Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a postscript:

Games start with rules. Games evolve. Rules change as the game evolves. Sometimes they change because the players "game" the system. Other times they change because the original rules were inferior. They also change for safety and overall fairness.

Read up on the history of baseball's rules. From around 1860-something until the late 1800s, the rules were frequently tweaked. Some were subtle; others were substantial. Other than lowering the mound in 1969 to provide more offense (Gibson's 1968 ERA was a microscopic 1.12), the strike zone, and recent rules to increase player safety (blocking the plate by the catcher and baserunner's slides that are way off the baseline), there have not been that many substantive changes in the rule book since ~1900. But it took them over thirty years! (We won't discuss whether the balls are juiced these days.....)

Ice hockey eliminated the two-line (offsides) pass when a team clears their zone. This increased offense. It also stops play on icing infractions before the puck crosses the goal line to increase player safety.

Football has toughened the penalties, ejections, and suspensions for helmet-to-helmet contact. And the rules committees still tweak penalty yardage and the enforcement spots, seemingly biannually.

In more genteel competition, duplicate bridge tweaked the scoring table in the early '90s, increasing the penalties for doubled undertricks on nonvulnerable contracts after the third undertrick. It also increased the bonus for making a redoubled contract. These changes were brought about by matchpoint players taking advantage of these anomalies in the scoring table. (Gaming the system.)

We have learned from Bighorn's essays that we need to consider safety (Mexico) and fairness (unlimited funds, time, passport).

Our group established a lot of precedent the past few years--precedent that could be argued as arbitrary, perhaps even capricious.

--We only count publicly accessible Superchargers, not restricted ones.
--We do count Superchargers that were temporary like Laguna Seca or that have been closed.
--We count the twinned Superchargers on opposite sides of turnpikes as two locations.
--We agreed that different addresses constitute two locations, even if they are adjacent to each other.
--We concluded that time behind the wheel is the primary determining factor in counting that particular location.

The spirit of this competition is fun and fairness for as many as possible for as long as possible. It is daunting enough to look at the leaderboard with contestants approaching 800. We do not want to discourage anyone from joining the fray and enjoying our good-natured banter.

The rivals will always be rivals regardless of the accounting methods.

Sorry this went off the rails a bit and I appreciate the gracious retraction. Forgive and forget. It’s getting a lot easier to do the latter:)
Sure I can go to Europe and probably claim first for both continents individually. It would be regrettable to me for the game to get that skewed. For now, Macy is a 24/7 job because of dementia and the car seems therapeutic. Most of our travels is visiting terminal relatives and the new grand baby. Just got to Midland, so you’ll have to excuse me while I go clear some brush.
Thank you, Bighorn. I'd love to buy you dinner or a beer sometime.

I was going to stay out of this conversation, but I must say I am quite surprised by the tone it has taken. I have to object to the idea that me taking a Tesla road trip in Europe was somehow "unfair," "unsportsmanlike," or a "charade." I shouldn't have to justify it to anyone, but I've had this reunion trip planned for years and I've always wanted to road trip in Europe. I spent a good portion of my teens and 20s riding trains around Europe and always wanted to drive in Europe some day. So as a Tesla owner, of course I wanted to do it with a Tesla and as a supercharger fanatic, of course I want to check out the superchargers. Regardless of what anyone here thinks, or whatever happens with the leaderboard, it has been and continues to be a great adventure!

I had never heard of any discussions about not counting superchargers on other continents and I certainly never heard Bighorn offer to discount his Mexican superchargers. In fact, there were many times where those superchargers were the only reason I wasn't in first place and I never said a word. I mean, I decided for various reasons that I didn't want to take the risk of making that trip, but he did it, and based on his story, he definitely earned it and of course they should count. I was however very aware all along that there are multiple competitors with superchargers from multiple continents. The first time I heard of the suggestion that superchargers on different continents maybe shouldn't count was the day I was moving into first place on the leaderboard :)

Anyways, I think separate visualizations for each continent is a great idea and competitors should be allowed to prioritize whichever leaderboard they like. Further down the line, state leaderboards could be cool too (easy for me to say as I'm not doing all the Tableau work :)).

It may be a surprise to some, but I honestly don't care a whole lot exactly how the data gets presented to me, other competitors, or random people on the internet. For me, the global number will always be the most important thing, but why would I care what someone else cares about? In any case, I am competing with myself more than anything. I do enjoy the competition, mostly for the camaraderie (although that may be waning!), but just like any bucket list I've chased, it's more of a personal endeavor than anything else. Many people visited all 50 states and all MLB stadiums before I did, but that didn't have any adverse effect on the fun I had in completing those challenges.

