Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging cost vs actual range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

260guy

Jun 25, 2021
USA
Hello,

Fairly new Tesla Y owner here. Looking for some guidance and instruction. We took our second road trip last weekend and our first to have to pay for supercharging. I didn't pay much attention to the cost or mileage on the first trip since it was covered under the free 1000 miles from Tesla. This time I did, and either I am making a mistake somewhere, there is something wrong, or that is just the way it is. I am hoping you can fill me in on which it is. In a nutshell I traveled 250 miles, stopped 3 times to charge and spent $35.00 dollars. Cost varied between .35/Kwh and .38/Kwh. Used about 95/Kwh to travel 250 miles. Unless I am wrong that means that actual range ( at least for this trip) is about 200 miles not 326 as advertised. Actual mileage equivalent is about 26 mpg. It wasn't cold, the car was not heavily loaded, not towing anything, kept it under 80 etc. I really expected much better. My V8 4x4 does about 23 mpg on the hwy so not much worse considering it is a much bigger and heavier vehicle.

Is this about normal for the model Y? Anything I can look at to get more information. What are you guys getting?

Thanks in advance,

260guy

There are a LOT of threads about range on this forum. I'd bet it's the most talked about topic.

The range of 326 is based on 48 miles per hour, I believe. As you increase speed the range comes down DRAMATICALLY.

This webpage has charts from a few years ago, prior to Model Y, but the Model 3 is a good reference. Using just the very first one in the list you can see that 55 MPH would be 329 miles, but 75 MPH would be 236 miles of range. That's 93 mile loss, or 28% reduction.

I'm not sure how you're getting 26 mpg. Is that a calculation of $/mile?

Are you manually calculating that 23 mpg for your V8 or is that what the car is telling you? I've never had a car give me accurate mpg. Also, the reduction in fuel economy applies to gasoline cars too. It's a function of air resistance at increased speeds. It's more pronounced in EVs because they are already tuned for maximum efficiency, and their range is shorter to begin with.

.38/kWh is higher than anything I've paid. I think my highest was .36, but that was several months ago. Supercharging is only slightly less expensive than gasoline, and I think they do that on purpose. The Supercharger sites are not cheap to build.

You should have been able to do 250 miles with a single stop to charge. How low did you let the battery go, and how much did you charge up to each time?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
95kWh to travel 250mi translates to approx 380Wh/mi which is quite high for a Model Y even driving at 80mph.

Could there be other factors that skewed the results such as this being a one-way trip going up a steep hill or that you completed the trip with a much higher state of charge than you started?