Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging at over 1000 km/hr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2A04FFA3-4163-4D65-A381-7A4DCD589FDA.jpeg

In Mississauga supercharging station. 14 degree, 26% and drove for just 22 minutes.

Fill to 86% in 30 minutes just great

How is the cost of your current session $19.60 when you are only at 26% charge? I havent supercharged before, but that doesnt seem to make sense. Even fully charging the battery from 0 % shouldn't cost that much on a supercharger should it? I always thought they were about 2-3x more than charging at home and a 75 kWh battery ~ $0.13/kWh should cost around around $10...I'm confused....:oops:

How is the cost of your current session $19.60 when you are only at 26% charge? I havent supercharged before, but that doesnt seem to make sense. Even fully charging the battery from 0 % shouldn't cost that much on a supercharger should it? I always thought they were about 2-3x more than charging at home and a 75 kWh battery ~ $0.13/kWh should cost around around $10...I'm confused....:oops:

Must be a bug (showing the last supercharging session cost). The screen shows that this is at the very start of the supercharging session (+ 0kWh). Also in Canada, due to regulations, Tesla charges per minute and not by kWh.

Supercharging

Reactions: APotatoGod

Good eyes. The current session reflected the pre-delivery session, that was done, by service guy, at the sales center before I picked up my car Dec 1, 2018. It was never updated after that.

I have 9 months free supercharging and that may be the reason why it wasn't updated at all.

• Informative
Must be a bug (showing the last supercharging session cost). The screen shows that this is at the very start of the supercharging session (+ 0kWh). Also in Canada, due to regulations, Tesla charges per minute and not by kWh.

Supercharging

I know, but its easier to calculate approximates by kWh which how we 'should' be allowed to supercharge, but since its 'illegal' to sell electricity by kWh it goes by time, which is dumb because you pay double for charging at 61kW vs 59 kW, despite only having 3% higher charge rate....

This was particularly bothersome when using public stations on my volts (both) which are limited to a 3.3-3.6 kW charge rate. Since public stations have to charge by time and not the amount of energy delivered it makes charging a volt on a paid public station ridiculously expensive. Some places are like $1.50-2.00/hour and at that price its cheaper to use gas in a volt since it would be about $8 to fill the battery which gets between 70-100km of range....but because a different EV could charge at double that rate the slow charging volt gets hosed...not that I'm bitter about that or anything :rolleyes:

Good eyes. The current session reflected the pre-delivery session, that was done, by service guy, at the sales center before I picked up my car Dec 1, 2018. It was never updated after that.

I have 9 months free supercharging and that may be the reason why it wasn't updated at all.

Ah, that makes sense. It was bugging me trying to figure out how it could have been that much with the pic you showed :cool:

Last edited:
I was at this specific supercharger last week but I didn't get the same charge rate as you did.... It was at around 80 kW only...

I know.

Last Wednesday it was charging at 805 km/hr at 142 kw with only 16% of battery power.

Before 12.1, I only managed around 500 km/hr; then at 700 ish, 800 ish. Today it was over 1000 which is a record as far as I'm concerned.

At that kind of charging rate, I barely have time to walk to Starbuck, sit down and enjoy the coffee there before I have to walk back. Lol.

I know.

Last Wednesday it was charging at 805 km/hr at 142 kw with only 16% of battery power.

Before 12.1, I only managed around 500 km/hr; then at 700 ish, 800 ish. Today it was over 1000 which is a record as far as I'm concerned.

At that kind of charging rate, I barely have time to walk to Starbuck, sit down and enjoy the coffee there before I have to walk back. Lol.
Definition of 1st world problems lol :D

I know.

This is exactly why I feel these extra high charge rates are soon going to get out of hand.

I think the charging stations need to have set up an express lane and a casual lane.

In my case with a young family, I don’t think I will ever need a 250kw charge rate as it will be faster then we could ever use. 3 bathroom breaks and a diaper change, then feed everyone and let everyone stretch. I sometimes have to move the car before all that is done.

I understand the 250kw charger basically only exists for someone in a rush, or to help gas people feel like “electric is catching up, maybe now we can go electric”, but the reality is, it’s bragging rights and knowing our cars can do it if we “need” it

View attachment 412473

In Mississauga supercharging station. 14 degree, 26% and drove for just 22 minutes.

Fill to 86% in 30 minutes just great
I live in Ohio and just got home from a road trip to Charleston South Carolina in my M3. With la latest update I was charging at 500 Mies Per Hour up to about 75% charge. In the US I was charged by the kW. I paid no more than about $11 US. Either way it’s still better than buying gas.

Reactions: hey.stephen