As far as all the limitations such as jobs, dogs, spouses, etc. are concerned, I don't even know what to say... I mean everyone has stuff going on in their lives that isn't supercharging related, so obviously any of our ridiculous supercharger trips come with a cost. I guess if the Tableau guys want more work, people could be categorized by whether or not they have jobs, spouses or whatever. It may sound like I'm being facetious here but I am not. Adding more categories doesn't seem like it would be too tough and it may be nice for people to compete against others who are leading similar lifestyles.

So hopefully, this will be the last you guys hear from me on this topic. Like I said, I really didn't want to respond as it really is a no-win situation for me, but after many blows were landed, I unfortunately felt the need to defend myself.

Thanks again for all the Tableau work guys and happy supercharging to all!

Last edited:
I was going to stay out of this conversation, but I must say I am quite surprised by the tone it has taken. I have to object to the idea that me taking a Tesla road trip in Europe was somehow "unfair," "unsportsmanlike," or a "charade." I shouldn't have to justify it to anyone, but I've had this reunion trip planned for years and I've always wanted to road trip in Europe. I spent a good portion of my teens and 20s riding trains around Europe and always wanted to drive in Europe some day. So as a Tesla owner, of course I wanted to do it with a Tesla and as a supercharger fanatic, of course I want to check out the superchargers. Regardless of what anyone here thinks, or whatever happens with the leaderboard, it has been and continues to be a great adventure!

I had never heard of any discussions about not counting superchargers on other continents and I certainly never heard Bighorn offer to discount his Mexican superchargers. In fact, there were many times where those superchargers were the only reason I wasn't in first place and I never said a word. I mean, I decided for various reasons that I didn't want to take the risk of making that trip, but he did it, and based on his story, he definitely earned it and of course they should count. I was however very aware all along that there are multiple competitors with superchargers from multiple continents. The first time I heard of the suggestion that superchargers on different continents maybe shouldn't count was the day I was moving into first place on the leaderboard :)

Anyways, I think separate visualizations for each continent is a great idea and competitors should be allowed to prioritize whichever leaderboard they like. Further down the line, state leaderboards could be cool too (easy for me to say as I'm not doing all the Tableau work :)).

It may be a surprise to some, but I honestly don't care a whole lot exactly how the data gets presented to me, other competitors, or random people on the internet. For me, the global number will always be the most important thing, but why would I care what someone else cares about? In any case, I am competing with myself more than anything. I do enjoy the competition, mostly for the camaraderie (although that may be waning!), but just like any bucket list I've chased, it's more of a personal endeavor than anything else. Many people visited all 50 states and all MLB stadiums before I did, but that didn't have any adverse effect on the fun I had in completing those challenges.

As far as all the limitations such as jobs, dogs, spouses, etc. are concerned, I don't even know what to say... I mean everyone has stuff going on in their lives that isn't supercharging related, so obviously any of our ridiculous supercharger trips come with a cost. I guess if the Tableau guys want more work, people could be categorized by whether or not they have jobs, spouses or whatever. It may sound like I'm being facetious here but I am not. Adding more categories doesn't seem like it would be too tough and it may be nice for people to compete against others who are leading similar lifestyles.

So hopefully, this will be the last you guys hear from me on this topic. Like I said, I really didn't want to respond as it really is a no-win situation for me, but after many blows were landed, I unfortunately felt the need to defend myself.

Thanks again for all the Tableau work guys and happy supercharging to all!
I like where we've landed. For those interested in continents, they can bookmark the leaderboard for that continent and never look anywhere else. For those who want a global view, that is there too. I hope one day to challenge you to a friendly duel at the top of the global board.

I let my emotions hurt this thread and I hope that is not the reason you state that camaraderie might be waning. Regardless, I hope it can be resurrected. Glympse has helped a little but it sure would be nice for us to find additional ways to gather IRL more often than Custer.

Thank you for sharing photos of your European journey. There are some spectacular vistas there that I cannot wait to see with my own eyes.

Hi Bruce:
It seems that the wrong column is being picked up in the Leaderboard table for you and possibly some other people. The correct first visits number is in the Calculations tab. I'll take a look at it, or maybe @tes-s can take a look. I'm not sure how that got messed up and what other implications there might be.

