Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging and 60 kWh Model S Orders - Message from George B

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all great for signed reservation S60 holders, but it still fails quite a few of us that are reservation holders based upon the website saying supercharging is included for S60 but were not given the opportunity to finalize the order. I am quite disappointed. Had I been given the oportunity to be a signed S60 holder, I would be in this group. However due to the order backlog, I am not.

I am stretching is quite a bit to be in a position to order an S60, and in June I got on the reservation list. Then Canadian pricing came out and my cost went up 6.1% (through no fault of Tesla) and we were forced (by Tesla) to pay a bit more for a seat upgrade. That hurt and made me really consider going to an S40, but I figured I'll stick with it in order to obtain supercharging and a bit more range for the "once in a blue moon" long drive - since the website said it was included. Now, since us Canadian S60 reservation holders are behind many others, and there is no way any of us could have had signed documents let alone finalized the order, we get nailed for another cost. I am seriously wondering if this is the straw that breaks the camels back for me...

George, I know you are trying to do your best here & run a profitable business, but if you are going to grandfather additional costs, you should grandfather all reservation holders prior to the date last week when you changed the documentation online. Had Tesla not had so much of a backlog, I wouldn't be affected by this snaffu. Good for Tesla, bad for a bunch of us....

However you now get the charges themselves free, for lifetime, something you were not promised or encouraged to expect, in the short time frame within which the website said something else than "TBD" about the super-charging Hardware/Software for the 60 kWh battery.

Well we heard from someone (vfx?) that the current "rocket-ship" design is not the original "alien" design which Elon was talking about. I'm curious what it looked like.

Not me. Though of course they went though dozens of designs. I'm actually cool with the current shape. As a big fan of rocket ships, it's all I see. "Sometimes a charge is just a charge."

il_570xN.125874765.jpg

This is all great for signed reservation S60 holders, but it still fails quite a few of us that are reservation holders based upon the website saying supercharging is included for S60 but were not given the opportunity to finalize the order. I am quite disappointed. Had I been given the oportunity to be a signed S60 holder, I would be in this group. However due to the order backlog, I am not.

I am stretching is quite a bit to be in a position to order an S60, and in June I got on the reservation list. Then Canadian pricing came out and my cost went up 6.1% (through no fault of Tesla) and we were forced (by Tesla) to pay a bit more for a seat upgrade. That hurt and made me really consider going to an S40, but I figured I'll stick with it in order to obtain supercharging and a bit more range for the "once in a blue moon" long drive - since the website said it was included. Now, since us Canadian S60 reservation holders are behind many others, and there is no way any of us could have had signed documents let alone finalized the order, we get nailed for another cost. I am seriously wondering if this is the straw that breaks the camels back for me...

George, I know you are trying to do your best here & run a profitable business, but if you are going to grandfather additional costs, you should grandfather all reservation holders prior to the date last week when you changed the documentation online. Had Tesla not had so much of a backlog, I wouldn't be affected by this snaffu. Good for Tesla, bad for a bunch of us....

You still have the opportunity to change your configuration to make it more affordable or get your reservation money back. I see no reason at all that you deserve the same treatment as those that locked in without this information.

You still have the opportunity to change your configuration to make it more affordable or get your reservation money back. I see no reason at all that you deserve the same treatment as those that locked in without this information.

Yes.

As disappointing as it is to me and others who will have to upgrade to the 85 kWh or pay additional fees as 60 kWh buyers, it really is fair. This is something Tesla should have done (and did) to make it right with current contractually obligated buyers.

While it may have been misleading to advertise one thing and then do another, everyone who hasn't signed a MVPA can back out and get his refund, downgrade the battery, lose an option or some combination of the prior to make ends meet.

With that thinking, maybe they should grandfather everyone back to when it said TBD instead? Tesla offered an (unneeded imho) olive branch to appease those who got caught up in the site changes. Lets not ruin it with a bunch of "what about me's".

I'm thinking they should grandfather all of us that were told 2012 for Model S delivery 3 1/2 years ago into a free Performance upgrade ! <j>

I second this motion!

Seriously, even as an 85kWh guy, this kind of response from Tesla makes me feel very comfortable in having plunked down a large sum for a car I will use for interstate travel, on a mere promise of a Supercharger network. Tesla is a company that is doing the right thing, and strives to do it the best they can, for the good of the customers. Thanks GB!

Only 4 pages? How come we can fill 25 pages of *complaining* when only a few dozen can say thank you?

Thanks George/Tesla for making the situation right. Huge thumbs up! (and this doesn't even effect me since I'm getting the perf)

This is what I thought. A second note of gratitude to George and team, for analysing the timeline and communication, determining while they were "mostly right", saw how their message was not entirely clear and acted in the best possible way for their customers.

Definitely the correct decision to take care of folks who locked in without having this information to make an informed decision. At least one of them might have wanted to spend $9k more to upgrade to 85kWh if they had had this information. This decision should take ALL the sting out of it.

Going forward, prospective purchasers will need to decide. IMHO, the decision is between a 40kWh around-town luxury car and an 85kWh road-trippable car. $2k is too much for the "just-in-case" or the "resale value" scenarios.

We all know the adage about making an "assumption"; and in this case, if there is any fault to find in Tesla's pricing announcement of the SC, it is that they assumed the reservation holders knew there would be a SC fee involved. My kudos as well to Elon, GB and the leadership at Tesla that effectively did a mea culpa and remedied those that felt wronged. Exemplary customer service.