Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers visited 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

juliusa

Oct 6, 2013
Connecticut
This is a thread to discuss a data-based representation of the "Most Superchargers Visited" game.
The spreadsheet is Superchargers Visited and the map view is Tableau Public

The TMC thread to post your visits is here: Superchargers Visited

The leaderboard is here: Superchargers Visited
This is the Leaders tab from the spreadsheet published to the web.

If you would like to enter your own supercharger visit data, send PM to @tes-s with the google account email that you would like to have edit permissions. If you have edit permissions, PLEASE only edit YOUR column, and also post your visits to the main thread. If you want to do other calculations and play with the spreadsheet, save a copy to your google drive and use that copy.

We use supercharge.info for our data. Thanks @JSergeant for letting us know that @BlueShift is accepting donations to help support the costs. Please consider offering some support. Keith is creating supercharge.info | Patreon

Spreadsheet Admins: @tes-s @Darren S @theflyer @JSergeant

Prior threads are here:
Superchargers visited 1.0: Most Superchargers Visited
Superchargers visited 2.0: Superchargers Visited

Acknowledgements:
@Cottonwood for getting things started
@Half Dollar Bill for herding cats
@JSergeant for the first spreadsheet and map representations on which 3.0 is built
@Darren S for supercharger naming, keeping everyone honest, and conversions
@theflyer for all the charts and maps in 3.0
@BlueShift for supercharge.info which is the basis for everything

Last edited:
For those of us with less than 200 Visited Superchargers:

How do you suggest we start to create our own so that in the NEAR FUTURE (hopefully) we can upload our data to your spreadsheet when we reach the double century club?

Would it be too much bother if those of us in the Century Club who have plans to move into the Double club either be added to your spreadsheet, or even have our own until we ask you to move us onto the BIG BOYS CLUB?

Thanks all for your great work creating these wonderful tools for the "GAME".

For those of us with less than 200 Visited Superchargers:
Well, here's where it gets interesting. And I say that with having had no contribution to the development of the of the 3.0 table.
Tables let you do all sorts of additional fun things - giving out awards for meeting specified criteria, like having used all the chargers in your home state. I've got a few ideas in my pocket already.
The only problem with a table is that it's just a step above a wiki as far as user friendliness goes. And, the way this is implemented as a Google doc now introduces an administrative element to the maintenance process that was previously carried by either wiki-knowledgable members, myself or @Darren S in the past. So saying that, yes, I believe the long term plan is to open it up to other board members, after a further break in period. I think it's reasonable to start with the big number users first as they've got the most data to test for "break use" cases.
So I'd say stay tuned; we've got some momentum and it'll be interesting to see where it takes us.

Reactions: David99 and Graffi
I think we're at the point where we can open up at least for data entry to everyone in the century club. Anyone with 100+ just PM me with your google account email, and I will add the column so you can enter your data.

Less than 100, keep a spreadsheet that has the country/state/supercharger name/date of visit. When we figure out a way to scale, or you get to 100, it will not be that big a deal to add your data to the master spreadsheet.

Can probably add to some of the other tabs as well, but mapping may take a little time to get worked out. At least the data will be there for when we can scale everything.

Reactions: David99 and Graffi
First off, a big thank you to Tes-S.

Second off, I opened the spreadsheet, and I did not understand it.

Third off, a large green circle ominously entered my screen to eclipse about 30% of the spreadsheet.

Fourth off, what is a Google account email? I doesn't have one; I am not a fan of letting Google and his band of merry men and women prying into my stuff.

Fifth off, another thank you to Tes-S!

Reactions: Graffi
The spreadsheet is a list of superchargers (from supercharge.info, of course - thank you @BlueShift), and then all the way to the right are columns for participants. Anything in the column means they have visited that supercharger - we started with "x" which is what was captured in the wiki, and are now encouraging participants to put in the date or an estimate of the date they visited.

From that data, there are other tabs calculated from the data - see the leaderboard, and graph of visits over time.

What I really like is to see maps. This lets each participant see a map of superchargers they have been to, not been to, and which have permits or are under construction. Tableau Public

You don't need a google account - you should be able to see the spreadsheet without one. To enter data you need a google account so you can get edit permission to your column. It is free, but you pay for it dearly. :) Your choice.

