TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharging cost for M3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by akgM3, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. akgM3

akgM3 Member

Hi,

Want to check if anybody else has same issue:
    - I charged my M3 at supercharger and my car showed total amount of supercharging, $11.44 but on my Credit card the amount was $11.96.

This happened earlier also. When I contacted Tesla, they said the amount charged is correct and car is showing incorrect amount.

I asked them when it will be fixed, to which they did not reply.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

50 cents tip

Joking aside, did you calculate kWh * cost/kWh ?

• Like x 1
  3. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. akgM3

akgM3 Member

Here are screenshots from car and from Tesla Website for same charging session.

upload_2018-5-29_7-43-7.png

Car does not show the kWh value.

Attached Files:

5. akgM3

akgM3 Member

That reason does not make sense to me because the amount is difference of 2kWh cost, not just one.

Whatever the issue is, I am trying to understand if the issue is only with my car or problem seen by others also.

6. SageBrush

#6 SageBrush, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    The car shows rated miles, right ?
    Pay attention to before and after

Or just use SoC for a pretty good estimate:
    Since 100% is 78 kWh for the LR Model 3
    Each percent increase is 0.78 kWh

Example:
    You pull into SC at 20% SoC and leave at 40%
    20*0.78 = 15.6 kWh
    Expect bill of 15.6 * 0.26 = $4.05

One thing I am unsure of is whether we are paying by kWh pulled from the meter or kWh into the battery. If the former then the bill will be ~ 10% higher than calculated.

Addendum: typo corrected: 0.78 kW -> 0.78 kWh

7. akgM3

akgM3 Member

I rarely supercharge, so will have to wait till when I go next time.

That is why trying to check with community if anybody else can also keep an eye on this.

Just trying to get the puzzle solved. :)

8. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

This has been reported over and over since the Model 3 came out. Amazed that Tesla hasn't fixed something so dumb yet.

9. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

I read somewhere that the car updates at 3kWh intervals. So your car did not update showing the last 2. When you look at the detailed breakdown it shows exact.

• Informative x 2
  10. akgM3

akgM3 Member

Got reply from Tesla service, they are going to fix the issue in firmware. Don't know ETA yet.

11. CaptainAwesome

I supercharged for the first time this weekend and my screen showed $0.75 until it completed. I got home and looked later and it charged me $9.00. I knew the $0.75 wasn't correct, but it's a little annoying that it doesn't keep it at least close to what I got charged.

12. MrYenko

MrYenko Member

I recently took a trip from Fort Lauderdale FL, to Atlanta GA, Savannah GA, Saint Augustine FL, and then back home. The first supercharge stop (both for the trip, and for the car since new,) at Fort Drum FL doesn't appear on my account, and it doesn't seem like I've been billed for it. Additionally, when i stopped there and opened the app once inside (it was pouring) my Tesla app dumped me to the login screen, saying that there was no car associated with my account. I closed the app, restarted it, logged in, and all was well from then on, but I see no record of the stop. (And it was a significant charge. I pulled in with <50mi remaining, and left with over 230mi.)

Interestingly, supercharges in FL seem to be billed per kWh delivered @ $0.22/kWh. Stops in GA were billed on a two-step rate per minute. Either $0.11 a minute or $0.22 a minute.

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

That depends on state law. In states where it’s not allowed to bill by kWh (because it’s not utility) it bills by the minute, with a higher rate when charging above 60 kW so there is a rough approximation of billing per energy unit delivered.

14. SageBrush

State by State