Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers - West Des Moines, IA

jimmy_d

Deep Learning Dork
Jan 26, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Despite the projection map, it looks like the I-80 route from Denver back to Iowa won't be completed this year. Looks like another Christmas of driving home without AutoPilot :(

Am doing that drive in about 5 weeks - was planning to go through Kansas City. It's a bit out of the way but it seems much faster than going the whole way without SCs.

ACVolt

Feb 12, 2015
Greenwood Village, CO
Am doing that drive in about 5 weeks - was planning to go through Kansas City. It's a bit out of the way but it seems much faster than going the whole way without SCs.

I've made 2 trips from Denver to just west of Cedar Rapids. I take I-70 to Topeka then go NE to Council Bluffs then take I-80 to Des Moines. Takes me about 16 hours (charging included, no overnight stops). Autopilot loves I-70.

Reactions: Tree95

jimmy_d

Deep Learning Dork
Jan 26, 2016
San Francisco, CA
I've made 2 trips from Denver to just west of Cedar Rapids. I take I-70 to Topeka then go NE to Council Bluffs then take I-80 to Des Moines. Takes me about 16 hours (charging included, no overnight stops). Autopilot loves I-70.

That's the route I was thinking of taking, though I'll stop at Des Moines. Man, you must be right at the edge when you get to Cedar Rapids. evtripplanner puts that 284RM away from the Cedar Bluffs charger.

ACVolt

Feb 12, 2015
Greenwood Village, CO
That's the route I was thinking of taking, though I'll stop at Des Moines. Man, you must be right at the edge when you get to Cedar Rapids. evtripplanner puts that 284RM away from the Cedar Bluffs charger.

I actually have family about 45 miles west of Cedar Rapids. Usually have about 20 or 30 miles of range left after charging to 100% in Council Bluffs. Don't think I could made it in the winter comfortably, but the Des Moines charger will make it an easy trip.

DDarrow

Oct 10, 2014
Iowa
Just drove through. No transformer or meter yet, but for the first time in weeks there was some activity today. Appears they did some prep in anticipation of the transformer arriving as the wood box was not there earlier. Hopefully soon!

Attachments

• IMG_3258.JPG
    IMG_3258.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: B Lo and crmatson

Bluebullet

Oct 2, 2016
Iowa
Could really use a charge today. As it is I'll barely make it home. Sadly I highly doubt it'll be ready so I'll have to go nice and slow on the way home with no a/c. I just hope there is no headwind.

GotOne

Dec 2, 2015
Marion, IA
Yeah, I'm hoping it will open by next Tue, 11 Oct... doubtful though. May have to spend another night at that Jordan Creek Holiday Inn destination charging overnight so I can make Independence, MO to Marion, IA.

Bluebullet

Oct 2, 2016
Iowa
Got back from my trip with 10 miles to spare. I couldn't use the AC/heater and had to drive real slow to make it back home. Nothing makes you appreciate the supercharger network like not having access to it when you need it.

Thanks for the updates DDarrow

DDarrow

Oct 10, 2014
Iowa
Just drove by. No change to report. Still a large hole near the curb that has yet to be filled in. I'm guessing that they may be waiting on some final inspection of those connections. Sure is getting frustrating.

keithhammer

Mar 3, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just drove by. No change to report. Still a large hole near the curb that has yet to be filled in. I'm guessing that they may be waiting on some final inspection of those connections. Sure is getting frustrating.
No kidding! Totally first world issue, but man, come on Tesla! I really want to use it this week for two over-and-backs for soccer games. I certainly wont be holding my breath... Thanks for checking DDarrow...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC