TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers Visited

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Wiki, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Scargos2

Scargos2 Member

It looks like this is a lesson for all of us.keep it fully charged

2. Scargos2

Scargos2 Member

I have not traveled that much,so need to learn

3. TreborThickweb

Last one for this trip,
    8/19/2019. San Ramon Diablo CA
    What fun!

• Like x 2
  4. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

Nowadays (and I think this has been true for as long as I've owned a Tesla) your charging history is accessible from the list of chargers you get by touching the "lightning bolt" option on the Nav screen. There is no way to edit or erase entries from this list except for a reset to factory defaults...I've complained about it for years to no avail. So on a loaner Tesla, if you charge at home, the next user will know where you live, and you can't do anything about it. (People reading this, please don't try to dissuade me from my paranoia.)

Bruce.

• Informative x 1
  5. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

I like the 4x4 pickup "charging" (or ICEing) in the stall beside yours...

6. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

All the places I navigate to show up on my nav history - including superchargers.
    Everyone starts in the same place.
    Oh - is this the supercharger visited thread?? :)
    updated

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  7. Exscite

Exscite Member

====================
    As PlusEV said: "I guess the moral of the story is to be extremely careful when cutting it close...". Oh yes indeed. My story is not as hair-raising as his, and in fact with a happy ending- yet the moral of the story is identical! (my car is Model 3, mid range).

On a windy day we drove back from AZ to CA. We stopped at the Needles AZ supercharger (not a good one), on the Colorado river- the border between the two states. The idea was to get to Barstow CA with a safety margin of ~25 electrical miles. Driving westward on I-40 my wife stepped on it, driving at 85 m/h.
    At a certain point we've noticed a strange message popping up on the screen, saying something like: "if you want to get to the supercharger- reduce driving speed to 75". And later on, it said reduce to 65 and then to 55. I thought that something is wrong with our model-3. Suddenly it dawned on me that the miles-remaining count is depleting. I realized that the extremely strong desert headwind had been a big factor in the excessive power consumption, and was unaccounted for.
    So at this point, we decided to chance it, and take a local empty desert road which connects I-40 to I-15 (coming from Vegas), crossing rail tracks towards a hole in the wall called Yermo (never hear of it)- see map here.

What a pleasant surprise:
    1. We made it with enough safety margin of charge/miles
    2. The supercharger setup at Yermo is big, clean, convenient and fast
    3. The location is near the ramp onto I-15
    4. And, the Eddie-World food court, store and the toilets, as well as the air-conditioned environment were very soothing to our tense nerves.

The pictures below are:
    Top- The 25 miles left
    Bottom- How to recognize Yermo from I-15 freeway

2019_5_Yermo CA (13) 25 miles left.JPG 2019_5_Yermo CA (2).JPG

• Like x 2
  8. Scargos2

Scargos2 Member

This is a notice to all.
    To slow down the short sellers. If you put a sell order, say $900.00 or so on your Tesla stock. The shorts can not use your shares.
    Every one that has Tesla’s shares should do this
    Pass this on

• Disagree x 2
  9. Scargos2

Scargos2 Member

Florida

10. LeeZ

LeeZ New Member

11. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the Superchargers Visited thread, where we post about our charging sessions in the context of this competition and the adventures they lead us on.

Discussions of the adventures should be brief, as the primary focus is keeping track of where we have charged.

Back on topic? :)

• Like x 1
  12. LeeZ

LeeZ New Member

Sorry, I am obviously new at replying in this forum. Still not sure I’m doing it right. What I can’t figure out is why you didn’t charge a little in Madras. The Dairy Queen would have been a great place to hook up to a Level 2 charger while taking your break and it’s right on the main drag.

13. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Again, thanks for playing Monday Morning Quarterback!!

Obviously, in hindsight I could have done any number of things differently that would have helped me not run out of juice. Stopping at an L2 charger in Madras would have been very low on my list of options. Simply driving more slowly early in the trip would have been easier and more efficient.

But the rather obvious answer to your question, is that I didn’t stop to charge in Madras or anywhere else because I thought I was going to make it to the Dalles supercharger without issue.

14. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

Back to the subject at hand.

Kansas

Olathe

Minnesota

Albert Lea Happy Trails Lane (still not on the Nav)

What a hoot to see driving advice for folks with over 700 supercharger visits. Now that’s a knee slapper:)

1DC2D9D8-3DCD-419E-9467-BB03A931043E.jpeg A46983E8-82CF-4044-8540-200586D04EF1.jpeg

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  15. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

@PLUS EV, sorry to hear about your ride in a tow truck. I had one recently but that was due to a blown tire in Idaho.

One observation/question I have concerns Tesla’s new program to heat the battery as you approach a supercharger. Did you have The Dalles supercharger programmed in your nav? Here’s what happened to me. On my drive from Jackson to Evanston I programmed in the Evanston SC and my nav predicted 16% SoC at my arrival. Great. No worries. As I entered Evanston we decided to pull over at Jody’s Diner for a late breakfast — a mere 3 miles from the SC. My SoC was right at 16% and I was impressed the nav was dead-on after a drive of 191 miles. An hour later we came out of the restaurant and I was shocked to see my SoC at 6%. A loss of 10% sitting in the parking lot! Nothing running: no a/c, no heat, nothing!

Stopping by the next Tesla Service Center the advisor said “Of course! The car was trying to keep the battery hot so it’d be ready for the SC.” If you had The Dalles programmed in you may have lost some range due to this new protocol.

16. TaiwoEgun

TaiwoEgun Member

I’m going to be honest, anytime I know I’m low and I’m about to head to a supercharger to refuel, I don’t take any chances. As soon as dinner was up, I would literally turn on the car and cut off the AC or heat until I made it halfway there and saw a significant increase in the estimated percentage. Like 3-4%. Then as a treat I’d blast it a little just to feel good and turn it back off. Don’t be embarrassed about it. It’s better to be prepared at the beginning of the trip and deal with a little discomfort than to run out and have to wait 40 minutes for a tow. It’s not a terrible thing that you ran out. And it could’ve been worse. Imagine running out when there’s daylight and having to wait for the tow.

This isn’t going to be a problem in about 2 years when the battery tech improves. We’re all guinea pigs right now and these stories are a part of history haha.

17. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

They're just all jealous that they haven't charged at 700+ different Superchargers. :):):)

Bruce.

18. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

updated.

First at Albert Lea...again

upload_2019-8-19_19-59-32.png

• Like x 3
  19. IT Geek

IT Geek Member

My line is... "The car holds more juice than I can."

• Funny x 4
  20. one true morty

Have you heard of PlugShare? In an emergency you could look for someone nearby and get a small charge that could help get to the next supercharger. I just found out about it on here and wish we had known about it sooner, I was pretty stressed being in Provincetown w/ no supercharger nearby. I can't imagine how stressful that was for you. Once when I had my Prius I had forgotten to look at the gas and had to roll down hill 5 miles w/ no gas and got lucky enough to coast into a town gas station w/ the battery totally drained.

• Funny x 3
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.