Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging 34kw at 60% to 90% in Model 3 LR P, 8 degrees c

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found I've been Supercharging on way home when its late a night 12pm. I start about 50-60% finish when its 85-93% Its Model 3 LR P, 4,500 miles, I've mostly used my free supercharging, and a little on the fast chargers at the gym. Is 34kw normal, Am i being throttled because I mostly use superchargers. Also generally only getting 2.5 miles a KW. Sometimes I have managed to get to around 300w per mile if I turn heater off. But is been 5-13degrees c here since I bought at end of September and I prefer to be around 20-21c when driving.

More curious as it wont cost me anything until my free supercharging runs out. Roll on spring and warmer days, when hopefully i will improve.

There are a lot of variables and factors at play, so it’s hard to say.
However, there isn’t any proof I’m aware of, that supports any model 3’s getting throttled back due to frequent supercharge use.
The one video from Bjorn was interesting, but inconclusive.
Starting at 50-60% will always give you low charging rates. Especially if cold.
It sounds like that’s the main reason for slower speeds, not a throttle back.

As everyone else said, battery is cold and not driving long enough for it to heat up. Also, make sure you select the supercharger AS the destination so the car starts it’s Pre-conditioning procedure to warm the battery up so it can charge faster. But you MUST select the charger as the destination or else it won’t do it.

if the battery is fully in-temperature, AND there is no demand on the supercharging lot (i.e. most bays are not occupied), i usually see ~100kW at 50%, tapering down to 50kW at 70% or so. At 80% I wouldn't be surprised if charging power drops beyond that.

....Also generally only getting 2.5 miles a KW Sometimes I have managed to get to around 300w per mile.....
Quick info: kW is a measurement of power like Horse Power. You need to use kWh or 300Wh per mile. This is a measurement of quantity like gallon or liter. So if charging at 34kW in 30 minutes you will get 17kWh. Of course this is not accounting for variables like loss.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC