Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Bonus or Error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my M3 is September. Originally the salesman told me I'd get a free year of Supercharging(I knew that was wrong because Tesla had stopped doing that). When I picked the car up I was told I was not getting any free supercharging miles. I wasn't happy, but a customer gave me a referral in the store and I was told I had 1,000 free supercharging miles.
I figured I was halfway there so today I went to look up my account balance. Much to my surprise, it says I have unlimited Supercharging until Oct 6, 2021.
Do you think Tesla is going to steal that back from me? LOL
I took possession of the car on Sep 21, so I can't figure out why I am getting 2 years plus 2 weeks of Supercharging. It smells like a mistake to me that I hope doesn't change!
I've seen threads about this topic, but I'm curious what the current Tesla policy on Supercharging credits is. It seems random.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
My car was also purchased in late September, at the time I was told that to meet quarterly goals they would provide 2-year free supercharging for delivery before 9/30/2019, which I received. It sounds as though you did as well, although it may not have been explained to you.

Reactions: linux-works
My car was also purchased in late September, at the time I was told that to meet quarterly goals they would provide 2-year free supercharging for delivery before 9/30/2019, which I received. It sounds as though you did as well, although it may not have been explained to you.

Is your ending date exactly two years from the day you bought the car? I got the run around on the Supercharging network credits for the week leading up to taking possession. Everything from no free miles to 2 years, but when I walked out the door they said it was strictly 1,000 miles. I've only supercharged twice in four months so I didn't pay any attention to my account. Now that a supercharger opened in my town this week it may make me think twice!

I have 10,000 bonus referral miles that in theory should expire after 12 months but the app does not display an expiration date. So I have no idea if Tesla has set up their system to track an expiration date for the bonus miles.

It's 12 months from the most recent referral- you should be able to see when each took delivery (might need to be at tesla.com account rather than the app for that though)

I figured I was halfway there so today I went to look up my account balance. Much to my surprise, it says I have unlimited Supercharging until Oct 6, 2021.
Do you think Tesla is going to steal that back from me? LOL
I took possession of the car on Sep 21, so I can't figure out why I am getting 2 years plus 2 weeks of Supercharging. It smells like a mistake to me that I hope doesn't change!
I've seen threads about this topic, but I'm curious what the current Tesla policy on Supercharging credits is. It seems random.

When did you order the M3?
Most likely you got the 2-year SC promotion.
Mine was delivered 9/28, and account also says free SC till Oct 6, 2020.

Reactions: toolman335
They're seriously, concerningly incompetent with stuff like this. It's got to be a manual army of cheap labor doing this stuff. It's clearly not an automated system like any reasonable person would expect. I've bounced around between free unlimited, expires 08/2019 (correct), unlimited, pay per use, and currently back to "expires 08/2019" per the website. They mostly get the actual charges right, though I'm still showing 15 charges from a road trip in December at $0. My account logged them but they're not showing any dollar charge for some reason. Kind of annoying, just charge my card already... or don't...

• Funny
Reactions: dchobo
I got lucky and purchased by Model 3 Performance with lifetime supercharging back in 2018. Have racked up approximately $3000 of supercharging so far over 55k miles and hope to put in 10 years of service, 1.2 years of service so far. This was the reason I changed from AWD to performance.

Reactions: toolman335
I got lucky and purchased by Model 3 Performance with lifetime supercharging back in 2018. Have racked up approximately $3000 of supercharging so far over 55k miles and hope to put in 10 years of service, 1.2 years of service so far. This was the reason I changed from AWD to performance.

Wow, so are you saying basically all of your charging is supercharging? (Very rough: $3k at avg $0.28/kwh = ~10.7 MWh at ~270 Wh/mile = ~40k miles). I'm envious. I love road tripping in the 3, but I have young kids and the old job that limits my adventures. One day maybe...

Your account says "Free Unlimited Supercharging" or "Pay Per Use"?

Some people are reporting that their account says "Pay Per Use" but still get free SuperCharging

I have 10,000 bonus referral miles that in theory should expire after 12 months but the app does not display an expiration date. So I have no idea if Tesla has set up their system to track an expiration date for the bonus miles.

You have to log in to your Tesla.com account to see your supercharging standing(as well as premium connectivity). I can't figure out how to find my supercharging history, but I don' care too much about that. Mine says "free supercharging until Oct 6, 2020." I had no idea.

When did you order the M3?
Most likely you got the 2-year SC promotion.
Mine was delivered 9/28, and account also says free SC till Oct 6, 2020.

Mine was delivered 9/21. I'm happy to find a fellow brother who has the Oct 6 expiration date lol. Charging in my garage is my favorite thing in the world, but I may rethink it a bit with a new SC coming online last week down the road and finding out about my account status.

You have to log in to your Tesla.com account to see your supercharging standing(as well as premium connectivity). I can't figure out how to find my supercharging history, but I don' care too much about that. Mine says "free supercharging until Oct 6, 2020." I had no idea.

There are two types of supercharging bonus miles. If you have unlimited supercharging miles for a period of time, this will show up under your account with an expiration date.

If you have a fixed number of bonus miles from a referral link, these do not show up on your Tesla account on the website. It will still show pay per use supercharging. You will see the bonus miles in the app under Loot Box but you will not see an expiration date for these miles.

I am still not sure if Tesla is properly tracking the expiration date of the referral miles that show up on the Loot Box since they do not display an expiration date.