TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharging at Home (error)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by NuclearPowered, Dec 16, 2015.

1. NuclearPowered

Car has been intermittently reporting that it is supercharging while plugged in at home. Happening on a brand new UMC and an older UMC. Service has looked at it once and now is going to be looking into it again. Posting to see if anyone else has run into this issue and what solutions were employed. I'll be passing them along to service center.

Center screen reboot fixes error for some amount of time but it always has returned. Have not actually supercharged the car since error started to occur. Car has dual chargers, but I doubt that is contributing.

85966b9f14dabc3d079debe80000eaec.jpg

2. FrederikBoivin

I have this issue also.
    Will be servicing the car mid january for a second DU replacement (now running at 120,000 km), and will address the issue.
    What bothers me more is that my charging is kind of erratic at home... 40A, 30A... even not charging...

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've seen the "Supercharging" message as well, but just since v7 of the firmware. Otherwise charging is rock solid.

4. NuclearPowered

#4 NuclearPowered, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Have you also been able to supercharge successfully?

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I don't Supercharge that often (last time was in October), but yes it seems to be fine. It better be fine because I'm heading out on a Toronto to Chicago road trip with my family on Saturday!

I think this "Supercharging" message on the app is just a glitch in the recent software.

6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Maybe it means that it is Super to be Charging at home...

7. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

I had an issue last summer where the OTA update failed to install. While the car mostly worked, there were a few software glitches here and there. One of them was that when I plugged the car in at home (at the time we were charging at 120v, 20a), it would report charging at 500 mi/hr, despite clearly not.

Tesla tried diagnosing it remotely and determined we had some hardware issue. I'm still not sure exactly what it was, but they ended up replacing our center display unit and its been fine since.

8. NuclearPowered

As an update to anyone following this thread. Service said it was a firmware issue. Car has been updated OTA twice since we had it in. Has not reoccured since.