Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging cost for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Want to check if anybody else has same issue:
- I charged my M3 at supercharger and my car showed total amount of supercharging, $11.44 but on my Credit card the amount was $11.96.

This happened earlier also. When I contacted Tesla, they said the amount charged is correct and car is showing incorrect amount.

I asked them when it will be fixed, to which they did not reply.

50 cents tip

Joking aside, did you calculate kWh * cost/kWh ?

Here are screenshots from car and from Tesla Website for same charging session.

upload_2018-5-29_7-43-7.png

Car does not show the kWh value.

Attachments

• IMG_20180527_184602.jpg
    IMG_20180527_184602.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 104
The car shows rated miles, right ?
Pay attention to before and after

Or just use SoC for a pretty good estimate:
Since 100% is 78 kWh for the LR Model 3
Each percent increase is 0.78 kWh

Example:
You pull into SC at 20% SoC and leave at 40%
20*0.78 = 15.6 kWh
Expect bill of 15.6 * 0.26 = $4.05

One thing I am unsure of is whether we are paying by kWh pulled from the meter or kWh into the battery. If the former then the bill will be ~ 10% higher than calculated.

Addendum: typo corrected: 0.78 kW -> 0.78 kWh

Last edited:
The car shows rated miles, right ?
Pay attention to before and after

Or just use SoC for a pretty good estimate:
Since 100% is 78 kWh for the LR Model 3
Each percent increase is 0.78 kW

Example:
You pull into SC at 20% SoC and leave at 40%
20*0.78 = 15.6 kWh
Expect bill of 15.6 * 0.26 = $4.05

One thing I am unsure of is whether we are paying by kWh pulled from the meter or kWh into the battery. If the former then the bill will be ~ 10% higher than calculated.

I rarely supercharge, so will have to wait till when I go next time.

That is why trying to check with community if anybody else can also keep an eye on this.

Just trying to get the puzzle solved. :)

I supercharged for the first time this weekend and my screen showed $0.75 until it completed. I got home and looked later and it charged me $9.00. I knew the $0.75 wasn't correct, but it's a little annoying that it doesn't keep it at least close to what I got charged.

I recently took a trip from Fort Lauderdale FL, to Atlanta GA, Savannah GA, Saint Augustine FL, and then back home. The first supercharge stop (both for the trip, and for the car since new,) at Fort Drum FL doesn't appear on my account, and it doesn't seem like I've been billed for it. Additionally, when i stopped there and opened the app once inside (it was pouring) my Tesla app dumped me to the login screen, saying that there was no car associated with my account. I closed the app, restarted it, logged in, and all was well from then on, but I see no record of the stop. (And it was a significant charge. I pulled in with <50mi remaining, and left with over 230mi.)

Interestingly, supercharges in FL seem to be billed per kWh delivered @ $0.22/kWh. Stops in GA were billed on a two-step rate per minute. Either $0.11 a minute or $0.22 a minute.

Interestingly, supercharges in FL seem to be billed per kWh delivered @ $0.22/kWh. Stops in GA were billed on a two-step rate per minute. Either $0.11 a minute or $0.22 a minute.
That depends on state law. In states where it’s not allowed to bill by kWh (because it’s not utility) it bills by the minute, with a higher rate when charging above 60 kW so there is a rough approximation of billing per energy unit delivered.