TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharging at 386 mph! Anyone seen faster?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Reed, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Reed

Reed Member

The fastest charging I have noticed so far in my car is 386 mph at Tejon Ranch in CA. My car has SW ver 5.6. Has anyone seen any faster rates? Sorry for the blurry cam photo.

photo.JPG

2. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

I got 388 when I started charging in slot 1A of an otherwise empty Tejon Ranch SC tonight. By time I grabbed the iPhone to snap a picture it'd dropped to 386, then 385 then 384 etc. We pulled in having crossed Hwy 58 from the Atascadero SC.

3. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

A few things to remember:
    1. The mph displayed is the average charge rate for the session.
    2. The present power being consumed is Volts x Amps. In the case above, it is 305 Amps x 370 Volts = 112.85 kW. Very nice!!
    3. Pick your number for "Rated" W-hr/mi, I use 308. 112.85 kW/308 W-hr/mi = 366 mph.
    4. The taper starts very soon, and you will see the highest rates of charge at the lowest states of charge. Note the one above started at 30 miles rated range left.
    5. Happy Supercharging!

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Wow that is fast!

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for the day that IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!

6. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

This is a confirmed fact?

Going from memory, I'm pretty sure I've seen very low numbers at the end of a range charge, like 30 mi/hr. This would be around the 1 hour mark, implying that I put in 30 miles over that 1 hour? No way I averaged out to charging at NEMA 14-50 rates over the course of that session.

7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I think it might be some rolling average. (At least on 4.5, which I'm still stuck with.) It's something in between the average of the whole session and the instantaneous rate. Basically useless in my opinion. The current and voltage readings are essentially instantaneous, though.

8. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I have not confirmed with 5.6, but with 4.5, it was the average of the session, on the dot. I will confirm with 5.6 when I hit a supercharger again in early December.

9. Shane

Shane Member

At Port Orange and Port St Lucie (FL) SC I have gotten over 390 mph. Always stall 1a. Only one charging. I kept that rate for first 50 miles of charge.. Was on firmware 5.0.

image.jpg

10. Ames

Ames Member

Well done Shane...I think you maxed out that SC at 119.355 kW; that's going to take some beating.

11. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

OK, So I cheated a little by using "Ideal" miles, but still, 335A X 365V = 122.275 kW.
    This is at the Burlington NC supercharger, stall 1A, no others charging. Firmware 5.0.

IMG_2151.jpg

12. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

Very jealous...no Superchargers over here and none planned it seems... boo

The fastest charge I've seen is 24 mph and that's on my home line. The fastest public charger I've seen here is 21 mph. sigh...

13. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

But..... at least we get to live in Hawaii :biggrin:

14. WeazL

WeazL Moderator - Hawaii

This is true. There's nothing quite like the feeling of driving your MS along the ocean coast with the windows down and sunroof open on a beautiful day! Hey, it's mid-November and it's 80 degrees and sunny out--lets take the S out for a circle-island spin! :cool:

...but don't forget to charge first--there's no Superchargers anywhere on the island. On the bright side, there's 150+ level 2 chargers all over the place.