Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@tes-s
I will work on reimporting soon to get this fixed. It's looking like it's messed up by 8 for everyone. I manually went through yours and fixed the duplicates but soon you will be able to edit that so it can be fixed on the user end not me fixing 200 peoples checkins!
Thanks. I wasn't complaining - just thought it would help you figure out what is wrong with the import.
If your own location isn't shown then your location data isn't allowed on your browser.
My location was showing for me.
I will work on pulling a new import. I think it's off because while importing the sheet was updated.
I'm usually the one adding rows to the spreadsheet for new superchargers, and updating status (permit, construction, open), which could really mess up your import. Other than that most people are putting in visit dates.
Yes stats are coming soon. I want to know what everyone wants to see in there and what visuals i should add into the stats page.
The visual I would really like is a zoomable map of superchargers with my position as the center, and 4 supercharger toggles: Visited (with open status), Unvisited (with open status), Construction, and Permit. Maybe a 5th toggle for Visited with closed status (or a toggle for closed that would apply to both Visited and Unvisited). Default would be Visited and Unvisited on, and Construction and Permit off. Being able to remember the toggle settings by user would be nice too. Some distinction between the different supercharger statuses like supercharge.info does on their maps.

Reactions: theflyer
it takes about a day to move it as the google doc is so big.

You can export the current tab as a CSV and just work on importing that, I have done that with the Competitors, Superchargers, and Visits tabs and it goes pretty quick.

Also wanted to note that my count is also off, but it's behind the sheet: Log was at 280 while in the sheet I was at 310. I was able to add four visits yesterday and it worked pretty well, after figuring out that the marker at the top was also a button to search for superchargers. Could the list of superchargers in the checkin tab be the nearest 3 or 5, with a distance included? Having all the ones sown in the map would also be fine. I'm guessing you've limited it to a zero mile radius for the list.

@theflyer
Fixing Now.
The Location is grabbed when you go to the home screen I will immediately add an option to turn on HUNTING which will put you on the map. If hunting is off your location wont be displayed but still pulled so you can personally see information around you.
I'm still off by two. 877 in your tool. 875 in reality.

Greatly appreciate what you're doing. We've wanted to make this transition for so long.
EDIT: Currently showing zero visits after @Copythat23's update just after 1 p.m. eastern time.

If your own location isn't shown then your location data isn't allowed on your browser.
Hmmm. Still not showing my location. I'm on Android and approved location access. Anyone know how to check?
EDIT: I see it now. It kind of looks like it is in the wrong location until I zoom in.

It can get real time data if you want that. But currently it only pulls (not constantly)when you enter the home screen tab. Your location displayed to others isn't shared by exact location just by ZIP code. So if two people are in the same zip it will show them on top of each other.
Thanks. In the future, maybe we could move towards an app that would allow us to do the real-time hunt more effectively without having to use the invasive Life360. That's for the future though.

The checkin page shows you chargers nearby if you are at the charger it will have a check in tab next to it
View attachment 819464

At the top of the checkin page there is a add nav button. You can click and search any charger to checkin there. I will refine how you search in a few days.
View attachment 819465
Thanks for the tutorial.

Yes stats are coming soon. I want to know what everyone wants to see in there and what visuals i should add into the stats page.
Great! I really like @tes-s' proposal.
The visual I would really like is a zoomable map of superchargers with my position as the center, and 4 supercharger toggles: Visited (with open status), Unvisited (with open status), Construction, and Permit. Maybe a 5th toggle for Visited with closed status (or a toggle for closed that would apply to both Visited and Unvisited). Default would be Visited and Unvisited on, and Construction and Permit off. Being able to remember the toggle settings by user would be nice too. Some distinction between the different supercharger statuses like supercharge.info does on their maps.

Additionally, this is a competition so we need the leaderboard chart. I like how we have Tableau enabled so when you click on a competitor's bar it will take you to their visualization of unvisited superchargers. While I like tes-s' idea, I still think we need the global view of unvisited superchargers because many of us use that view as seed material for planning trips. I know I like to look back at my visited map too as a reminder of all that I've done and to show others who ask.

