Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another strange idea for badges in the game:
What about an "Anti-leader" badge? It would be a calculation, which off the top I realize may be difficult in the current environment. But as we said in my previous position, you get what you pay for and I'm just here to throw spaghetti at the wall.
The calc would look at the North American leader, currently Plus EV, and compare his sites visited to all the other NA game participants. Ones that are duplicated aren't counted for the other competitors. What does count are sites that they have visited that the leader hasn't. The competitor with the most unique sites they've visited that the leader hasn't is the anti-leader.
Example: Leader visited A, B, C, D, E
Competitor 1 visited, A, C, E
Competitor 2 visited B, C, X
Count for C1 = 0 and Count for C2 = 1. Competitor 2 is the anti-leader.
Why - Kind of encourages all competitors to get out and grab the new sites that come up since that's most likely what the current leaders don't have.
And it's kind of fun that your score isn't entirely determined by your effort; it'll change when the leaders get out and about again.
But I realize the inherent difficulty in the calculation as the leader may change and the filter needs to be applied to all participants. You could also do it for Europe.
Again, it's just an idea so no agita intended for offering it up.

What about an "Anti-leader" badge? It would be a calculation, which off the top I realize may be difficult in the current environment. But as we said in my previous position, you get what you pay for and I'm just here to throw spaghetti at the wall.
The calc would look at the North American leader, currently Plus EV, and compare his sites visited to all the other NA game participants. Ones that are duplicated aren't counted for the other competitors. What does count are sites that they have visited that the leader hasn't. The competitor with the most unique sites they've visited that the leader hasn't is the anti-leader.
Why - Kind of encourages all competitors to get out and grab the new sites that come up since that's most likely what the current leaders don't have.
And it's kind of fun that your score isn't entirely determined by your effort; it'll change when the leaders get out and about again.
But I realize the inherent difficulty in the calculation as the leader may change and the filter needs to be applied to all participants. You could also do it for Europe.
Right now we are just trying to keep Tableau operational. Only Big Earl can update right now as I'm traveling and have been unable to get it working after doing an update on my laptop.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Without doing the calculations, looking at @PLUS EV 's unvisited map I'm pretty sure it is @Bredo globally and @Bighorn US/Canada. @JSergeant had a shot at US/Canada if he had cleared the northeast before moving to the northwest.

Without doing the calculations, looking at @PLUS EV 's unvisited map I'm pretty sure it is @Bredo globally and @Bighorn US/Canada. @JSergeant had a shot at US/Canada if he had cleared the northeast before moving to the northwest.
I'm confused by your use of unvisited in your comment if you're just trying to identify the leaders or commenting on the logic.
If logic, then you're not comparing the "unvisited" for the leader against everyone else, you're comparing the visited, then looking at the count of what another competitor has visited that the leader hasn't.
And at least according to the badges on the leaderboard, it is Plus for NA and Bredo for Europe.
You could do global, but I'm not sure it makes sense because we don't have many intercontinental competitors.

I'm confused by your use of unvisited in your comment if you're just trying to identify the leaders or commenting on the logic.
If logic, then you're not comparing the "unvisited" for the leader against everyone else, you're comparing the visited, then looking at the count of what another competitor has visited that the leader hasn't.
And at least according to the badges on the leaderboard, it is Plus for NA and Bredo for Europe.
You could do global, but I'm not sure it makes sense because we don't have many intercontinental competitors.
I think he meant that Bighorn has visited the most of my unvisiteds. I haven't looked into it but that definitely seems plausible. It also would not surprise me if it were someone in the northeast like tes-s or TDreamer, because most of my unvisited superchargers are currently in the northeast (as previously stated).

@PLUS EV gets the prize! I edged out @Bighorn with my two "firsts" today. But @Bighorn will easily overtake me any time he wants to with a casual visit to the northeast.

Here is everyone who has been to 10 or more of @PLUS EV 's unvisited. These are global counts - so if I backed out @Bighorn 's 8 in Mexico that would move him down a bit...temporarily. :)

Even though I'm the leader in visiting @PLUS EV 's unvisited in the US/Canada, I've been to less than half of his unvisited - even if we take out Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.

