Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging at High Altitude

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car overheated while supercharging last week. It was a long charge (approx 1.5 hours) at high altitude (7,000 ft). The result was I got an error message that said battery cooling and A/C were affected and to contact Tesla service. The A/C did not work again in the car until it had been parked overnight.

This has never happened before so I wonder if the issue is that the car cools the battery less effectively at higher altitudes due to the thin air? It was about 90f outside while I was charging.

My car overheated while supercharging last week. It was a long charge (approx 1.5 hours) at high altitude (7,000 ft). The result was I got an error message that said battery cooling and A/C were affected and to contact Tesla service. The A/C did not work again in the car until it had been parked overnight.

This has never happened before so I wonder if the issue is that the car cools the battery less effectively at higher altitudes due to the thin air? It was about 90f outside while I was charging.

The A/C may have had a fault which caused it to shut off and stop cooling the coolant and battery.
Altitude does reduce density and so requires more cubic feet of air for the same heat reduction, but I do not think that was the cause. The car can reduce the charge rate is the pack is too warm.

There are lots of superchargers near or above 7k feet in the Sierras. Based on your location I assume you’re probably talking about one of them. I’ve used several of them many times (fish camp, mammoth lakes, topaz lake) and never had an issue. Also never seen another report of someone having a similar issue at those stations.

I bet your message was "Limited A/C and Battery Cooling Contact Tesla Service".

High altitude isn't the problem. Your A/C system is malfunctioning. It will get worse over time.
I had the same message just driving 1hr to and from work when it was only 75º outside.