Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Supercharging' cheaper than fuel...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The attached is from the Tesla Australia website today 21 January 19.
The calculator assumes $1.15/litre - in really today it's $132.3/ litre.
Since the SC price hike - this is not really truth in advertising.
I have free supercharging - but at these costs less people are going to drive EV's. I know most charge at home, as I do - but supercharging prices are now an incentive for flat earthers to stay with ICEs.
20190121_082045.jpg

Reactions: 2012MS85
*From my understanding Supercharging has risen in price from 35 cents per unit to 47 cents per unit in Australia.
*Virtually all vehicles in Australia have free Supercharging (including mine)
* All vehicles sold from now on will be subject to the Supercharging cost (including any future Tesla I purchase so I have a foot in both camps)
*All future vehicles have 400kwh free Supercharging per year (over 2000kms in a model 3)

My verdict is I see this as a good move,
*It will reduce the amount of drivers blocking up their local Superchargers when spaces should be available for travellers.
*It will make more electric vehicle owners consider low cost solar home charging.
*Most importantly at a price of 47 cents per unit this will make the installation of charging facilites far more attractive for business that have been holding back until now.
Short term this may cost Tesla a few car sales in Australia, long term its a winner.

*From my understanding Supercharging has risen in price from 35 cents per unit to 47 cents per unit in Australia.
* All vehicles sold from now on will be subject to the Supercharging cost (including any future Tesla I purchase so I have a foot in both camps)
*All future vehicles have 400kwh free Supercharging per year (over 2000kms in a model 3)

My verdict is I see this as a good move,
*It will reduce the amount of drivers blocking up their local Superchargers when spaces should be available for travellers.
*It will make more electric vehicle owners consider low cost solar home charging.
*Most importantly at a price of 47 cents per unit this will make the installation of charging facilites far more attractive for business that have been holding back until now.
Short term this may cost Tesla a few car sales in Australia, long term its a winner.
I don’t think too many people are spending $150k + for some free power, but country supercharging stations to allow distance trips should create sales, as it removes the EV limitation. I cannot see removal of free supercharging costing tesla sales, unlike removal of the 75kwh battery.

I don’t think too many people are spending $150k + for some free power,

I don't agree with this point. We are talking about trying to bring traditional ICE drivers across to EV's in a competitive market. Price and value are extremely important.

If Porsche, Audi or BMW etc offered a $150k car with free fuel for the life of the car - there'd be no shortage of buyers, sales would increase dramatically.

My point isn't there shouldn't be a charge (we should be expanding the SC network) my point is that if fuel and electricity costs are now on par - we have lost an edge we previously had over fossil fuels.

The calculator assumes $1.15/litre - in really today it's $132.3/ litre.
Since the SC price hike - this is not really truth in advertising.
View attachment 370439

Also not truth in advertising - there’s fairly recent research into the social cost including the environmental cost - at least another $1.00 per litre. So figure the real total is more than $2.50 per litre. Thinking about it logically it’s much more than that when you consider the value of a liveable planet. If that’s too difficult a concept to grasp for the conservative minded, they should at least consider the astronomical economic damage of inaction - GDP -> $0.00

“Illustrative calculations indicate environmental damages are $330-970 billion yr−1 for current US electricity generation (~14–34¢ per kWh for coal, ~4–18¢ for gas) and $3.80 (−1.80/+2.10) per gallon of gasoline ($4.80 (−3.10/+3.50) per gallon for diesel). These results suggest that total atmosphere-related environmental damages plus generation costs are much greater for coal-fired power than other types of electricity generation, and that damages associated with gasoline vehicles substantially exceed those for electric vehicles.”

The social cost of atmospheric release

Most early adopters did not spend all those dollars to save on fuel costs, from an economic stand point (unless one was using smoked and mirrors to convince ones better half on the purchase), however Model 3 owners will be vastly more price sensitive and this needs to be taken in to account. Now Telsa needs to be profitable, so what really needs to happen is to educated people that 90% (or more) charging occurs at home and the advantages of this...most Tesla owners (I assume) would understand this well....

@Jays200 maybe fill up a mighty X7 or Merc 450 and compare to an X...to be fair in terms of class of vehicle ;)

I've come from 25 years of Landcruiser ownership, the last 10 years was a 200 series diesel. My dad still has my old '02 100 series with 280l fuel tank. At $1.85/l in 2008 it was the best part of a $500 fill up for about 2200kms of range. Lived in Karratha for 12 years. That's about 20 fills of the 100D at home rates or about 8000kms. Even at the newer SC rates it would be about 4000kms. Landcruiser only had half the power of the X, same torque, no smarts and not a "supercar".

Just on fuel costs alone, if I'd paid home rates for every unit of power the X has ever used, the X is about a third the cost to fill up when compared to the V8 diesel 'Cruiser. The Corolla is the work hack and dogs to the park bus.

I think they took away the 400kwh a year free allowance last year - you get nothing included on future purchases once the current scheme ends

I can only think, and it makes sense, they want future buyers to only use Superchargers when they absolutely need to, its so easy now to stop at one and get a top up if passing and you need a coffee whether you need the charge or not.

I was discussing my car this evening with a group of very well-off people, and the main comment was "wow you can charge for free!?"
My wife doesn't want me to trade my MS for a new one because she loves the free supercharging.
People just aren't rational.

• Love
Reactions: 2012MS85
I was discussing my car this evening with a group of very well-off people, and the main comment was "wow you can charge for free!?"
My wife doesn't want me to trade my MS for a new one because she loves the free supercharging.
People just aren't rational.
Perfectly said! I’ve stated it before and will repeat it here...many (not all) rich people (who can afford gas costs, in addition to their expensive Tesla) still love the gimmick of “free fuel.” I also have had this exact same response from many actual and potential Tesla buyers (including referrals I’ve made) who are drawn to the free Supercharging simply because of the FREE part. I agree the value might be irrational, but many humans are simply that ;)