TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers Visited

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Wiki, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

Yeah, I didn't know that beforehand either, so I just paid them when I was there and then took a nap in their lobby for about a half hour. Granted it was 3AM....so probably a good idea at the time. I've since learned when venturing into dense urban areas to do a little investigating before setting out. That's was certainly helpful in the NYC area where there are 6 valet spots that I managed to get all on the same day.

• Like x 1
  2. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

How unexpected. Tigard was a huge convenience for me — the year before my parents moved into assisted living north of Beaverton, so no more charging at their house on a 10-30 drier outlet. I was having to go all the way south to Woodburn OR to charge on family visits. Anyway, here's a picture of my S-60 at Tigard OR on 17 May 2018 with my father, then age 91, standing next to it (he really likes my car!):
    Dad with Model S at Tigard Supercharger2029sf 5-17-18.jpg

• Like x 12
    • Love x 1
  3. BM3B

BM3B Member

@PLUS EV
    Sorry to hear you ran out just a few miles from the supercharger. I assume you were navigating to the supercharger? I have a few data points that navigating to a supercharger even if you aren’t (going home or to another charger) actually gives you more range during warm weather. My hypothesis is that the car turns off battery cooling which both saves energy and also increases range since warm batteries have more range.

4. patrickho

patrickho Member

Kudos to you PLUS EV... I thought I was cutting it close when I delay charging until 5% left. Anybody who has problem with range anxiety should see you as a therapist. One question, when you know you'll be short in range, have you considered driving to one of the houses/plaza along the road and use their 110V outlet for a few hours while taking a nap in the car? you were short by a few miles anway....

• Funny x 1
  5. DigAdrenaline

DigAdrenaline Member

Hey, cool. I wanna play too.

Is there a way to find all the chargers I’ve visited so far?

6. heartmy3

heartmy3 New Member

"I guess the moral of the story is to be extremely careful when cutting it close when hills are involved and to not rely on downhill regen at very low SOCs. I had previously driven down to 0 or 1 rated mile remaining on many occasions, often speeding up as I got closer to the supercharger and arriving at 0 or 1 on purpose. I will definitely reconsider this strategy! [/QUOTE]

Maybe the moral of the story is not to let your battery run down so low. We live in Bend. Superchargers are few and far between in any direction. The one at The Dalles just went into operation in July. We try not to let our range get below 60 miles, (1) because it shortens the battery life to let it run low, or always charge it to the max, (2) because road and weather conditions can affect your mileage drastically.

We had two close calls last winter, one between Grants Pass and Bend, and one between Baker City and Bend. The distance in each case is about 200 miles max. We were fully charged. It was cold, and at night. So, not only did the cold draw down the battery capacity, but we had the lights and the heater on, which didn't help. We wouldn't have made it except for a destination charger at Sunriver, and one at John Day.

It's one thing to run out of gas in an ICE car and thumb a ride with your 5-gallon can. It's a whole other situation in a Tesla. So, stop doing what you're doing.

• Disagree x 2
  7. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

Your nav system history might be a good start.

• Like x 1
  8. Fonguy

Fonguy Member

An EV should not stop showing rated miles left > 0. That’s just silly.

I took a course in fluid dynamics when I was a sophomore in college. Unfortunately it was so long ago that airplane drag was not yet an issue.

I have made it to 33 superchargers and feel that I am out of my depth here. Driving a Model 3 RWD LR gave me the impression that the car never runs out of energy, according to my bladder anyway.

• Funny x 4
  9. Blucenturion

Blucenturion Member

OMG, that would freak me seriously, out. I got to my cul-de-sac with 2%, my terrifying fear that the car would stop and I'd have to call a tow right in front of God and everybody. Big setback for EV's if that had happened. I made it home.

10. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Yes I was navigating to the supercharger. Ambient temp was in the low 70s and it was a couple hours after sunset.

11. Amp Dup

Amp Dup Member

We need an emoji (like 'Informative', 'Like', 'Funny', etc.) for SCARY!

• Funny x 1
  12. BBEagle

BBEagle Member

Thank you for your detailed narrative on how you lost power. Sometimes I take chances but in my case, I know the locations. Because of your experience, I will make sure I have plenty % miles left to the supercharger when I do not know the territory. Thanks again.

13. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

#6033 PLUS EV, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Thanks for the Monday Morning Quarterbacking. It is greatly appreciated.

The Dalles supercharger opened in August of 2014.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  14. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Of course, I consider all options when cutting it close like this. If you re-read my post, you will see that I wasn't going to come up short according to the Nav. When it went into "panic mode," it said I would arrive with 1% of battery remaining. What screwed me was lack of regen on the downhill slope of a large hill. Apparently you don't get regen when the battery gets super low.

• Like x 1
  15. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Fortunately for me, God doesn't exist and there were very few people on the roads in the Dalles at 11pm on a weeknight.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  16. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Does that actually work on any Tesla any more? I heard the early Teslas kept track of supercharging sessions in the Nav history, but I've been driving Teslas for 3 years and have never seen it in any of the Teslas I've driven (including many loaners).

17. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

It wasn't a fun experience, but contrary to popular belief, it wasn't really any scarier than running out of gas. And only marginally more inconvenient. I was by myself, in no real hurry to get home, and temps were in the 70s. I was also 99.99% certain that if I did run out of juice, I'd at least be on the outskirts of the Dalles. Of course I was also 99+% certain that I would just make it to the supercharger as I have cut it close like this many times in my travel. I will be less confident in the future of course. It would have been a little worse had I run out like 20+ miles away from the supercharger, but that would have required either gross negligence on my part or a serious malfunction of the car. The reason that would have been worse is because there wasn't cell reception in those areas. But still, temps were comfortable and while there wasn't much traffic there were a few cars going by each hour, so it would have been relatively easy to hitch a ride into town.

18. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

33 superchargers is a good start. Go ahead and post your list in this thread!

• Like x 1
  19. Apostle

Apostle Member

I'll share a tip/trick that helped me gain about 10-miles of range in the Colorado mountains, just in case you're ever in this position again. Drive close behind a semi and you may get the extra range to get you to the next Supercharger. Wait for a semi if you have to.

I drove across the U.S. After visiting a service center, I instantly lost 30-miles of range. By the time I got back to my state, I'd lost 50-miles of range. The range just disappeared. Driving through Colorado was stressful based on the surprise of reduced range and the new 80% charging limit. This experience was enough for me and my family to reevaluate both our hope to buy a Tesla semi-truck and our hope to buy a Tesla pickup truck. We canceled a Model 3 order. During the trip, I paid for a new charging port, a new 12-volt battery, 3 window regulators, 5 door regulators for 3 doors while on the trip and new steering rack. I'm up to $6,500 in unexpected repairs during and immediately following the trip. My tires are wearing unevenly and the service center cannot tell me why I keep having to replace $380 tires ($1,900 out the door) rated to 55,000 miles when they are at 15,000 to 30,000 miles.

I've gone from being a 5-star early adopter Tesla evangelist and cheerleader to a 1-star happiness level.

20. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I know about drafting. There were no semis on this route at the hour I was driving. It's also not a very straight route, so drafting wouldn't help as much.

As for the rest of your post, you should consult the lemon law in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.