BTW, it was easy to do. I created a filter view with all open superchargers that are "blank" for @PLUS EV. Then I counted the visits for each column (count function), transposed the columns to rows, and sorted.

Bredo
252​
StefanSarzio
173​
S-19910
166​
Elon Bear
161​
simonsmidt
84​
busaman
61​
tes-s
47​
Bighorn
45​
Big Earl
43​
Thinkje
40​
JSergeant
39​
Tdreamer
39​
theflyer
35​
PhillyGal
22​
Camelroel
21​
Half Dollar Bill
20​
benswing
19​
YYZ-IAD
17​
Only Trons
15​
StephenBrown2
13​
smithg13
12​
Monsoon
11​
David99
10​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Consider me the buzz kill or wet blanket.

I do not grasp this zeal for badges. Why are badges so important? And, pardon my naivete, but what are badges, exactly? This competition started by Cottonwood was just a friendly personal quest to grab as many locations as possible. Over the years it has morphed into people jockeying for this, that, or the other. Fine; it is fun to compare ourselves to others in a particular endeavor that can be measured with ease.

With all due respect to our beloved Half Dollar Bill, his caravansary does not even have a Supercharger, so why would we award a badge for visiting a site that is not in the game?

We can divide this set of competitors into any number of smaller subsets. Should PhillyGal get a badge for most visits with a small child in tow? (a big hat tip to you, by the way!) Should badges be awarded for most visits in each calendar month of the year? Or maybe for > X number of consecutive days?

Many of these badges are skewed towards a particular subset of individuals due to age or geography. Anyway, I've said enough for deaf ears to hear.

beloved Half Dollar Bill
Really? That's so kind. My usual descriptors are generally much more unflattering.
I lost ownership of the process when we converted from the wiki to Excel so I'm not trying to put words into anyone's mouth, but I see incremental value in the expansion. It was that same incremental value that drove me to document when people hit different century marks. And I'm sure Cottonwood would never have imagined where the game has morphed to today. But just like there's spin-off versions of the classic game Monopoly, they all play the same even though they're geared to different demographics.
I see that here because we're all still out there charging at different sites. Do people get out there a bit earlier because they can grab a first? Probably. And that behavior change is due to the way the game mechanics have evolved by incorporating a database with a date function. We couldn't have done that in the wiki.
So in that respect, I'm not against the incorporation of new features that take advantage of the underlying game's building blocks. You still have to get out there and make the trips.
Do I need my own badge? I was clear when initially asked that I didn't want any special treatment. But sure, it is kind of neat and if it tickles anyone to visit our fine state then that's the great part.
I think we're in that weird middle ground where the game needs to evolve to an app to make it more functional and attractive to a wider audience. Because the novelty of what superchargers were 8 years ago has worn off and the people buying the cars aren't the early adopters that the road warriors on top of today's leaderboard are. But they can be. And they should be. That's what the car taught us.
I don't think any of today's admins are deaf to feedback. But honestly, if something's easy to do in today's environment, why not do it?
And your feedback inspired me even further - I like the geographic badges idea. Sovereign of the South, Wizard of the West, Mogul of the Midatlantic, King of the Northeast sound like great badges!

Reactions: Big Earl
They're like merit badges - an acknowledgement of a particular set of accomplishments. On Yelp (my preferred review site), there are badges for all kinds of fun things: Yelp Badges | Reno - Yelp
  • Rookie: earned after a few check-ins
  • Pro: earned after 50 check-ins
  • Big Night: check into 7 or more restaurants or bars in one night
  • Globetrotter: check into 3 different international airports
  • Maverick: check into 3 businesses with low ratings (1-2 stars)
  • Soused: check into 4 bars in the same night
  • and a dozen or so more
While not the primary point of the competition, I see badges as a fun little site project to collect or earn.

F0B3E6D7-AE6B-4602-933C-03087CC5C287.jpeg
087B8439-378D-411B-A959-12E3D818DBCA.jpeg

Last edited: