Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Superchargers Visited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**** NOTE: We have transitioned to a new platform ****
More Info: Supercharging.Life database

This is a friendly contest for Tesla owners to track the number of unique public Superchargers where they have charged

- "Supercharger count" is the number of unique public Superchargers where you have charged (just being there does not count), whether or not you were the person plugging in the vehicle (such as a Valet Parking garage or a Passenger) and whether or not it was your own personal vehicle (such as a rental, a loaner, or a friend's Tesla) as long as you were the one who drove >50% of the distance to reach the charger(s).
- The list of chargers in the supercharging.life database are the ones included in the game. If you think one should be added or removed from the list, let us know.
- Only chargers available to the public without special permission are included in the game.
- Chargers not connected to the grid are not counted.
- Doublet locations like the North/South Supercharger 'pairs' in CT, ME, NH, etc. count as individual locations.
- More than 1 charger at the same address, such as Lenox Square Mall (Atlanta, GA) or Montgomery Mall (Bethesda, MD) count as individual locations when they appear as a separate location on the Tesla Nav screen.
- Inactive competitors will be archived and removed from the leaderboard. Just post an update to be reactivated.

See Supercharging.Life database for info on how to post your own visits to the database (preferred), or post your locations with date visited to this thread and one of the admins will update your list for you. All visits must be posted to this thread - not just entered in supercharging.life. If you are the first in the game to visit a supercharger location, please post to the thread as soon as you can so others know it has been visited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game rule clarification now that my wife has started playing. Says only driver >50% gets credit. Starting from where? What's the spirit of the rule?

Examples ... I Drive to SC-A (50 miles), then SC-B (10 miles). She drives back to SC-A (same 10 miles) Do we both get SC-A? Do people double back for dual credit?

Even stranger. My sister lives a few miles from a SC. We filled up multiple times there. If my wife had driven once, does that count?

Another edge case. No actual destination in between. I drive to SC, we drive to a parking lot a mile away, she drives back. Still count?

Extreme edge case (I'm a programmer). Seven people drive a Y to a SC. They each take turns backing up 100 feet and charging to get seven credits. Pretty sure this violates spirit of rule. So where is the line?

Not trying to game the system... just understand. This could end up in code.
I'd say the first two count, and the last two don't. But as you've noticed, it's tough to specifically define the rule. Easy to spot the "spirit of the rule" though :)

Not sure if everyone knows, but not only was there free Supercharging this holiday, but free Sea to Sea Electrify America charging. Every station is free until midnight tonight PT. Not fast like Supercharging, but it doesn't drain resources from our favorite company either and you don't have to use up all the free power just to get to a free charger. I have been free charging in my home town on EA this weekend.
Curious what the purpose of the FREE EA charging is.

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I was somewhat alarmed by Tesla's FREE supercharging stunt. They're constantly putting band-aids on a recurring problem. Just build more superchargers already! It's not as if demand is ever going to go down in the future (okay maybe in the winter, but not over a long period of time).

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I was somewhat alarmed by Tesla's FREE supercharging stunt. They're constantly putting band-aids on a recurring problem.
Congestion pricing has always been controversial. Lots of good arguments on both sides.

Just build more superchargers already! It's not as if demand is ever going to go down in the future (okay maybe in the winter, but not over a long period of time).
Same goes for highways and bridges!! I'm tired of being stuck in traffic on the busiest travel days of the year. Build them to handle peak capacity.

Waffle House is still somewhat regional. I live far north of the Waffle House Line! I think the furthest north I've ever seen one was southern PA.

I used to say the same thing about the Cracker Barrel Line but it looks like they've been expanding northward quite a bit lately. Was surprised to learn that they are in Oregon. Still I am north of the Cracker Barrel Line for now...

They are in 25 states, including Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. Yes, most of their locations are in the South, Midwest, and Appalachia.

But according to the following, they have 1,937 locations. That'll keep one busy for a couple weeks or so.

Contrast with Cracker Barrel. More states; much fewer locations.

Reactions: DavidB
Game rule clarification now that my wife has started playing. Says only driver >50% gets credit. Starting from where? What's the spirit of the rule?

Examples ... I Drive to SC-A (50 miles), then SC-B (10 miles). She drives back to SC-A (same 10 miles) Do we both get SC-A? Do people double back for dual credit?

Even stranger. My sister lives a few miles from a SC. We filled up multiple times there. If my wife had driven once, does that count?

Another edge case. No actual destination in between. I drive to SC, we drive to a parking lot a mile away, she drives back. Still count?

