Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Superchargers Visited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**** NOTE: We have transitioned to a new platform ****
More Info: Supercharging.Life database

This is a friendly contest for Tesla owners to track the number of unique public Superchargers where they have charged

- "Supercharger count" is the number of unique public Superchargers where you have charged (just being there does not count), whether or not you were the person plugging in the vehicle (such as a Valet Parking garage or a Passenger) and whether or not it was your own personal vehicle (such as a rental, a loaner, or a friend's Tesla) as long as you were the one who drove >50% of the distance to reach the charger(s).
- The list of chargers in the supercharging.life database are the ones included in the game. If you think one should be added or removed from the list, let us know.
- Only chargers available to the public without special permission are included in the game.
- Chargers not connected to the grid are not counted.
- Doublet locations like the North/South Supercharger 'pairs' in CT, ME, NH, etc. count as individual locations.
- More than 1 charger at the same address, such as Lenox Square Mall (Atlanta, GA) or Montgomery Mall (Bethesda, MD) count as individual locations when they appear as a separate location on the Tesla Nav screen.
- Inactive competitors will be archived and removed from the leaderboard. Just post an update to be reactivated.

See Supercharging.Life database for info on how to post your own visits to the database (preferred), or post your locations with date visited to this thread and one of the admins will update your list for you. All visits must be posted to this thread - not just entered in supercharging.life. If you are the first in the game to visit a supercharger location, please post to the thread as soon as you can so others know it has been visited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next steps for Tableau. Going to the next level with Tableau would:
  • allow us to connect to a database (there are two databases in work)
  • Instantaneous updates to our data once connected to the database
  • Potentially allow others to edit/update dashboards/visualizations if they wanted
  • Keep the database focused on the data (and data entry) and keep visualizations focused on visualizations
  • Great stability
On the down-side:
  • We have to pay not only for my ability to create the visualizations but also for each "viewer"...in other words, we cannot have public maps.
  • We have to pay for annual licenses even though they quote "monthly" prices (see below)
  • The free trial is only 15 days, which likely isn't enough for me to really get a feel for how well this will work for us, so the first year would be a leap of faith
If we do not do the visualizations this way, we will be dependent on those creating the databases to also do the visualizations. We have no track record of how that would work out.

Questions:
After reviewing the prices below, please let me know the following (feel free to DM me if you prefer a more private convo)
  • Do you think we should proceed to the paid tier?
  • You would have to pay $180/yr to access your map ($15/month) plus some of the $840/year license cost. The going-in idea is that we'd distribute the $840 evenly.
  • A license to edit visualizations is $500/year, would you be interested in adding one of those licenses?
  • In terms of transferring the dollars: Patreon charges 8% of revenue to have pricing tiers. Gofundme is probably worse. How would you prefer to transfer resources? I use Google Pay a lot but would be happy to set up other channels (e.g., Venmo as suggested by @tes-s in an earlier post).
All thoughts welcome

View attachment 672983
The overall cost is higher than I realized it would be. I don't think I could justify paying that much. How feasible is continuing with the Google sheet and free Tableau? If the spreadsheet is getting overwhelmed we could eliminate people who have not been active in over a year.

The overall cost is higher than I realized it would be. I don't think I could justify paying that much. How feasible is continuing with the Google sheet and free Tableau? If the spreadsheet is getting overwhelmed we could eliminate people who have not been active in over a year.
I tend to agree. The hardcore players might be willing to (begrudginly!) cough up the money, but it seems this would make the game a lot less inclusive which would be a huge negative, especially in the long run. I'm also curious what our other reasonable options are.

That is a little pricey for me as well. Other factors include:

Participants range from the super dedicated (you know who you are!) to the casual player who in a good year for him visits six, and the rest of us in between.
We periodically receive word from new people who recently discover this site and list a lot of visits dating back several years.
How will fees be prorated for those newcomers or for those casual participants?
Are fees refundable in event of calamity or other mishap?

I know zero about the mechanics of these things. But a base of $840 plus an additional $500 for something else is to be allocated among how many people? Then there is the $180 a pop fee. We know the casual people will drop out. We don't know how many of the weekend warriors will drop out, or those who have been unable to do a lot of driving of late like Darren S who will just keep their own private scorecard going forward.