I'd also like to replay my visits so I can see an animation over time.

Over time I think we should try to replicate or build on the following views from Tableau. They have many thousands of views on Tableau from just the few of us in the game, which indicates their usefulness.
We have a sub-competition for tracking who has the most supercharger's visited in a day and the visualization that goes with it can be found here. If/when you are ready to build this, I can provide exclusion data because a lot of the early is guestimated and thus skews this graphic when a bunch of supercharger visits are just clumped at the end of the month. It took me a long time but I build a list of competitor dates that should be excluded. This isn't a problem going forward, just for historical data.

There are other visualizations but I think these would serve as the core foundation.

I do have all data on superchargers its just not displayed. What is that info you mentioned used for while out hunting?
I do just pull from supercharge.info
Not so much for the hunt itself but the data enables other visualizations that can't be computed from supercharge.info's data alone. Examples that I have in Tableau already and find useful and fun to show the progress of the network.
  • Supercharger View allows filtering by status, including closed. It also allows filtering by the number of stalls and type.
  • Supercharger timeline dashboard allows you to reply the buildout of the network or jump to what the network looked like at any particular date. I currently only allow filtering by version type and the number of stalls but this could have many additional filters as well. For instance, we could filter by last updated date to see which locations are being improved or expanded.
We should add another field that allows us to categorize superchargers as being particularly scenic, which would allow us to filter those to provide seeds for road trips to visit the most scenic locals to charge.
supercharge.info
there will be a way to click that will open up google maps so you can share it to your tesla. Good idea ill get it done.
@Randy Spencer
Great. I typically share the lat/long location to my car.

the stats/rank tab isn't up yet. I wanted to get info on what everyone looks at daily and what is really wanted in regards to the graphs and stats.
See above and the spreadsheet's leaderboard tab that @tes-s maintains.

The players tab is not an exact location it's based off zip code. I didn't want anyone following anyone. It does not run in the background. It only pulls on the Home page when you launch the app. if the app or site is closed it wont run location.
Copy.

I will work on showing a further out view of nearby chargers. Currently right now it is only showing your current state or province.
I had a ton of issues importing such a massive list I'm going to try to import again this week but it takes about a day to move it as the google doc is so big. I'm thinking it's getting messed up because things are added to it when it's importing. You will soon be able to edit and delete checkins so if something is there that shouldn't you can just remove it, or change the checkin time and date.
Copy.

Thanks for the positive input and i will get this looking nice. I started this around 2 weeks ago so i will be changing a lot. so until then use the spreadsheet and test the app. once its dialed in we can see where it goes!
As said above, you are accomplishing something we've wanted to get done for a very long time so a huge thank you. Know that there are a number of us who work to keep the current system functioning and are more than willing to help do so within your system once we make the transition. In particular, I'd recommend you keep @tes-s, @JSergeant, @Big Earl and @Darren S on the shortlist. @tes-s also has admin privileges on supercharge.info and often takes the lead in resolving discrepancies in data, especially around naming.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Darren S and NKYTA
So Everything is completely imported into the web app. But its still showing the wrong count for some of you. I'm importing from the Visits tab on the Superchargers Visited and the most recent is only from the 14th. When does this list get updated?
@tes-s masterminded that tab so he can explain it best/help you figure out what is going on. I just updated Tableau, which uses that tab too. The calcs Tableau runs for visit counts are the same as the leaderboard tab in the spreadsheet.

So Everything is completely imported into the web app. But its still showing the wrong count for some of you. I'm importing from the Visits tab on the Superchargers Visited and the most recent is only from the 14th. When does this list get updated?
We use the tab called "VisitCalc" which is pretty much an outer join of "Superchargers" and "Competitors" - though we don't do the bottom competitors to keep the table under 400,000 rows so Tableau doesn't choke.

About twice a month I update the "Visits" tab from "VisitCalc". I just updated it so it should match now.

