TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers Visited

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Wiki, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Phoster

Phoster Member

Actually, all my supercharger visits have been completely solo. I do have a lot of respect though for anyone road tripping with two young boys in the car.

I enjoyed my road trip from Michigan to California last summer for TMC Connect so this year I set a bigger challenge; Key West to Seattle. I am in Reno now after zig-zagging back across California, Nevada and Utah to catch some places I missed last summer like Zion and Yosemite. Plan to drive up to the Gigafactory tomorrow then aim for the Northwest.

2. Owner

Owner Active Member

don't bother with the gigafactory. The security guard at the gate won't let you even take a photo of the gate. He even told me "if you take a photo from where I can see you, I'll have to call it in"...

You can kind of see the gigafactory before the gate but more as a 'spec' in the dust in the distance.

3. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I have been to:
    Hawthorne, San Juan Capistrano, Tejon (Lebec), Harris Ranch, Gilroy, Atascadero, Buelton, Mojave, Lone Pine, Barstow, Kingman, Flagstaff, Holbrook, Gallup, Blanding, and Moab.

JohnnyS

4. Phoster

Phoster Member

Well, Tamman is secure at the top. I updated my list for the new part of my drive home from this vacation. The rest of the trip overlaps my route from last summer. I will probably pick up Country Club Hills which is new, but that will still leave 5 shy of the lead.

5. tamman34

tamman34 S19572, X11164

Wow Phoster you did all this alone, that is really tiring or a lot of time. All my coast to coast trips took about 3-14 days, depends if I had the family or not. At this point no more 3 day drives across the country. I really enjoy taking my time and seeing the country. 2 Thumbs up to you for doing it all alone. Having the family in the car is really fun, my 2 and 4 yrs old boys love it. Tiger the 4 yr old even shows others how to open the door and play music. I hope more people can join the century club, such a great experience. I plan to go to Yosemite next week, but that will only add 2-3 more charges. I want to catch the Boston Redsox in Kansas City in a few wks, who knows, maybe will take the Northern route through Montana and swoop my down to KC, then back to SJ through Northern Utah. That should put me pass 150. Happy Trails, hope we can all meet up some time. Anyone going to the TMC in Santa Clara? I wish it was somewhere more interesting than Santa Clara convention center.

6. Owner

Owner Active Member

Your lucky that your kids really like just driving.
    Report on how easy it is or not to charge at the Awhanee if it is busy or not. I think I'll wait to take the Tesla when 395 opens up with some supercharger over there, otherwise I'll stick to the ICE for Yosemite.

I'm missing TMC this year as I'll be in Yosemite doing the high country camps (won the lottery - the Yosemite one - literally)

I have the same feeling about the Santa Clara Convention center. Everytime I go there it reminds me of many business events I have been to there, even if I haven't worked in a long time.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It's easy to make a trip to Yosemite and not have to worry about getting a charge in Yosemite Valley. My wife and I have found several places to stay just outside the park (in the areas of Hardins Flat, Oakhurst, and Midpines) that have L2 charging. We drive into the park for the day, do a day hike (from the valley floor, out of Tuolumne Meadows, Wawone, wherever) then drive back out to where we are staying and charge up overnight. And now with the Manteca charger it is really easy to arrive in the Yosemite area with plenty of charge remaining.
    Now if you want to stay in Yosemite Valley for several days in a row, that is more challenging and my approach doesn't work.

8. tamman34

tamman34 S19572, X11164

Mountain View, CA

Tesla has managed to use the same cable thickness as your HPWC for the newer SCs, first I seen is in Mountain View, CA.

MVSC_1.JPG MVSC_2.JPG MVSC_3.JPG

9. Owner

Owner Active Member

Got Mtn. View checked off too yesterday - now 86.

these new cables are for two things:
    1. flexibility in cold climates
    2. cooling for future higher voltage!

10. tamman34

tamman34 S19572, X11164

I like to welcome Leafarmer to the Century Club. Is 3 enough to be called a club?

11. evp

evp Nerd

Oh great, now there's a club. Secret handshake? Guess I gotta find five more superchargers somewhere. Texas is tempting, except - I've done Dallas in august. Once is enough. Twice, too much.

12. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Come in September -- perfect weather and maybe (just maybe) Denton will be open, giving you a spare.

13. tamman34

tamman34 S19572, X11164

ahaha, handshake. Come to San Diego and you can visit 5 more SCs there. We be happy to show you around and host you, even though I only moved there not yet. Plan to be settled down by Sept/Oct.

14. Phoster

Phoster Member

I'd say 3 is enough to call it a club.

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a secret handshake.

15. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant, innkeeper

Making a big move up the leader board to 89, representing the east coast. Thought I'd be in the top 5 but looks like others have been busy as well. I may need to crack 100 in order to get to the top 5. But hey, that's something to look forward too :) Write-up coming soon.

16. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

Similar thoughts here, HD Bill: we just went up to 79 and thought that would at least get us in to the top 10, but nope. We'd need 13 more! (Hmm, I see a route that can do that...)

It is good to know so many are getting thorough use of the network! I have still never had any problems getting a charge. Tesla is doing a bang-up job on this network. And it's still largely a secret to the public; though a few know it exists, nobody seems to have any idea how many there are, how fast they are, or that there is no additional cost to use them.

17. Half Dollar Bill

#37 Half Dollar Bill, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Sorry Purplewait, you were between me and the podium.
    I missed the Louisville opening by a few days but there is a bunch of new construction on the east coast that could keep me busy for a while.
    Happy Holidays to all!

18. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Bump!

Added 15 to move from 41 to 56 total.

Goodland, Hays, Salina, Wichita, Perry, Ardmore, Denton, Corsicana, Oklahoma City, Weatherford, Shamrock, Amarillo, Tucumari, Santa Rosa NM, Las Vegas NM

19. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR

I added 34 new ones (I've been busy: Denver-El Centro; Denver-Dallas; Denver-St. Louis-Chicago-Rapid City-Denver) to bring my total up to 56. But I don't know how to move my data row: Cottonwood, can you help?

20. Half Dollar Bill

I got ya :) Not fair asking the owner you're tied with.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.