Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging and 60 kWh Model S Orders - Message from George B

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, Tesla. Thank you George. Thank you Elon. Thank you, Board or Executives.

I recall an email from George that stated he had been up until 5:30am answering emails and returning phone calls. Just like where I work, it only takes a few bad situations to turn us all into a bunch of third graders. But (like a concerned caring parent), Tesla let us voice our laundry and decided on a plan of action.

Now

Business model it makes perfect sense: let's say that X of us have the 60kWh. And x is 2500. Y is the total number of 60kWh that Tesla will sell over Z years. With those variables uncertain (my crystal ball is broken and the psychic beanie baby on my computer screen is for show only) one would postulate that the number of people that were relieved to hear this may be that x, or 2500. The other variables may place the 60kWh owners (future owners) into the tens of thousands and, as such, this move "cost" the company less than 10% (more likely less than 2 or 3%) of their revenue for - what?

For happy customers who talk about their car (they don't even have) on a daily basis.

Small advertizing price to pay. Small pennance for a wrong decision for a fledgling company.

Again, thank you all in upper management.

Regards
WJ
P188
McKinney, Texas (85kWh, but still loves a good battle of missives)
(typed very fastly like with no spell checking ...)

Tesla closed the loop with this email now - thanks again, GB and Tesla! (this time from a human; my Vulcan self spoke last night!)

You are receiving this email because you no longer need to take action on the communication we sent you last week regarding Supercharging. You no longer need to make a decision or respond to the previous email.

After revisiting some of the explanations we used on our website and in our Design Studio the past few months, we feel as though it was not as clear as it should have been regarding the requirement to activate Supercharging on 60 kWh battery cars.

As a result, we are going to waive the entire fee to enable Supercharging on your 60 kWh Model S. You will now receive free, unlimited Supercharging on your car at no additional cost.

We apologize for the confusion. We thought our explanations were clear, but they were not clear enough.

We appreciate your support and understanding. If you have any questions about Supercharging and your order, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or 877.798.3752.

Sincerely,

Tesla Motors

Thank You George, Elon & Tesla. Just received an email indicating the fee is waived. I and perhaps others had already clicked on the "Add Supercharging Access" button in the first email message. Looking forward to P1431 later this year. :cool:

Definitely the correct decision to take care of folks who locked in without having this information to make an informed decision. At least one of them might have wanted to spend $9k more to upgrade to 85kWh if they had had this information. This decision should take ALL the sting out of it.

Going forward, prospective purchasers will need to decide. IMHO, the decision is between a 40kWh around-town luxury car and an 85kWh road-trippable car. $2k is too much for the "just-in-case" or the "resale value" scenarios.
But it's actually perfect for me since I have a known long trip (170 miles) several times a year that will pass through a super charger location. An 85 kWh pack wouldn't need the super charger and a 60 kWh pack is necessary to make the journey. To make it without hypermiling (since it is over two sets of mountains) a supercharger is required.

Anyways. Thanks George B and all of Tesla. This was the right decision. Though, anyone who was following closely knew there was going to be a fee for the super charger (I never expected there to not be), so I sympathize with your assumptions.

Well played George (and the rest of the Tesla team).

I have been one of the most vocal critics of the way this was originally handled, most of my frustration coming from a feeling of being deceived and that I could no longer afford the 60kw version. Now that I've had time to reflect, this absolutely the correct solution. Even though I have not yet signed an MVPA and won't benefit from this remedy, I am pleased to know I will be able to trust Tesla to do the right thing in the future. Thanks for reinstilling the faith.

I will still thoroughly enjoy my new 40kw!

I have been one of the most vocal critics of the way this was originally handled, most of my frustration coming from a feeling of being deceived and that I could no longer afford the 60kw version. Now that I've had time to reflect, this absolutely the correct solution. Even though I have not yet signed an MVPA and won't benefit from this remedy, I am pleased to know I will be able to trust Tesla to do the right thing in the future. Thanks for reinstilling the faith.

Nice, Chas ... nice.

As one of those who finalized my build (P5250) for the 60kWh model, I was really stressed when I received my Friday night email informing me of the $1000 cost to enable SuperCharging. While Tesla's offer to split the $2000 cost with me seamed fair, I was still disappointed, and sure that I would have to pass on that feature (because of the announced cost of annual maintenance). Wow - what a difference today made! Customer service above and beyond anything I would have expected from a car company! Thank you does not even begin to cover it.

I am, once again, beyond impressed with the responsiveness and openness from Tesla. While I'm an 85kWh reservation holder, I was not sure I liked how this went down. This shows me how responsive and focused Tesla is on the customer and makes me pleased as a reservation holder (P457), share holder and enthusiast.

Truly, well done.

You saw a perceived issue, responded and fixed it.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you sure do try hard!

Good to see the class coming from both sides!

Only 4 pages? How come we can fill 25 pages of *complaining* when only a few dozen can say thank you?

Because it only affects the those who have configured/signed MVPA's with 60kw packs. By my guesstimate is less than 700 configurations so far. So in essence Tesla's "eating" 700K. The rest of us complainers are complaining about charges/changes that are applicable to much wider audience.

4 pages per 700 reservation holders is a much higher ratio than 25 pages for 10,000 reservation holders.

Supercharging and 60 kWh Model S Orders

...I wish we had been more clear, but we were not, so it is up to us to make it right…

The fee to enable Supercharging for all currently finalized and signed 60 kWh cars is waived.

Thanks... GeorgeB

George, this is super for so many, and for Tesla. Many buying a 60kWh Model S were likely reaching from a budget that better supported a 40kWh Model S and the extra cost to supercharge requiring a commitment on such short notice was just tough. Really great news, and beyond fair - this is is remarkable example of a company reaching out to its core customers. Bravo! So enjoyed meeting you in Natick, Mass last Thursday. To the future -