Very strange. Just for Bruce, and just for your "firsts" column. Not sure how that happened, but it is fixed now.

Great, thanks guys!

Bruce.

I am in lowly 32nd place. Hope to break 200 by the end of year (may move up a couple of places). I met most of the top 10 contestants in Custer this year. I know I will never make the top 10. But I still enjoy adding to my count. My vote is to count all superchargers visited no matter the location. I like the current scheme with the total count and the "+" counts.

Would changing Tableau to put North America first, then Europe/Asia, and then Gobal accomplish this?

Yes, I think the new setup is great. I'll see if I can't get a few more participants from our side of the pond.

Regardless of this last change, I'm extemely gratefull for all effort the admins are putting in. Constantly giving us new ways to view our rather crazy competition. Please keep it up folks :)

Well, I take a day off and all sorts of things get decided... I'm glad that @PLUS EV got to say his part and make his feelings known. It felt for a while like some were suggesting he was "doing something wrong" and I'm glad he got to clear the air. Perhaps we've reached a good compromise, but in all honesty I'm still digesting two or three pages worth of posts that I just finished reading. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed by is the speed at which of of this was decided and that we didn't get to hear from @Darren S who usually has an extremely enlightened perspective on these matters. Apparently though, it's time to turn the page...

@theflyer can you please change my Tableau map so that the country of Mexico is no longer on by default? Also, while you're in there...for some time now my map loads up with what looks like Michigan in the center (instead of how it used to be). I'd rather have the full country visible again so that I can see all the way to the tip of Florida and the top of Washington state. Thanks.

I always assumed that Europe was fair game for the competition. Let's face it, having Europe included was the only way anyone was going to have a chance to beat Bighorn.:) With any luck he doesn't have any family there to visit, and since he can't take Macy, he will definitely be handicapped. The cost of getting to Europe for anyone is not much more than the cost of a few Hudson river crossing tolls, a handful of Manhattan Supercharger parking lot fees and the tolls to drive down I-95, and I'm sure there are creative ways to obtain a Tesla without paying exorbitant rental fees. I'm just annoyed that @PLUS EV got there before me!

Let's remember that this is supposed to be a fun competition with no prizes as stake. We can all set our own goals, whether it be just the USA or the whole world, and we now have the various Leaderboards to track whichever you choose. :)

@theflyer can you please change my Tableau map so that the country of Mexico is no longer on by default? Also, while you're in there...for some time now my map loads up with what looks like Michigan in the center (instead of how it used to be). I'd rather have the full country visible again so that I can see all the way to the tip of Florida and the top of Washington state. Thanks.
Done. I also reduced the size of your dots a smidgeon. I can make them bigger or smaller...whatever your preference. IT Geek's map.

Done. I also reduced the size of your dots a smidgeon. I can make them bigger or smaller...whatever your preference.

The dot size is fine...and Mexico is gone...but now the page loads and I see a whole lot of the barren nether regions of Canada and Florida is still cut out of the picture. If you can make it so that Kansas is in the middle that would be my preference. I don't care if I don't see all of Canada... Something like this:

upload_2019-10-5_13-54-51.png

There is some confusion about the Nashville superchargers. I just drove through there last night. There are three open currently.

Dickson (west of Nashville)

Brentwood (that's the service center) The official name is just "Brentwood" when you tap on the pin on the navigation. I would suggest to follow that name in the google sheet.

Nashville. That's the new V3 supercharger that just opened a few days ago. Tesla's website doesn't have it listed, but the car's navigation does. Tesla's website has a 'Nashville" coming soon pin in a different location (further north).

The google sheet has 'Nashville - Brentwood" and 'Nashville SC" listed as separate sites which is not correct. "Brentwood" is the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: Bighorn
I have read just a few of the messages here. For me it's just fun obviously as I'm nowhere near the top of any category. Maybe for the most hours falling asleep at Superchargers? LOL
It was kind of a doable task back in the first years. There were less than 100 when I got my car. As the network grows faster and bigger it almost becomes a full time job speeding back and forth the entire country again and again to catch all new stations. And that's awesome. Back then we had a few major routes covered. Today almost any route is covered in each direction and that's exactly what we wanted and needed. Chargers everywhere so people with EVs can go anywhere. And that's just Tesla. CCS chargers are popping up everywhere as well. In just 6 years we went from a handful to so many that it becomes an extreme task to visit all. That's the part that really makes me happy! We have made it happen! EVs have become mainstream in just a few years!