Extreme edge case (I'm a programmer). Seven people drive a Y to a SC. They each take turns backing up 100 feet and charging to get seven credits. Pretty sure this violates spirit of rule. So where is the line?

Echoing other responses - the general rule is that whoever drives the longest distance for a trip to a supercharger gets credit for that leg.
I'm not sure how complicated you're programming gets, but assuming all participants have "an account" in the app, then there's nothing really to stop 4 people in a car, all with accounts, that travel to a supercharger from all claiming credit for that supercharger other than sportsmanship and guilt.
That's especially true given our definition of claiming a "first" for a supercharger which is based on the earliest day charged at a given charger. We have multiple people that charge on the day it opens all claiming a first.

It's a recurring theme in pub trivia questions (at least around here). Furthest north NBA team (RIP Sonics!), furthest north MLB team (this one was better when the Expos were still in Montreal), furthest north state capitol in the lower 48, etc. Even in Seattle, people are fooled! How US maps are presented might have something to do with it. Also the weather! Seattle is actually further north than the northern tip of Maine.
Ok, I confess I had to pull up Google Earth and take a look at that. Huh, you're right, Maine is a lot farther south than I thought.

Another one that sometimes surprises people is that Reno, NV, is well to the west of Los Angeles and San Diego. Another bit of trivia: Baseline Street in Boulder, CO, is located on the 40ºN latitude line, hence the name.

I guess the real question is "Does @Bighorn live north of Toronto, Canada?" (On those rare occasions when he is home, that is.)

Google Earth with Latitude and Longitude Lines.jpg

Last edited:

One other point, this is supposed to be fun. We basically operate on the honor system. Other competitors would eventually figure out a bunch of people are gaming the system. If your tool can codify the process a bit, that's to the good, but we ain't doing this for million-dollar prizes. I'd say anything you can add that helps a competitor document a stop, the better.

Reactions: Shesmyne2"

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I was somewhat alarmed by Tesla's FREE supercharging stunt. They're constantly putting band-aids on a recurring problem. Just build more superchargers already! It's not as if demand is ever going to go down in the future (okay maybe in the winter, but not over a long period of time).

EA’s free charging weekend was a marketing stunt. All of their ads asked people to tag them on social media.

Free Tesla charging was to shift some of the bargain hunters to off-peak hours to lighten the system load for travelers. Perhaps a bit of marketing in there, too.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy and bmah

Your usage of stunt in this sense is pejorative and evokes some sort of underhanded motives with Tesla. You may be right; I dunno. I think Tesla has done their best job to date of building and expanding Supercharger locations so far this year. We've discussed ad nauseam the issues Tesla faces when building out the network.

I think part of the problem is that there are too many rookies out there who have no grasp of Supercharging. They follow blindly the navigation from A to B. They do not manage their time wisely, preferring to take their sweet time grabbing a snack or a beverage and occupying a stall for much longer than necessary. Or, they keep their slider to 80% and never leave until "full." At this point, the rookies are unaware that arriving with 35% SOC at the next Supercharger is not an ideal strategy, both for them and for others. Also, I'd bet you a waffle at Waffle House that very few of the newcomers are aware of sharing at v2 Superchargers, so they plug in wherever and don't notice that they are pulling 64kW while they amble off the the head or to grab a snack.

(I'd be curious to find out how much Tesla has collected in idle fees during Memorial Day and Independence Day weekends. This information could shed some light on their motives.)

The peak electricity usage and popular driving times coincide for all but Bighorn, you, and a few other nocturnal drivers. Perhaps part of Tesla's motivation is to convince people to fill up early in the day and later in the evening and avoid one or two stops from noon to nine PM. This might smooth out availability during afternoons and early evenings.

EA’s free charging weekend was a marketing stunt. All of their ads asked people to tag them on social media.

Free Tesla charging was to shift some of the bargain hunters to off-peak hours to lighten the system load for travelers. Perhaps a bit of marketing in there, too.

For what it's worth, there are a couple of threads in the California forum where people have discussed this subject. There was no mention/complaining/whining around excessive Supercharger congestion over the holiday weekend. Whether that was due to load-shifting or other factors I have no idea.

Bruce.

I agree with @PLUS EV that Tesla will need to continue accelerating build-out, it is hard to argue they haven't been doing that already. It just goes to show how stunningly quickly their production and deliveries are growing. I worry a lot more about EA with them installing so few charge points at most locations. IF other automakers actually get serious, the "open" high-speed charging network is really going to struggle.

While there is almost always marketing and PR stuff in any promotional activity, offering free night-time rates or free rates at less-used infrastructure is pure supply/demand economics. Some will take the opportunity to save a bit of money and, therefore, shift that demand to a time/place that helps balance the network. If you believe in capitalism, it seems hard to argue that such initiatives are a bad thing.

