Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Costs

Which will it be?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re. pricing,.. As an example California will be 20 cents vs ~12 cents "all in" for PGE's residential EV rate in NorCal. This will nicely "take care" of most local charging issues and give Tesla funds to re-invest in the SC network..I really don't see them pushing for profits on this, this would be really shortsighted IMO.
Which rate is that? If you're talking baseline, that's generally only worth about 12kWh per day, after which it escalates rapidly.

20c is less than half of my PG&E NorCal peak rate.

Which rate is that? If you're talking baseline, that's generally only worth about 12kWh per day, after which it escalates rapidly.

20c is less than half of my PG&E NorCal peak rate.

http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf

It's non-tiered and time of use, off peak (ie night) is down to ~12 cents. The peak/off peak may be higher than your current ones (it was the case for me with E-6), but net-net, it was positive.

http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf

It's non-tiered and time of use, off peak (ie night) is down to ~12 cents. The peak/off peak may be higher than your current ones (it was the case for me with E-6), but net-net, it was positive.
Ok. I'm on the same plan. You're comparing overnight rates to all day rates at the SC, but I get why you were doing that.

All this charging fee news begs the question, what happened to Elon's public announcements several years ago that each Supercharger site would have a solar canopy with battery storage and that Tesla would be feeding excess energy back to the grid for a profit? Today, very few sites have solar canopies or batteries and new sites coming online usually lack those things too. What's up with that?

Most likely they need the money to ramp up for the higher than expected MS, MX, and M3 demand over the past few years.

All this charging fee news begs the question, what happened to Elon's public announcements several years ago that each Supercharger site would have a solar canopy with battery storage and that Tesla would be feeding excess energy back to the grid for a profit? Today, very few sites have solar canopies or batteries and new sites coming online usually lack those things too. What's up with that?

I think places like the middle Australia are the targets for this.

Tweets from Elon
@FredericLambert There are some installed already, but full rollout really needs Supercharger V3 and Powerpack V2, plus SolarCity. Pieces now in place.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 24, 2016

@djsearle @FredericLambert Yes, grid won't be needed for moderate use Superchargers in non-snowy regions

Why? Because they have over 300K reservations for what promises to be their future best-seller, with - as you say - first deliveries less than a year away. I am sure many of those 300K reservation holders are very eager to know whether those 400 kWh per year of free SC usage applies to them also.

I'd rather ask the other way around "why would Tesla make absolutely no mention of the Model 3, the most talked about BEV currently on the horizon?"
There are no Model 3 cars. The car is still in development. Every Tesla policy about them is still in development.
Patience, grasshopper.

Reactions: Falkirk
I think places like the middle Australia are the targets for this.

Tweets from Elon
@FredericLambert There are some installed already, but full rollout really needs Supercharger V3 and Powerpack V2, plus SolarCity. Pieces now in place.

@djsearle @FredericLambert Yes, grid won't be needed for moderate use Superchargers in non-snowy regions

Yeah, canopies in busy, sunny locations will probably provide more benefit in the form of shade than they will in the form of generated energy. That is, returning to a charged car that was in the shade will require less AC to pre-cool the cabin. I believe Barstow's canopy is only providing this benefit right now, as it hadn't appeared to be connected the last time I saw it. Nobody in the Barstow thread has refuted that in the last year, either.

I agree with you 100%. Tesla's spread on negotiated power costs v. retail should let it make a profit and stay marginally more expensive that residential rates to keep someone from just charging there vs at home.

I am worried in ten years about how Tesla will really start to benefit from higher electricity costs (solar city) and that may change their obligation to shareholders to make a profit.

Think of it as a supermarket loss leader that you have spend at least $35,000 to get. Or the three years of free oil changes some dealers give you when you buy a car.

To date Tesla has generated good free publicity worth tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars with Superchargers. Since none of its competitors seems to want to do something similar, the new plan will allow them to continue to reap that benefit at almost no cost.

One of the reasons that states prohibit re-sale of electricity is to prevent landlords from sub-metering and charging tenants exorbitant rates for power. Each apartment must have it's own power company meter or the monthly rent include utilities.

By the way,

Why does Tesla say 400 kWh is 1000 miles ?
It only makes sense to me if the allowance is before charging losses, meaning about 300 kWh to the battery.
Charging losses are nowhere near that and we don't know if the car or the supercharger is going to do the calculation of how much energy you are getting (I'd imagine it happens on the car side so after losses but who knows).

They are underestimating for people who drive 70-80 mph on the highway. If you're on roads that are 55mph and you're actually going 55mph then you should get more range.

Apologies if this has been answered before, but have they communicated yet wether the annual 400KwH will rollover annually? I didn't see any mention of that anywhere one way or the other, so I am guessing it's a no?

No roll-over. Part of the FAQ

Supercharging

upload_2017-1-13_18-57-33.png

Link,please!
You want a link to know that the Tesla Model 3 and everything surrounding it such as infrastructure, the manufacturing, the battery manufacturing, crash testing, govt doc, and policies surrounding the Tesla Model 3 are a work in progress?

I'll point you to Google.
You can search for such things as "Tesla Model 3"
You can even search for any Tesla presentations, events, and investor calls pertaining to Model 3.

While the initial "design" may be "pencils down", I would say the car, and everything pertaining to it, is still very much in development. If during development an issue is found, then the design might even change slightly.

And the prices of various configurations of the car hasn't been announced yet, so why would anyone expect Tesla to mention Model 3 in this announcement of supercharger pricing?

Tesla announced pricing related to the cars it's selling. Don't read anything more into that.

And the prices of various configurations of the car hasn't been announced yet, so why would anyone expect Tesla to mention Model 3 in this announcement of supercharger pricing?

Tesla announced pricing related to the cars it's selling. Don't read anything more into that.

I think what you see is what you get from this policy.

Exxon doesn't say "hey, you in the Kia, you get a discount on gas compared to the guy in the Benz."

My guess is that the prices won't be any different for the Model 3 than what was just announced.

Reactions: SageBrush