan was to get to 399 on September 30, then spend the month of October getting 301 superchargers to hit 4 centuries in the same month. Needless to say that did not happen - life got in the way.

I have sometimes fantasized about what it'd be like to be near the top of the leaderboard. However if it means having to go through all this angst about how to slice and dice the data to try to make some kind of equity for all, I'd rather stay happy and dumb down in the amateur division. I thought this was supposed to be fun?

Peace,

Bruce.

Sorry this went off the rails a bit and I appreciate the gracious retraction. Forgive and forget. It’s getting a lot easier to do the latter:)
Sure I can go to Europe and probably claim first for both continents individually. It would be regrettable to me for the game to get that skewed. For now, Macy is a 24/7 job because of dementia and the car seems therapeutic. Most of our travels is visiting terminal relatives and the new grand baby. Just got to Midland, so you’ll have to excuse me while I go clear some brush.

I have sometimes fantasized about what it'd be like to be near the top of the leaderboard. However if it means having to go through all this angst about how to slice and dice the data to try to make some kind of equity for all, I'd rather stay happy and dumb down in the amateur division. I thought this was supposed to be fun?

Peace,

Bruce.
Don’t let these machinations be disheartening. The game is fun and for the long timers more about the friendships. My main goal in addressing this at what became a critical juncture was to continue to make the game accessible to all. You get the car and then the world is your oyster. No fuss, no muss and you can do it on the cheap. Mandating passports, car rentals, and $5k credit card bills to stay competitive is going to severely stratify the competition, especially as price sensitive Model 3 owners get more involved. It’s already daunting enough to see how much work goes into getting 300 US superchargers to get on the first page, give or take. Suddenly we’re into four figure territory. There’s been much discussion over the years, but no real intentional implementation or policy development, though the Tableau visualizations have been a superb addition.
What’s that saying about making laws and sausages? :)

Since my name came up I thought I'd just add my 2 cent to the discussion as well.

And @Bredo deserves to be atop his list, not way down the NA one given their 300 fewer superchargers.

First I must point out that I still have 1 competitor ahead of me on the European list (I'm not counting our virtual friend here). And for some time it's been my primary goal to change that fact ;)

The game is fun and for the long timers more about the friendships. My main goal in addressing this at what became a critical juncture was to continue to make the game accessible to all.

I think this sums up my view, so I'm behind @Bighorn in this. It seems to me to be the best way to level the playingfield for a larger group of players. As for myself I will still mostly be watching the global list as it will, for the time, give me the greatest challenge. And thats the beauty of the game, it gives me a great reason to use my car to drive around discovering new places.

So please keep the global list for us that are crazy enough to contemplate multi-continent participation. I'm already extremely exited about the planned highway from Hamburg to Shanghai. Should be finished by the time I'm planning to retire, hehe.

Drive safe everyone, no posting while driving :)

Last edited:
IMG_1623.jpg

"First came the churches,
then came the schools.
Then came the lawyers,
then came the rules."

I go back to my earlier comments that what's missing from this effort right now is game-play and the realization that people play games for different reasons. My grandfather was a cutthroat pinochle player while I was more than happy to be invited to sit at the same table and be part of the action (until I did something to mess up :eek:).

The data is the data, sure, just like the pieces in a game are all the same no matter which box you grab. But the experience different people are going to have from playing that game entirely different. Some play just to spend time with their kids, some play to be social, others play to beat others. No one way is the right way.

The Tableau folks have taken this sport to an entirely new level with their efforts and I deeply appreciate that. The discussion now is how do you wrap that gift into something that can be shared and enjoyed by a myriad of individuals, each with their own agenda. Most game designers will tell you it's not as easy as it looks from the finished product.

P.S. And the only thing I regret about Elon Bear is that he fell into the wrong hands. Someone has a very nice piece of memorabilia.

Hmm, after reading my last message a few times it doesn't seem to be quite clear what I mean.

So in short I think it would help to support a larger base of players if we split the list into continents: US, Europe and Asia

However I would like that a global count was still available although not presented as the "Main" competition.

Since my name came up I thought I'd just add my 2 cent to the discussion as well.