I think part of the problem is that there are too many rookies out there who have no grasp of Supercharging. They follow blindly the navigation from A to B. They do not manage their time wisely, preferring to take their sweet time grabbing a snack or a beverage and occupying a stall for much longer than necessary. Or, they keep their slider to 80% and never leave until "full." At this point, the rookies are unaware that arriving with 35% SOC at the next Supercharger is not an ideal strategy, both for them and for others. Also, I'd bet you a waffle at Waffle House that very few of the newcomers are aware of sharing at v2 Superchargers, so they plug in wherever and don't notice that they are pulling 64kW while they amble off the the head or to grab a snack.
Tesla could do much more on this front to help people charge efficiently. It must just not be high enough on the priority list to devote the limited programming resources to the task.

One other point, this is supposed to be fun. We basically operate on the honor system. Other competitors would eventually figure out a bunch of people are gaming the system. If your tool can codify the process a bit, that's to the good, but we ain't doing this for million-dollar prizes. I'd say anything you can add that helps a competitor document a stop, the better.

Yep. Drove to a new supercharger today with my wife and talked about this. She said why not do it like we do geocaching (we have a "timpaula" combined account) and log any finds either of us make, whether we're together or not. I can see that giving an unfair advantage to couples, though.

She made a good point though ... spouses and kids would be more willing to do crazy zig-zag trips if they could rack up trophies :)

When I told her she wouldn't get credit for the supercharger, her first response was, "But I'm in the car and it's the only reason we went." She doesn't really care, but there was a loss of fun. (I had been reading her posts from this forum earlier, and she wanted to play).

Last edited:
Yep. Drove to a new supercharger today with my wife and talked about this. She said why not do it like we do geocaching (we have a "timpaula" combined account) and log any finds either of us make, whether we're together or not. I can see that giving an unfair advantage to couples, though.

She made a good point though ... spouses and kids would be more willing to do crazy zig-zag trips if they could rack up trophies :)

When I told her she wouldn't get credit for the supercharger, her first response was, "But I'm in the car and it's the only reason we went." She doesn't really care, but there was a loss of fun. (I had been reading her posts from this forum earlier, and she wanted to play).
At some point, you will wind up replicating the trip and then she gets to drive for the credit, just like @NKYTA and @Shesmyne2". If my wife ever got the bug, we'd play as they do.

At some point, you will wind up replicating the trip and then she gets to drive for the credit,
Or you get to drive for the credit. ;)

We have talked about a "couples" category in the past, but have not implemented it. It is just a game for fun, and I would have no problem with a couple or family participating as a single competitor though I think there should be some indication that the competitor is a couple.

It is rare for a couple to participate in the game - I can only think of three couples off hand that travel together a lot while collecting superchargers, and only the couple mentioned where both are competitors in the game. Most competitors' spouses/significant others think we're nuts, and won't put up with (knowingly) detouring to get a supercharger. So if a couple thinks it would be fun to participate as a couple because that is how they would enjoy the game, I think we should see if we can find a way to allow it.

I also think many competitors simply record the superchargers they have been to, without making a lot of detours to go to new ones. I started out that way, back when my spouse thought I was sane.

Just out of curiosity, I pulled up Tableau and plotted new superchargers with status "open" by year to see what the trend looks like. Caveat that this only data in our spreadsheet, which is not global. Halfway through the year and we're already at 232 openings in 2021 so we could see almost 500 new locations in 2021 alone. This also doesn't visualize the increasing charging speeds and increases in number of stalls per location.

1625622459020.png

It is just a game for fun, and I would have no problem with a couple or family participating as a single competitor though I think there should be some indication that the competitor is a couple.
No objection to a couples and/or family competitor category. I'd love to see little Logan able to put that he's visited the most superchargers in the country with @PhillyGal and Guy on his college app!
I'd be totally cool with couples and families collecting superchargers together. While I think it would be appreciated to be able to distinguish group efforts from individual efforts, I don't particularly feel that is essential. If this game helps get families and couples out on the road experiencing this beautiful world, then I say that is great.

I'd be totally cool with couples and families collecting superchargers together, provided they are distinguished as a group effort, not an individual.

Perhaps we should add other categories, such as "my family thinks 'this competition is dumb and I'm insane' ", but I suspect most of us fall in this category.

7/6/2021
Kelso, WA
Tumwater, WA
Forks, WA
Lacey, WA
Federal Way, WA

Spreadsheet updated.