You are better off getting the visit data from the "VisitCalc" tab if you can - select where VisitDate is not blank.

Now you know why we are so anxious to move off the spreadsheet.... :)

Reactions: theflyer
We use the tab called "VisitCalc" which is pretty much an outer join of "Superchargers" and "Competitors" - though we don't do the bottom competitors to keep the table under 400,000 rows so Tableau doesn't choke.

About twice a month I update the "Visits" tab from "VisitCalc". I just updated it so it should match now.

You are better off getting the visit data from the "VisitCalc" tab if you can - select where VisitDate is not blank.

Now you know why we are so anxious to move off the spreadsheet.... :)
I got it imported and showing the right numbers. For some reason it wasn't pulling in CLOSED superchargers. But as of right now it's showing everyone updated to today!!

@theflyer the location tracker can be turned off on the home page and the players tab now. Turn on HUNTING when you are out HUNTING. Turing it off will stop displaying your location (by zipcode)

For some reason it wasn't pulling in CLOSED superchargers.
Is it possible it is pulling in closed superchargers that are still in supercharge.info? There are a bunch of closed superchargers that they completely deleted from the database. If the SID in our database is in the 9xxxx is was deleted from supercharge.info. I think there are about a dozen.

We do want to go off the supercharge.info database. I will look into the possibility of adding them back to supercharge.info with a "CLOSED_PERM" status if that is the issue.

Closed superchargers in supercharge.info will have a status of "CLOSED_PERM" and no open date. We check that the visit date is between the open date and closed date - not sure how you would get the open date. Supercharge.info does have version history that might show it.

Edit: there are 11 that are not in supercharge.info any longer. They also sometimes update the status to "CLOSED_TEMP" (open date is undefined), and later change it back to "OPEN" with the original open date.
SID​
Supercharger​
Street Address​
City​
State​
Country​
Stalls
kW​
Add Date​
Open Date​
Closed Date​
90001​
Laguna Seca (closed), CA​
S Perimeter Rd​
Monterey​
CA​
USA​
41201/1/20131/1/20135/24/2019
90002​
Lone Tree (closed), CO​
8401 Park Meadows Center Dr​
Lone Tree​
CO​
USA​
41202/8/20142/26/201411/17/2017
90003​
Aurora (closed), IL​
205 N Broadway​
Aurora​
IL​
USA​
41202/24/20142/24/201411/1/2018
90004​
Bethesda (closed), MD​
7101 Democracy Blvd​
Bethesda​
MD​
USA​
21201/30/20141/30/201411/1/2018
90006​
Syosset (closed), NY​
7 Aeriel Way​
Syosset​
NY​
USA​
41201/18/20141/18/201411/1/2018
90007​
Lyndhurst (SC) (closed), OH​
5180 Mayfield Rd​
Lyndhurst​
OH​
USA​
11205/9/20155/9/20151/21/2018
90009​
Wausau (closed), WI​
1000 S 22nd Ave​
Wausau​
WI​
USA​
412011/24/201611/24/201610/10/2017
90010​
Ghent (closed), Belgium​
Akkerhage 2​
9000 Ghent​
Belgium​
1215011/21/201411/21/201411/1/2018
90012​
Fréjus (closed), France​
1609 Route de Malpasset​
Fréjus​
France​
21207/27/20147/27/20147/2/2016
90015​
Bristol - Sainsbury (closed), UK​
Fox Den Rd​
Bristol​
United Kingdom​
81206/3/20166/3/201611/1/2018
90016​
Ellwangen (closed), Germany​
Max-Eyth-Straße 1, by Maxi Autohof​
Ellwangen​
Germany​
81206/18/20157/16/201511/24/2020

Nothing is easy... :)

Last edited:
I got it imported and showing the right numbers. For some reason it wasn't pulling in CLOSED superchargers. But as of right now it's showing everyone updated to today!!

