Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging a Used Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m buying a (practically new) used Model 3 this week, it’s over 300mi from where I live and I figured it would make for a great first trip with it - however, I’m wondering about charging stops and whether or not I’ll be able to use the supercharger network? My understanding is that when buying used it can take time to associate the vehicle with your account and app and that this is a necessary step in order to charge the vehicle at a Tesla supercharger station. Any insight you can provide will be greatly helpful!

There is a thread here somewhere which covered this exact situation. From memory, I believe it involved an arrangement with the previous owner to setup their account with a pre-paid credit card to cover a set amount of Supercharging. I'll see if I can dig it up.

edit: I think this is the one: Selling our M3, need advice [on any gotchas regarding vehicle transfer]

Last edited:
So I’m buying a (practically new) used Model 3 this week, it’s over 300mi from where I live and I figured it would make for a great first trip with it - however, I’m wondering about charging stops and whether or not I’ll be able to use the supercharger network? My understanding is that when buying used it can take time to associate the vehicle with your account and app and that this is a necessary step in order to charge the vehicle at a Tesla supercharger station. Any insight you can provide will be greatly helpful!
I would create your Tesla account early and add your credit card to it. Then when you get the car and add it to your account you should be all set.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The best thing is to have them go into their account and transfer the car to your account. Then you can put your credit card in and be all set. (And you will have app access immediately.)
Do you mean transfer the ownership? I thought this was the part that can take a while since Tesla has to validate the transfer? The previous post linked above mentioned having them add my account as a driver, which gives me access to the car, then wait for me to get it home and ask them to initiate the transfer of ownership (which seems like I can initiate on my end as well). Let me know if I got it right! I'm fortunate to have a very friendly and collaborative seller so we're open to different ways to make it work, just wanting to ensure I don't get "stranded" at a supercharger without the ability to charge.

If the car was originally delivered in 2017 or later, then free supercharging does not come with the used car. If you buy a used Tesla from Tesla today, free Supercharging does not come with the car unless Tesla says it does, and as best I know, none of them do. On some older Tesla cars Supercharging was an option and not all of them have it.

If the car had unlimited Supercharging when it was sold, Tesla never regained ownership of the car, it was delivered prior to 2017, the car was not salvaged, and you are buying the car in a private sale, then free Supercharging for life should come with the car and be transferable. Even then I would double check with Tesla.
Thanks, but it's a 2021, brand new practically

i just did this , don’t listen to any of the comments and guesses above. There is a lag to transfer ownership. What I did was added my CC to the original account so that I can super charge. Original owner gave me access to his account. I was able to buy the car 500 miles away , drive it home , complete the registration locally. Once that was done I initiated the transfer to my account. Once I was able to see the car on my account , I initiated removal on the original account along with my CC and notified the seller it was done.

doing it this way allowed access to the super charger the whole time.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
i just did this , don’t listen to any of the comments and guesses above. There is a lag to transfer ownership. What I did was added my CC to the original account so that I can super charge. Original owner gave me access to his account. I was able to buy the car 500 miles away , drive it home , complete the registration locally. Once that was done I initiated the transfer to my account. Once I was able to see the car on my account , I initiated removal on the original account along with my CC and notified the seller it was done.

doing it this way allowed access to the super charger the whole time.
THIS! And thank you! I picked up the car yesterday and this is exactly what the owner and I thought would be best...MAYBE there wouldn't have been an issue or much of a lag (we did the transfer of ownership this morning and it took 15min to register in my account and be removed from his), but wasn't worth the risk with a 350mi drive back home!

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
No problem the key lag is Tesla wanted proof of registration uploaded, and even if they had it, they said it can take up to 72 hours to transfer, so we couldn’t take that chance, since during the transfer process , you are not allowed to SC. When I sold my X it took them 3 days to transfer to the new owner. So when I bought my 3 500 miles away , there was no way we would chance that lag.