Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? That's so kind. My usual descriptors are generally much more unflattering.
I lost ownership of the process when we converted from the wiki to Excel so I'm not trying to put words into anyone's mouth, but I see incremental value in the expansion. It was that same incremental value that drove me to document when people hit different century marks. And I'm sure Cottonwood would never have imagined where the game has morphed to today. But just like there's spin-off versions of the classic game Monopoly, they all play the same even though they're geared to different demographics.
I see that here because we're all still out there charging at different sites. Do people get out there a bit earlier because they can grab a first? Probably. And that behavior change is due to the way the game mechanics have evolved by incorporating a database with a date function. We couldn't have done that in the wiki.
So in that respect, I'm not against the incorporation of new features that take advantage of the underlying game's building blocks. You still have to get out there and make the trips.
Do I need my own badge? I was clear when initially asked that I didn't want any special treatment. But sure, it is kind of neat and if it tickles anyone to visit our fine state then that's the great part.
I think we're in that weird middle ground where the game needs to evolve to an app to make it more functional and attractive to a wider audience. Because the novelty of what superchargers were 8 years ago has worn off and the people buying the cars aren't the early adopters that the road warriors on top of today's leaderboard are. But they can be. And they should be. That's what the car taught us.
I don't think any of today's admins are deaf to feedback. But honestly, if something's easy to do in today's environment, why not do it?
And your feedback inspired me even further - I like the geographic badges idea. Sovereign of the South, Wizard of the West, Mogul of the Midatlantic, King of the Northeast sound like great badges!
Nice reply, HDB.

I believe that the ordinal rankings are perfectly fine. Cutoffs per hundred are great too. These are easily measured and progress easily made by anyone who merely has to scan a list. When we move away from ordinal achievement, we move into the arbitrary and capricious. That is what concerns me.

I don't think the analogy of Monopoly to this competition works. Monopoly is a board game, and the company wants to sell board games and make money. There is nothing to sell or to capitalize upon with the evolution of designer badges or other artifices to inspire competition. Perhaps it is my generation, or perhaps it is what I learned at my mother's knee, but I do not need any outside incentives to bolster my ego.

Regarding the admins being deaf to feedback: I am certain they read it. But I guess--emphasis on guess--that there are external factors that ultimately determine which way they decide upon things.

By the way, may I suggest that you keep your titles for geography consistent? Your first three are all alliterative, yet the King of the Northeast fails. I'd go with Nabob of the Northeast as a fine example of parallel construction.

hey're like merit badges - an acknowledgement of a particular set of accomplishments. On Yelp (my preferred review site), there are badges for all kinds of fun things: Yelp Badges | Reno - Yelp
  • Rookie: earned after a few check-ins
  • Pro: earned after 50 check-ins
  • Big Night: check into 7 or more restaurants or bars in one night
  • Globetrotter: check into 3 different international airports
  • Maverick: check into 3 businesses with low ratings (1-2 stars)
  • Soused: check into 4 bars in the same night
  • and a dozen or so more
While not the primary point of the competition, I see badges as a fun little site project to collect or earn.
BE,

First, I am not on Yelp, so these finer points are lost upon me. The few times I have sought out comments on Yelp, they appeared to be less than objective--perhaps made by shills or contrarians. So, I ignore it. Second, merit badges are clearly defined before one becomes a Scout, so a Scout can endeavor to attain one or all of them during his or her tenure in the Scouting organizations. To the contrary, we continue to add merit badges ex post facto.

Earning these badges on Yelp is automatic. You are already there, so it means that one only has to "check in" as they stagger down a couple of blocks to taste the nightlife and get a "Soused" badge. With our little game, there is no "automatic." One has to make a concerted effort, perhaps at great cost or inconvenience to achieve. HDB's fine inn is about a five or six day drive one way if I were to seek this out. At least to me, this is rather extreme (nigh on impossible with the way my life has unfolded) when someone who lives in Massachusetts can make it a day trip. Hence, these things appeared skewed to me. I mean, maybe we should have a badge for having lunch at Harris Ranch while Supercharging. Or circumnavigating the seven Bay Area toll bridges in the free directions while bagging at least X number of new spots.