So, put me down for a no. :)

Next steps for Tableau. Going to the next level with Tableau would:
  • allow us to connect to a database (there are two databases in work)
  • Instantaneous updates to our data once connected to the database
  • Potentially allow others to edit/update dashboards/visualizations if they wanted
  • Keep the database focused on the data (and data entry) and keep visualizations focused on visualizations
  • Great stability
On the down-side:
  • We have to pay not only for my ability to create the visualizations but also for each "viewer"...in other words, we cannot have public maps.
  • We have to pay for annual licenses even though they quote "monthly" prices (see below)
  • The free trial is only 15 days, which likely isn't enough for me to really get a feel for how well this will work for us, so the first year would be a leap of faith
If we do not do the visualizations this way, we will be dependent on those creating the databases to also do the visualizations. We have no track record of how that would work out.

Questions:
After reviewing the prices below, please let me know the following (feel free to DM me if you prefer a more private convo)
  • Do you think we should proceed to the paid tier?
  • You would have to pay $180/yr to access your map ($15/month) plus some of the $840/year license cost. The going-in idea is that we'd distribute the $840 evenly.
  • A license to edit visualizations is $500/year, would you be interested in adding one of those licenses?
  • In terms of transferring the dollars: Patreon charges 8% of revenue to have pricing tiers. Gofundme is probably worse. How would you prefer to transfer resources? I use Google Pay a lot but would be happy to set up other channels (e.g., Venmo as suggested by @tes-s in an earlier post).
All thoughts welcome

View attachment 672983

General observation - Imagine you're not currently involved in the game and someone approached you to participate. In the discussion, they mention that it'll cost you $400 a year to participate. Heck, even for $200 assuming you skip the map, how likely would you be to join?

I don't think we can forget that the tracker is evolving with the work @Teefal is doing. Yes, it's more DB-orientated currently but eventually, we wind up with a mobile app. Maybe we take a step back and come up with a short-term and long-term plan?

Agreed with many of the sentiments that have already been shared. The cost of entry is prohibitively expensive and will result in lower participation.

I’m only semi-involved in the database discussion (currently demoing one of the two), but it offers a basic up-to-date map of locations for each competitor. In my opinion, that takes some of the pressure off of relying on Tableau for basic trip planning.

If my recollection of our discussions is correct, going to a database forces us to upgrade Tableau in order to get live updates, else we fall back to manual updates - a regression from where we are now. Given the recurring fees associated with upgrading Tableau, I would be fine using the basic map I’m demoing now with periodic manual Tableau updates for richer data visualizations.

Last edited:
I'm still out of practice on this whole getting new Superchargers thing... Had to go over to Muskegon today and decided to make Howe and Rolling Prairie "on the way". Didn't realize till I got to the first one that they were pairs. I could see the other one from the one that I was at and...well...I absolutely had to make the loops to get all four. I think one was about 30 miles to end up back where I started but only on the other side of the highway. Maybe for my next adventure I'll try and do the bare minimum of planning to where I simply zoom in on the map a bit more. Sigh. Spreadsheet updated.

1623639845286.png

2021-06-13:
Loomis, CA
Antioch, CA
Brentwood, CA
Livermore, CA
Pleasanton, CA - Johnson Drive
Dublin, CA - Amador Plaza
Fremont, CA - Pacific Commons Blvd
San Jose, CA - Holger Way
Santa Clara, CA
Scotts Valley, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Sand City, CA
Greenfield, CA
Paso Robles, CA - Golden Hill Road
San Luis Obispo, CA - Los Osos Valley Road
Pismo Beach, CA

I've tallied my 6,911-mile journey to Atlanta (never returning to Truist Park) and Pittsburgh (will definitely return to PNC Park.) Total kWh were 1,654. Wh/mile were 239.

I visited 90 total Superchargers; 84 were new to me while six were return visits. Of the 84 new locations, 27 were just long enough to get the green light flashing before unplugging (plug in and bug out.) Got a couple crazy looks from others!

Total cost paid to Tesla for 1,297 kWh was $321.96. Total cost for 340kWh at destination chargers, one public charger, and a 15/120 wall plug at a hotel was zero.

Cost per mile for electricity was about 4.66¢. An ICE averaging 35MPG equivalent cost would be $1.63/gallon. So even paid Supercharging is easily 60% cheaper than driving conventional vehicles, perhaps more in selected locations.

All in all a fun trip. Meeting our very own Darren S and his fantastic folks was the icing on the cake.

Some observations from my recent trip:

Supercharging utilization is way up from my last trek in June 2019. If I exclude my nocturnal and early diurnal stops in Ohio and Indiana and Colorado, there were only about five locations that were vacant when I arrived and during my session. Many locations were half full or nearly so which was not the case two years ago.

Tesla is starting to break its fee structure into what appears to be 100wH or ten-second increments. Most locations from east Texas into the South and then north into Pennsylvania, then westward across Interstate 70 had the charge increasing by one to three cents every 4-5 seconds or so. When I started out in California, the increase was by the full kWh of 38¢. A few of my plug and bugs registered a few pennies; those charges did not appear on my credit card. The lowest charge was 23¢.