@theflyer the location tracker can be turned off on the home page and the players tab now. Turn on HUNTING when you are out HUNTING. Turing it off will stop displaying your location (by zipcode)
My count is right, but there seem to be some issues with the list.

I did not charge at the Aurora, IL supercharger that is now closed. It appears in my list two times (no address info) with a visit date of 5/31/2015.
I charged in Bethesda, MD supercharger that is now closed on 6/1/2015. It does not show up in my list.

The dates seem to be a day earlier than in the spreadsheet.

Elwood, NJ name is wrong. The original name in supercharge.info was Hammonton, NJ (which is what shows up in my list) but was updated in supercharge.info and our spreadsheet 5/29/2022 to be Elwood.

Thanks. My count is right. I haven't done a full QC like @tes-s. I did look back through the most recent 30 or so visits and they seem correct.

Thank you for quickly addressing this issue. How about a third option: Off, Zipcode, Precise? When you are actually hunting, it is very useful to be able to see the precise location. Please confirm you are not saving location data in any way.

We do want to go off the supercharge.info database. I will look into the possibility of adding them back to supercharge.info with a "CLOSED_PERM" status if that is the issue.
We should push as much unique data back to supercharge.info as possible.

Ah yes. For Tableau, I just confirmed that I actually pull from the VisitCalc tab, not Visits.

Thank you for quickly addressing this issue. How about a third option: Off, Zipcode, Precise? When you are actually hunting, it is very useful to be able to see the precise location. Please confirm you are not saving location data in any way.
It does not save bread crumb tracking if that is what you are asking. The only location saved is the current location. There is no History of saved data.
do we want exact location while hunting. It's easy to turn on but i thought it would be safer to not have it. We can vote it tho. Do you all currently track each other with a live location app?

It does not save bread crumb tracking if that is what you are asking. The only location saved is the current location. There is no History of saved data.
do we want exact location while hunting. It's easy to turn on but i thought it would be safer to not have it. We can vote it tho. Do you all currently track each other with a live location app?
A subset of us use the Life360 app. We hate it because it is so invasive from a privacy perspective but haven't found anything else that does the trick. For the most part, we only enable location tracking when we are out on the road. Many of us go into our phone's permission settings to disable the app's location permissions when we aren't using it, which is a PITA. We use the tracking for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is to facilitate impromptu meetups.

Your tool will have limited value right now for this particular use case given the need to keep the webpage open, but it could foreshadow more capability down the road.

supercharger hunter custer 2021.jpg

Reactions: Big Earl
A subset of us use the Life360 app. We hate it because it is so invasive from a privacy perspective but haven't found anything else that does the trick. For the most part, we only enable location tracking when we are out on the road. Many of us go into our phone's permission settings to disable the app's location permissions when we aren't using it, which is a PITA. We use the tracking for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is to facilitate impromptu meetups.

Your tool will have limited value right now for this particular use case given the need to keep the webpage open, but it could foreshadow more capability down the road.

View attachment 819886
Yes right now it doesn’t run with it closed but with the web app for Tesla you could have it open on your Tesla browser and it just tracks the cars location! (Coming soon). I will turn on the ability to track in real time and we will see how it goes! I actually thought the life360 comment above was a joke. Currently right now it does have to be open but if I make it an actual app for iOS and play store it could run in the background. Being a web app safari and chrome don’t allow that.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Let's keep it at zipcode for now. We have a small group of friends that use an app - it is not an "official" game app. When it is part of the game app that everyone can use, I think we'll have to think about access to location information. On one hand we wouldn't want some rando to sign up for the game and have access to everyone's location. On the other hand, our "bread crumbs" of where we've been by date is public currently - though not in real time.

Perhaps we need to start thinking about another level of security. Any user could create and control a group, and also grant other users in the group control of the group. Those that control the group admit other members to the group. A user can share their location with any number of groups, including "public" which would be everyone, with their visit data and any maps showing their visits restricted to the group. The only thing that would be public for everyone would be what we currently show on the "Leaderboard" tab. I know that is complicated, and not something we need to do immediately.