First I must point out that I still have 1 competitor ahead of me on the European list (I'm not counting our virtual friend here). And for some time it's been my primary goal to change that fact ;)

I think this sums up my view, so I'm behind @Bighorn in this. It seems to me to be the best way to level the playingfield for a larger group of players. As for myself I will still mostly be watching the global list as it will, for the time, give me the greatest challenge. And thats the beauty of the game, it gives me a great reason to use my car to drive around discovering new places.

So please keep the global list for us that are crazy enough to contemplate multi-continent participation. I'm already extremely exited about the planned highway from Hamburg to Shanghai. Should be finished by the time I'm planning to retire, hehe.

Drive safe everyone, no posting while driving :)
You stand out as someone who has an extraordinary number of first visits, so I assumed you had to be way up there. Me not knowing is illustrative of both our points I think.

You stand out as someone who has an extraordinary number of first visits, so I assumed you had to be way up there. Me not knowing is illustrative of both our points I think.

On the subject of first visits...my first visit count on the leaderboard is shown as 27. It was pointed out (correctly) that that number is too high, and the formula that computes that needed to be fixed (for me and for other people). It looks like that didn't happen yet? I just used my fingers and toes, and my actual first visit count is somewhere around 15.

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: NKYTA
View attachment 462520

I go back to my earlier comments that what's missing from this effort right now is game-play and the realization that people play games for different reasons. My grandfather was a cutthroat pinochle player while I was more than happy to be invited to sit at the same table and be part of the action (until I did something to mess up :eek:).

The data is the data, sure, just like the pieces in a game are all the same no matter which box you grab. But the experience different people are going to have from playing that game entirely different. Some play just to spend time with their kids, some play to be social, others play to beat others. No one way is the right way.
Half Dollar Bill has summed up my thoughts pretty well. People do this for different reasons and set their own criteria for "success" and what they willing to do to achieve it. Those goals and reasons also change through time as the network expands and as personal situations change. The primary goal for me now is the travel and going to places I would otherwise never go, taking routes I would otherwise never take. I have accepted my own limits in the game, I'm not going to try and worm into a Service Center that has been removed from the NAV (Burbank) or Valet which means I will never clear California even though it's my neighbor state that I visit frequently. I'm certainly not going to drive in Mexico:eek:

As far as the "game" goes I've never had any illusions that I would ever be first or even in the top 5 but top 10 seems within reach although @tes-s and @Thinkje are making that very difficult. So I'm really playing to beat myself and whoever is nearby me in the list and that's where I see Bighorns objection. He's been playing to beat those nearby in the list (albeit occupying top spot most of the time) against people with similar goals and now someone nearby him has flipped the game board and introduced a new facet. That being said, I dont want to take away from the multi-continent visitors, they have visited unique SC locations and should I someday be in the position to do this (highly unlikely) I hope they would somehow be counted.

I dont really have an opinion on what, if anything should be done about this but I'm not a fan of the "+" notation in the leaderboard, it seems to me there should be separate lists for global and by continent. Isn't the leaderboard generated from a sheet? and couldn't the other lists be appended to the bottom of the sheet?

This conflict avoiding, middle of the list, introvert is happy to go along with whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shesmyne2"
@theflyer is working on Tableau to show three different leaderboards. The drafts are out there if you want to take a look.

Leaderboard
North America Leaderboard
Europe/Asia Leaderboard

How is that looking - is that accomplishing the goal?

but I'm not a fan of the "+" notation in the leaderboard, it seems to me there should be separate lists for global and by continent

There are - Tableau is our display method. The spreadsheet is just for data entry and some calculations. The spreadsheet "Leaders" tab is just a replication of what was in the original wiki - with the actual visits omitted. We did add the "firsts" column. I put in the + notation as a way of showing competitors that have visited multiple continents - from the discussion, I thought people would be interested in seeing who was trotting the globe. I can take it off if nobody is interested.

On the subject of first visits...my first visit count on the leaderboard is shown as 27. It was pointed out (correctly) that that number is too high, and the formula that computes that needed to be fixed (for me and for other people). It looks like that didn't happen yet? I just used my fingers and toes, and my actual first visit count is somewhere around 15.

Bruce.
Hi Bruce:
It seems that the wrong column is being picked up in the Leaderboard table for you and possibly some other people. The correct first visits number is in the Calculations tab. I'll take a look at it, or maybe @tes-s can take a look. I'm not sure how that got messed up and what other implications there might be.