Regardless, this has been an entertaining and somewhat enlightening discussion. :)

Or circumnavigating the seven Bay Area toll bridges in the free directions
Wait, what? You can do that? Hmmm.... No, you can't. There are three bridges that cross the bay below the GG, and two (I guess three) north of it. To cross for free you need to get to the peninsula or the north bay for free, that means going west past Great America to the south or highway 12 near Rio Vista (where I am heading today) to the east, and you can then only return on one (two if you include the Golden Gate) bridge per loop. That's circumnavigations, plural

Ya got me all excited there was a new way to cross the bay.

Regarding the admins being deaf to feedback: I am certain they read it.
Read it. Done. "Leaderboard Classic". No YTD or QTD counts. No states visited. No firsts. No badges (except when leader and century rank). No US/Canada and international counts. No indication of recent activity.

Well, not exactly back to the original. Before the spreadsheet, the wiki leaderboard had all the participant's supercharger visits listed - in whatever format, spelling, naming the person decided. When we put them in the spreadsheet we found many duplicates, miscounts, and other errors - besides taking a long time to scroll through the top leaders (who had a whopping 500 or so visits). The good 'ol days.

Tableau has enough trouble creating maps from our spreadsheet - I'll go out on a limb and say no maps could be created from the wiki. And @Half Dollar Bill - pretty sure your proposed calculation (most visits to the leader's unvisited) would be quite difficult, and therefore would be forever a speculation/wonderment, and never figured out.

1651005599030.png

Last edited:
Wait, what? You can do that? Hmmm.... No, you can't. There are three bridges that cross the bay below the GG, and two (I guess three) north of it. To cross for free you need to get to the peninsula or the north bay for free, that means going west past Great America to the south or highway 12 near Rio Vista (where I am heading today) to the east, and you can then only return on one (two if you include the Golden Gate) bridge per loop. That's circumnavigations, plural

Ya got me all excited there was a new way to cross the bay.
You can drive clockwise through the Bay Area without paying any tolls, but it involves driving around the South Bay (not using a bridge there), then northbound over Golden Gate and eastbound on Highway 37. So the only open water you actually cross is at the Golden Gate.

Nice reply, HDB.

I believe that the ordinal rankings are perfectly fine. Cutoffs per hundred are great too. These are easily measured and progress easily made by anyone who merely has to scan a list. When we move away from ordinal achievement, we move into the arbitrary and capricious. That is what concerns me.

I don't think the analogy of Monopoly to this competition works. Monopoly is a board game, and the company wants to sell board games and make money. There is nothing to sell or to capitalize upon with the evolution of designer badges or other artifices to inspire competition. Perhaps it is my generation, or perhaps it is what I learned at my mother's knee, but I do not need any outside incentives to bolster my ego.

Regarding the admins being deaf to feedback: I am certain they read it. But I guess--emphasis on guess--that there are external factors that ultimately determine which way they decide upon things.

By the way, may I suggest that you keep your titles for geography consistent? Your first three are all alliterative, yet the King of the Northeast fails. I'd go with Nabob of the Northeast as a fine example of parallel construction.

BE,

First, I am not on Yelp, so these finer points are lost upon me. The few times I have sought out comments on Yelp, they appeared to be less than objective--perhaps made by shills or contrarians. So, I ignore it. Second, merit badges are clearly defined before one becomes a Scout, so a Scout can endeavor to attain one or all of them during his or her tenure in the Scouting organizations. To the contrary, we continue to add merit badges ex post facto.

Earning these badges on Yelp is automatic. You are already there, so it means that one only has to "check in" as they stagger down a couple of blocks to taste the nightlife and get a "Soused" badge. With our little game, there is no "automatic." One has to make a concerted effort, perhaps at great cost or inconvenience to achieve. HDB's fine inn is about a five or six day drive one way if I were to seek this out. At least to me, this is rather extreme (nigh on impossible with the way my life has unfolded) when someone who lives in Massachusetts can make it a day trip. Hence, these things appeared skewed to me. I mean, maybe we should have a badge for having lunch at Harris Ranch while Supercharging. Or circumnavigating the seven Bay Area toll bridges in the free directions while bagging at least X number of new spots.

Regardless, this has been an entertaining and somewhat enlightening discussion. :)
Gotta admit I'm a little surprised by the tone of this post. The admins aren't exactly getting paid a lot to cater to your whims :)

I'm not super into the badges myself, but if you don't like them, you can just ignore them. (For the record I do like the YTD and to a lesser extent the QTD numbers as I think they naturally tilt the playing field in favor of new competitors. Also the state count is pretty cool!)