Tesla is adding locations and expanding others at a record pace this year. Yet, it would appear that Tesla cannot keep up with demand and utilization. Memorial Day Weekend experienced heavy utilization in California and Arizona. That is to be expected. Yet, Greenville SC was full on a Sunday morning at 10:30AM, and three to four people were waiting during our session. (We got lucky and grabbed the last open stall.) In addition, Ozona TX was 5/6 full on a Tuesday afternoon; Salina and Hays KS were nearly full to full on a Thursday between 11AM and 2PM. Limon CO had 4/6 in use. The gray pins showing zero vacancy would come and go. Mojave was full the entire time we were there on Saturday at 2:30PM (but Tesla is in process of expanding with at least 4 V3 stalls). It looks like Interstate 70 is ripe for expansion at existing sites or installing new sites between Colorado and Illinois.e

New owners are relying on the trip planning navigation on the touchscreen. I had a nice visit with a new Model Y owner in Salina KS who was returning home to Seattle via CO, WY, MT, and ID. He loved the car but was a tad disappointed in the SC locations that had nothing around (like Salina) to grab a snack or something to drink. I suggested that he plan each day's stops the night before using PlugShare to see if one spot along his route has more amenities than others so he can tweak his charging times. Granted, Kansas is not chock full of opportunities, but at least at Hays there is an Applebee's proximate to the SC for a quick bite or cold beverage and perhaps skip Colby for Goodland.

We wanted to head northwest out of Green River UT to Price then onto SLC via US6. Alas, US6 was closed 10 miles north due to a wildfire. It would seem prudent and practical in this day and age for Tesla to have some sort of notification to us that a highway is temporarily closed. Instead, it showed US6 wide open with no restrictions. This is disappointing to say the least.

In closing, no account of my trip would be compete without mentioning that Tesla Navigation still sucks big time. Period. Full stop.

Reactions: Tdreamer
I suggested that he plan each day's stops the night before using PlugShare to see if one spot along his route has more amenities than others so he can tweak his charging times.
I do one better than that. I just zoom in on the Nav while I'm in AutoPilot on the highway. You can see all the nearby businesses, hours of operation, and can even call them and ask for details or place an order. All while cruising at 80mph :) This is usually how I figure out where I'm going to stay for the night too, although I also take a quick look at Expedia to get an idea about prices.

This kind of thing is 2nd nature to some of us veterans but yeah, I often cringe at how clueless some of the new Tesla drivers are when it comes to this sort of thing. I mean I guess it's good that the Tesla Navigation is apparently good enough to guide clueless people across the country, but it seems bad that so many people are so heavily reliant on it. I basically only use the multi-stop feature in the Nav when I'm trying to get a general idea for how long a long stretch will take. Then I just plot it out stop by stop on my own.

Lastly, I actually like the Colby stop! It has a Starbucks, Qdoba, and a convenience store. That's about as good as it gets in Western Kansas :)

I often cringe at how clueless some of the new Tesla drivers are

Off-topic for this thread but relative to your comment:
I had a new Tesla owner call our inn a couple of days ago asking if our destination chargers were open to the public.
I asked if he was just passing through and informed him that if so the Freeport supercharger was probably a wiser choice.
He indicated that he lived just north of us and was looking for places to charge his new car daily. I told him he should consider putting a 50 amp circuit in his garage for daily usage and he seemed completely unaware that was an option. He also told me that Freeport didn't have superchargers but corrected his statement shortly thereafter. My guess is that he didn't have the filters set correctly on whatever he was looking at.
I would much rather hang around with you early-adopter road warriors than the pack of owners about to hit the road.

I do one better than that. I just zoom in on the Nav while I'm in AutoPilot on the highway. You can see all the nearby businesses, hours of operation, and can even call them and ask for details or place an order. All while cruising at 80mph :) This is usually how I figure out where I'm going to stay for the night too, although I also take a quick look at Expedia to get an idea about prices.

This kind of thing is 2nd nature to some of us veterans but yeah, I often cringe at how clueless some of the new Tesla drivers are when it comes to this sort of thing. I mean I guess it's good that the Tesla Navigation is apparently good enough to guide clueless people across the country, but it seems bad that so many people are so heavily reliant on it. I basically only use the multi-stop feature in the Nav when I'm trying to get a general idea for how long a long stretch will take. Then I just plot it out stop by stop on my own.

Lastly, I actually like the Colby stop! It has a Starbucks, Qdoba, and a convenience store. That's about as good as it gets in Western Kansas :)

Baby steps.