TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharging at High Altitude

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Black/Black MS, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Black/Black MS

My car overheated while supercharging last week. It was a long charge (approx 1.5 hours) at high altitude (7,000 ft). The result was I got an error message that said battery cooling and A/C were affected and to contact Tesla service. The A/C did not work again in the car until it had been parked overnight.

This has never happened before so I wonder if the issue is that the car cools the battery less effectively at higher altitudes due to the thin air? It was about 90f outside while I was charging.

2. cpsss

cpsss Member

sounds like the coolant is boiled..

3. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

The A/C may have had a fault which caused it to shut off and stop cooling the coolant and battery.
    Altitude does reduce density and so requires more cubic feet of air for the same heat reduction, but I do not think that was the cause. The car can reduce the charge rate is the pack is too warm.

4. henderrj

henderrj Member

I also think it was some other error. I have charged in Colorado at that altitude and very hot temperatures, I think it was around 90, and certainly never had any issues.

5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

7000ft ASL isn’t that high at all and the cars should not have a problem. If I recall, air should be around 80% as dense at 7000ft ASL compared to see level. A little thinner, but should not prevent AC or charging from working.

6. Zorg

Zorg Member

I have supercharged a few times at 6000' and it worked just like at sea level.

7. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

There are lots of superchargers near or above 7k feet in the Sierras. Based on your location I assume you’re probably talking about one of them. I’ve used several of them many times (fish camp, mammoth lakes, topaz lake) and never had an issue. Also never seen another report of someone having a similar issue at those stations.

8. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

I recently charged several times in Silverthorne, CO (elevation over 9,000 ft) with temps in the mid 80s with no issues.

9. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

I bet your message was "Limited A/C and Battery Cooling Contact Tesla Service".

High altitude isn't the problem. Your A/C system is malfunctioning. It will get worse over time.
    I had the same message just driving 1hr to and from work when it was only 75º outside.

10. Black/Black MS

That was it, exactly. How did they fix yours?