Not sure about the green circly - have not seen that. Maybe it is a google camera spying on you since you don't have a google account. They all (google, amazon, facebook, government) get you one way or another. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Graffi
Now that I'm getting a handle on Tableau, I'm going to do all of the charting there. I hope to build a better landing-page dashboard by the end of the weekend. Eventually, the Tableau dashboard will likely be the first and only location for most people. Only those who want to update their visit list will need to go to the spreadsheet.

I think it will actually be easier to get low-count users in early. Then they can just grow their list natively. In short, I'm all for getting as far down the list. The only criteria I'd go with is that they be active in some way. No use porting data for people that have left the competition.

Finally, I'd echo @tes-s that we are only getting started. There will be much more we can do with this. It will take some additional gardening, but we can open editing to others who have Google Sheet proficiency and limited editing to others who want to play a narrower role.

Google has many powerful features, including forms for submissions and API access to do even cooler things. If we can find someone with a smidgen of coding skills, we could likely eliminate any need to go to the spreadsheet at all.

Reactions: David99
I got the big ugly green circle, too. I use Chrome as my browser, not sure if it is related. It is a green circle with the same icon as is on the "Explore" button on the spreadsheet. I clicked that and it brought up an error message about it not being able to delete(!). Closed the message boxes and no more circle. Closed the spreadsheet and re-opened, and no circle.

Sorry, didn't think to do a screen capture of either the circle or the messages that came up. If I had known they would clear and I couldn't reproduce them...

I got the big ugly green circle, too. I use Chrome as my browser, not sure if it is related. It is a green circle with the same icon as is on the "Explore" button on the spreadsheet.
Definitely not Chrome. I use Chrome and Chrome and Google Sheets are designed to work together.

. I clicked that and it brought up an error message about it not being able to delete(!). Closed the message boxes and no more circle. Closed the spreadsheet and re-opened, and no circle.
I'm thinking the link used for the initial click-through has some extra parameters on it that are only available to someone with edit access. Where in these threads did you click the link to go to the spreadsheet? I'll check that link and get it replaced if needed.

I think it will actually be easier to get low-count users in early. Then they can just grow their list natively. In short, I'm all for getting as far down the list. The only criteria I'd go with is that they be active in some way. No use porting data for people that have left the competition.
I'm going to nominally disagree. I'd like to keep tamman34 in the list because he was an important early adopter and even flat stanley - but I guess we can vote on that. Generally I agree though, not much sense in bring over a bunch of user data that isn't relevant.

Is there a thread for least superchargers visited? I live in mid-Canada so I could count the # of superchargers I've done in 3.5 years on one hand...

So sorry my friend. Sounds like a good reason to plan a road trip! :)

@InternetDude - yes, there is. It is the same thread. Just read it from the bottom up. There is a 6-way tie right now, with the leaders each having 1. :)

I'm with @theflyer ... ROAD TRIP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, @tes-s, wouldn't folks with 0 superchargers visited be ahead of @InternetDude with a grand total of 1 in the game of least visited?

Love the maps @theflyer - Texas, CA, and the Northwest are calling out to me. :)

upload_2018-11-21_20-26-53.png

Definitely not Chrome. I use Chrome and Chrome and Google Sheets are designed to work together.

I'm thinking the link used for the initial click-through has some extra parameters on it that are only available to someone with edit access. Where in these threads did you click the link to go to the spreadsheet? I'll check that link and get it replaced if needed.
I did use that link at the beginning of this thread. Hopefully that was the issue.

I added a new home dashboard, which includes a live leaderboard. The leaderboard is dynamic in that the filters on the right will allow you to see who is the leader when looking by country or by state. The heat map at the bottom is a graphical representation of the number of superchargers by State (only open. Still working on more interactivity. The individual competitor maps are still available in the second dashboard or by individual tab. The dashboard can be found here: Tableau Public

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to change the label format to eliminate the decimal point. What a great catalyst for learning Tableau. What a powerful tool.

leader board.JPG

For the NA Opened Superchargers by Date chart on the Dashboard in post 19 in this thread, the line flagged as USA (current count of 665 sites) might actually be for all of North America. The current count of open sites for USA according to supercharger.info is actually 580. It could also be for just USA, but is including sites that are in permit or construction stage. Either way, they count is way off from what I think it should be.

Edit, looking at the data in the source spreadsheet, it looks like this 665 count is just the sites in the US, but is incorrectly including the sites that are still in permit or construction.