TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers Visited

Discussion in 'Wiki' started by Wiki, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

Do you remember which stall? I'll check it out and call Tesla. It's 10 miles from my house and I drive by it all the time.

2. JSergeant

JSergeant Member

It was the one closest to the restroom building. I didn't notice the number. Here's a photo:

IMG_1934.jpg

There was a Model X charging on the paired charger. I would have called it in, but I didn't really need it and was anxious to get on the road again.

• Informative x 1
  3. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

And you’re going to count it?! ;)

• Funny x 3
  4. Darren S

Darren S Supporting Member

Good thing there isn't a minimum threshold of "20 kW added" or "50 miles added" or something.

5. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

Or “supercharging”!

• Funny x 2
  6. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Texas

Pecos
    Fort Stockton
    Fort Worth-Whitmore Street

I'll be attending two football games here in town tomorrow. Go Eags and of course... Go Seahawks!!

• Like x 3
  7. Barry

Barry Active Member

I thought football season was over. They don't talk about the Broncos any more on the local news...

• Funny x 1
  8. Only Trons

Only Trons Supporting Member

I attended the unofficial ribbon cutting and social event at the Haymarket VA SC today. And charged there too. Please update my total -- now at 182 !

• Like x 3
  9. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

updated

10. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Me, too! It was a great time.

5E55AC4A-F0F8-4550-9D7C-00B3E2FCC9F6.jpeg

11. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

updated

12. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

I was at Springfield today where we met pre-3. Haymarket was a few days ago.

• Like x 1
  13. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

You’re not carrying a passport per chance?:)

• Funny x 2
  14. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Was really hoping to be heading to New Orleans (or possibly back to LA) for another game next week, but alas it was not meant to be. Now I'm left to ponder my next move.

15. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

Probable best to head back to Washington and await the opening of the NEW Seattle supercharger:)

• Funny x 2
  16. Darren S

Darren S Supporting Member

#2956 Darren S, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Altoona, PA! (I believe we are the first ones in the game to visit here)

Made the inaugural visit with @GreenFreaK and a short road trip. 603 for me and 27 for him and our lists have been updated.

The Nav screen showed 6 of 8 in-use but there was nobody here when we arrived.

IMG_20190106_094008-783x587.jpg

• Like x 3
  17. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I'll grant you a reprieve.

After doing some research, the juice doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze in terms of bagging the Mexico superchargers. Admittedly a lot of my research was reading your posts about your experience making the same trip, so if you were purposefully spreading FUD, you did a good job!

While I would be able to dodge the weekend restrictions in CDMX and I'm confident enough in my minimal Spanish ability that I'm sure I wouldn't have much trouble reading road signs, the idea of driving a limited range $100k vehicle with no spare tire through such a region was a little off-putting. Many of the superchargers are now only open 11am-10pm and as far as I can tell there aren't many other charging options. I had planned to attempt to mostly drive during the day anyways, but that type of restriction could easily cause a traffic jam to cascade into a large problem where you arrive too late to the supercharger and then can't make it to your hotel destination, etc. I didn't even get to the point of researching whether or not my insurance works there or if AAA could bail me out with a tow if something went wrong.

Then on top of all that you have the typical difficulties associated with crossing a border, getting a new currency, figuring out the toll road system, etc. And I didn't even mention the possibility of falling victim to a bribe or other crime. So while I wouldn't hesitate to make this drive in a cheap ICE, I decided that attempting it in an expensive, relatively new Model S wasn't for me. I will probably be willing to try Baja/Puerto Penasco if they ever put superchargers in that area. And maybe once my car gets a little older and once they fill in the supercharger network a lot more, I would be willing to try central Mexico.

This leads to the next point. Another big issue is that many of the legs were over 200 miles which leaves little margin for error. I decided early on that I would not attempt Compostela for fear that the return leg would be extremely difficult given the elevation change.

• Informative x 1
  18. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

Lots of little logistical issues you have to get right. You need a special daily insurance for Mexico, and proof thereof, that ran over $40 a day. Baja is exempt I think to some of these provisos. You need a special vehicle permit on the front window which easily could have gotten Darren’s car confiscated for lacking it. There is also a time limited permit for each individual that costs depending on the duration. There’s a hefty deposit on the car that only gets refunded if you have the window permit properly removed on departure. Night driving is a no-no unless you need a place to sleep and you stay on the toll road. Dodging unlit trucks was enough to make me not repeat that approach. Never go off the toll road. Ignore any reroutes though plan to sit in hours long traffic stoppages. Truckers were very nice though. I don’t think I embellished my experience to dissuade anyone and had I not been shaken down, I might have been a wee more positive:)

• Helpful x 1
  19. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

I got flat bedded in Richmond yesterday due to a monster pothole taking out my sidewall. That in Mexico would have been horribly bad in many spots.

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  20. cpa

cpa Active Member

Bighorn, are you now receiving your mail C/O General Delivery at sundry post offices across these United States? ;)

• Funny x 3
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.