Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging 48A vs something like Volta at 36A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decipher if Supercharging at the standard 48A charge my 2018 75D is worse than charging somewhere like Volta which is 36A I believe and level 2.

Am I degrading the battery with the constant supercharger speed even though I only have a 48A setting?

My mother has a Model 3 and they have a wall charger at their home pushing 48A, is this the same as the supercharger as well, or is SC still worse to use for degradation purposes?

thanks!

Your terminology is off just a tad; Supercharging refers to the Tesla long distance charging system. I think you are talking about just the regular process of charging the car. I think the general consensus is that lower amperage levels like 48A vs 30A vs whatever is basically immaterial to battery health.

If you really are using the actual Supercharger pedestals for regular charging, this does have a minor to moderately negative impact on overall battery health versus lower rates.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You’re confusing a whole lot of terms and concepts.

Supercharging, or L3 / fast DC charging, has
Nothing to do with the onboard 48A charger on your car. That charger is bypassed when supercharging.

I think your actual question is does constant supercharging degrade the battery more quickly. The answer to that is “likely yes”, although the impact over the life of the battery may not be enough to care.

Tesla may also slow down the max supercharging rate of your car, to protect the battery, after a high number of supercharging cycles.