Also, if you want a special badge in California, all you have to do is own and operate a B&B and I'm sure the admins will create a special badge! Buy a property in WA while you're at it please!

What a difference a day makes. @Bighorn is no longer even on the list of "most visits to leader's unvisited". He has dropped to 0, because he IS the US/Canada leader! And surprise, surprise - #2 (@PLUS EV) tops the list of visits to unvisited, with a big lead over #3 @JSergeant. World order has been restored.

PLUS EV
50​
JSergeant
33​
tes-s
26​
Limited
23​
GHammer
22​
Randy Spencer
16​
Tdreamer
15​
Big Earl
11​

How would the group like to handle Ft. Myers? Supercharge.info has it as a charger that opened in 2013, went to "permit" status last year, and then reopened today at the same location, same name, same supercharger-id (unique number identifier), and the original 2013 open date.

We can "re-open" the old one for the game, or we can treat it as a new supercharger.

1651273707198.png

If it's the exact same location, I could see the argument for not counting it as a new one. Otherwise, I think Lone Tree, CO established precedent that new superchargers on the same property but different location count as a new location. At least that's how I remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we counted the Lone Trees as two separate superchargers.

If it's the exact same location, I could see the argument for not counting it as a new one. Otherwise, I think Lone Tree, CO established precedent that new superchargers on the same property but different location count as a new location. At least that's how I remember it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we counted the Lone Trees as two separate superchargers.
Lone tree is kinda fuzzy as a precedent. The original was labelled "temporary", and located in a garage structure. The permanent one is a three minute walk away from that site. And both sites were active for a substantial time - the showroom charged their demo cars there. Eventually it was dismantled and replaced by a set of wall chargers. I think these are the reasons the sites remain distinct in our database.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV

As discussed in the Fort Myers thread, the new Fort Myers is not in the exact same location as the old Fort Myers location. I visited last night and it has definitely moved. Actual location pictured below:

73F8FFCC-503B-4B9B-91D5-8BBC0107D381.jpeg

I’m of the opinion that this should be considered an entirely new location, keeping the old location retired to preserve data integrity.

Speaking of data integrity, what’s listed as “Fort Myers - Dani Drive” on supercharge.info is actually called “Fort Myers, FL” in the car. Not sure how the admins want to handle that, but I firmly believe supercharge.info should match the car navigation, even if Tesla occasionally changes what things are called.

155A92EF-F7A0-453A-9846-0CE55C40EFF0.jpeg

@corywright if you’re interested in aligning supercharge.info names with the car navigation, I’ll gladly volunteer my time to do the data entry. Feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss if you’d like.

Reactions: gnxs
As discussed in the Fort Myers thread, the new Fort Myers is not in the exact same location as the old Fort Myers location. I visited last night and it has definitely moved. Actual location pictured below:

View attachment 799200

I’m of the opinion that this should be considered an entirely new location, keeping the old location retired to preserve data integrity.

Speaking of data integrity, what’s listed as “Fort Myers - Dani Drive” on supercharge.info is actually called “Fort Myers, FL” in the car. Not sure how the admins want to handle that, but I firmly believe supercharge.info should match the car navigation, even if Tesla occasionally changes what things are called.

View attachment 799198

@corywright if you’re interested in aligning supercharge.info names with the car navigation, I’ll gladly volunteer my time to do the data entry. Feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss if you’d like.
I think supercharge.info tries to match Tesla FindUs, which is pulled from Tesla. I don't think there is any way to download the names from the nav. It will be interesting to see what Tesla does with the names when the other Ft. Myers location opens.

1651353812176.png

Yes, it does indeed match Find Us. I’d argue that it would be better to match the car, which is how we identify superchargers when traveling. The naming conventions in the car are consistent, while Find Us is a mess.

Here is another screenshot showing Fort Myers old vs new.

755BD89A-AAFA-42B1-A5F2-79D07CD041B7.jpeg

Yes, it does indeed match Find Us. I’d argue that it would be better to match the car, which is how we identify superchargers when traveling. The naming conventions in the car are consistent, while Find Us is a mess.

Here is another screenshot showing Fort Myers old vs new.

View attachment 799206
You should email Tesla and offer to clean up their Find Us page :)

I also completely understand why supercharge.info uses the names on Find Us, since it’s the best information we have for sites that are coming soon and under construction. However, after a site goes live, Tesla often puts a slightly different name (with more consistent formatting) in the car without updating the name on Find Us.